JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rifle (Remington 700 in .223) hadn't been to the range for awhile. Externals very clean. Loaded and pulled the rigger. Didn't fire or mark firing pin. Took bolt out. Then couldn't close it all the way. It wouldn't align the rear of the bolt with the slot in the rifle action. Stumped. Abandoned the range. Talked to son and he informed me of the use of a bootlace and dime. Looked on ...tube and confirmed the directions. Took bolt apart, cleaned, oiled and replaced. Good lesson learned, inexpensive tools and rifle is ready to roll.

I've seen a similar "fix" used on a Mauser bolt with a "side" safety lever.

Before....I use to use a "spray cleaner" though the firing pin hole and/or any gap(s) I could take advantage of.

Aloha, Mark

Did clean all internal parts of bolt with brake cleaner. Also, carefully cleaned Jewel trigger to assure not further malfunctions.:eek:

After all Youtube guidance, reading online and postings for response the barreled action was taken to a gunsmith, of sorts. He charged $30 dollars to try to insert go and no-gauges. Bolt already wouldn't close. Left frustrated and demoralized. Did research and found a gunsmith with a sound reputation . On my last really close study I see a broken screw that looks like it was drilled in foremost tap for scope mount. Praying it isn't in to the chamber causing the problem! Will know soon.

Excellent Arizona gunsmith discovered Oregon gunsmith hadn't removed all the broken scope mount tap. Oregon smith left estimated .008 of damaged tap in place and it was coming into contact with locking lug on bolt. Small piece removed and rifle functions as designed.

Lessons learned: how to disassemble a Remington bolt; don't assume a gunsmith is capable or informed simply because he has tools, a shop and a title; ultimately I'm responsible for safety and functioning of all my guns. Appreciate all the suggestions and good ideas. This is a good forum.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top