Dime and Bootlace Fixed Remington 700 Bolt Malfunction

Reactions
Rifle (Remington 700 in .223) hadn't been to the range for awhile. Externals very clean. Loaded and pulled the rigger. Didn't fire or mark firing pin. Took bolt out. Then couldn't close it all the way. It wouldn't align the rear of the bolt with the slot in the rifle action. Stumped. Abandoned the range. Talked to son and he informed me of the use of a bootlace and dime. Looked on ...tube and confirmed the directions. Took bolt apart, cleaned, oiled and replaced. Good lesson learned, inexpensive tools and rifle is ready to roll.

ma96782

Reactions
I've seen a similar "fix" used on a Mauser bolt with a "side" safety lever.

Before....I use to use a "spray cleaner" though the firing pin hole and/or any gap(s) I could take advantage of.

Aloha, Mark

OP
G
Reactions
After all Youtube guidance, reading online and postings for response the barreled action was taken to a gunsmith, of sorts. He charged $30 dollars to try to insert go and no-gauges. Bolt already wouldn't close. Left frustrated and demoralized. Did research and found a gunsmith with a sound reputation . On my last really close study I see a broken screw that looks like it was drilled in foremost tap for scope mount. Praying it isn't in to the chamber causing the problem! Will know soon.

OP
G
Reactions
Excellent Arizona gunsmith discovered Oregon gunsmith hadn't removed all the broken scope mount tap. Oregon smith left estimated .008 of damaged tap in place and it was coming into contact with locking lug on bolt. Small piece removed and rifle functions as designed.

Lessons learned: how to disassemble a Remington bolt; don't assume a gunsmith is capable or informed simply because he has tools, a shop and a title; ultimately I'm responsible for safety and functioning of all my guns. Appreciate all the suggestions and good ideas. This is a good forum.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic Customer Service!
    Recently, they helped my lady transfer a pistol to a family member in CA. Most FFLs would have told us to pound sand when we mentioned where we...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    One of the best!
    I have bought from online and in person. Great store, he had things I did not know were needed. I try and recommend Highline Firearms to people I...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    The only gunsmith I'll use
    Tim has done a few projects for me and the result is always the same. Amazing. End of story. From complete refinish to custom machining, Tim is...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    great work refinishing my 27 year old 1991 a1 compact colt .45
    Tim did a great job making my gun look brand new again and replacing the old parts inside. Super Happy!!
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
Top Bottom