JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried to buy some CCI .40 shot-shells, but they are sold out EVERYWHERE! No hope in sight till end of summer best I can tell. We live in Northern NM, Rattlesnake country, where I carry a g23 every day and I want a way to dispatch rattlers if I need to without concern of how im oriented on my property, considering house, shop, cars, neighbors etc.
I read a lot of articles of guys making .45 acp shotshells with .45 win mag brass, creating a bottle neck design that would cycle in their pistols, but nobody was doing it for .40.
I did some research to find the appropriate "doner" brass that I could cannibalize, and finally found the 10mm Mag. I never knew it existed. I ordered the brass and went to town.
First I cut the case down to 1.050 with a jig I made for my drill press that utilizes a forstner bit to do the cutting. 1.050 is the longest I could make the case for it to eject properly.
F164A496-74D1-4E46-AB3D-6315130E9145.jpeg
Next, lube the case really well with a thick past lube and full length resize with the 10mm auto die.
I followed this with a Dillon .223 taper crimp die to create a shoulder for the case to headspace on (a bullet seat die may work as well if it has a significant funel to allow the case to center and enter the die which is smaller than the case), this is a trial and error routine of adjusting the die and checking that the case is headspacing in the barrel. This you do in conjunction with the third die, a 9mm Luger sizing die, to sharpen the shoulder a little more. Actually a fourth stage is done during test fire which will "fire form" the shoulder nicely for proper headspacing on future loadings, and improves the ability of the round to cycle the slide.
20F83EF8-301A-4C0D-ACA7-2B3966CB2C9A.jpeg
I cut open some 12 ga shells to rob the powder and shot. The wads were made by sharpening a 10mm case and 9mm case. I cut the inner wad from thin cardboard with the 10mm case to separate the powder from the shot. I used a sheet of thin (.040-050")HDPE cutting board material for the top wad cut with the 9mm case. Sharpen the cases with a deburring tool and use a hammer to smak it through against a piece of plywood.
51E6E435-FA52-45F8-8C9F-E2BE6F2B48AF.jpeg
Once I have the shot in the case with the wad on top, I do a slight roll crimp using a 7.62 x 39 sizing die that I sacrificed for the project. I say sacrificed as I had to grind at least .250" off the end so the case could reach the taperd shoulder of the die slightly rolling it in. This gives my 2 benifits, first it retains the wad, but second it aids the round in feeding.
After working up a load starting with 5gr of powder and ending with 6.8 gr, I got 4 of 6 rounds to cycle in the G23, the last two I had to cycle by hand. In retrospect, these last two might not have been fire formed yet.
In the foreground from left to right, an unmodified 10mm Magnum case, a finished shotshell, and a .40 sw round for comparison.
D7DE00B9-51AA-434F-A17B-46489F827D7A.jpeg

Last Edited:
FYI, lonewolf sells a 9mm conversion barrel for your glock but....
THIS IS AWESOME AND I WILL BE GATHERING THE ITEMS TO DO THIS. THERE IS A GUN SHOW THIS WEEKEND I MIGHT GET LUCKY FOR MATERIALS THANKS!

FYI, lonewolf sells a 9mm conversion barrel for your glock but....
THIS IS AWESOME AND I WILL BE GATHERING THE ITEMS TO DO THIS. THERE IS A GUN SHOW THIS WEEKEND I MIGHT GET LUCKY FOR MATERIALS THANKS!
I have the conversion barrels, the problem is the 9mm shotshells do not cycle the slide. And a little anemic on power.
Im going to pick up some copper, electrical ground wire to make some flechette loads this week.
Grafs.com has the 10mm mag brass pretty resonable priced.
Shoot me a message if you have any questions about loading. It was a very satisfying project.
Oh, dont forget the 10mm mag brass requires a large pistol primer.

I have the conversion barrels.....
THANKS FOR THE LOCATION OF THE BRASS.
I just ordered 200 cases!
I had to change my reciol spring but I agree with the 9mm not being quite enough. I used to use a 22 pistol as a kid outside of Durkee, OR. (Near Baker) for rattlers where my grandfather had a gold mine. Then in souther AZ I carried a .44 MAG. Then in Louisiana for the water moccasins I used my .40.

A746853A-CD8B-470B-8A7A-8C3CBD487544.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top