JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. As some of you know, I've been pinning away for a progressive machine for some time. I thought I had scored a Hornady Lock-n-Load last month only to find out a week later that they were on back order for months from Optics Planet. (Very deceptive sale from them BTW), so I cancelled the order.

Fast-forward to two days ago when I was perusing the Scheels website. I must have been in the right place at exactly the right time because I managed to score a new Dillon 750xl. Since I've already gotten the order confirmation and the shipping alert, I'm going to hope that all is well and it will be delivered soon.
1609518073412.png

In the mean time I've been doing a lot of research and watching a lot of videos about the machine, the setup, and the various upgrades. Trying to figure what I can and can't live without has been a little daunting, but the conclusion I've come to is that I don't really NEED anything extra. I can successfully reload with just what comes in the box. However, I'm sure there are add-on's that would make reloading a much more pleasant experience with this unit, and that's why I started this thread. What are your go-to add-on's for the Dillon presses?

Currently I have an Inline Fabrication Ultramount for my RCBS Rockchucker, but I wish now that I had gone with one of their shorter mounts as my work bench is fairly tall. I was thinking about mounting the 750 on an IF Junior Ultramount, and maybe sell the tall one.

I don't feel like I NEED an Ergo Roller Handle at this time, but it's definitely on the want list.

I'd like to have a case feeder, but I'm still waffling on the electric case feeder, or the Mini Case Feeder from Double Alpha. The Mini would be a lot less money up front, but would I grow tired of it quickly? https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mini-xl650-case-feeder
1609518141702.png
I've seen reviews from people running a Dillon that they run two tool heads for a specific caliber, one for case prep and one for case loading. I guess I can see the value if you're wanting too many operations from too few die stations, but is it really necessary?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice, and I look forward to seeing all the responses. (And may we all please have a better year in 2021? Pretty please?)

First on your list NEEDS to be a spare parts kit. You will thank me later...

As for the ergo handle, when you can would be great much easier on the arm/hand. Blisters are real during long reloading sessions.

The case feeder is not a necessity but... I just looked at the current prices and WOW. Did not know. I would stick with the double alpha for now till you could find one at a reasonable price or used.

I own 2 650's and a 1050. I have 3 extra tool heads for the 650 and find myself using them all the time. It is nice to decap or resize however many cases without running them through the entire setup. Well worth the investment even if it is only one.

I have spent 8 years with my 2 650's and 10's of thousands of rounds later I am still happy. Yea, I drink the blue Kool-aid. :)

Congrats on the purchase!

My advise.

Load it as is when you get it. go from there.

I've got the LNL and I have no need to add anything to it. I can go plenty fast and at the same time don't feel the need to go any faster

I only recently added the Inline mount with some tray holders so I can use the little uline trays and have everything within reach a bit better.

The one thing I am looking to get is something to load primer tubes. That's my slowest time consuming part.

FWIW, when I was shooting ALOT I went to a RL-650, with a Dillon case feeder. If a bullet feeder had been available I would likely have looked into it. The main thing that I wood recommend adding is enough primer tubes and / or a helper to keep you going. Amazing how fast you will go thru 100 primers.

I started my Dillon adventures in ~'82 with a RL300 than added a few 550's life was good. The 650 took some of the fun out of reloading for me however it let me feed my 9mm addiction.

I think the Ergo handle is well worth the money. The only other thing I have added to my (2) 550's is the Inline Fab light kit. Nice to have on the 550 since I don't use/have room for a powder checker. I can see the powder in each case before I place the bullet.

Ergo handle & a LED light would be all I'd look into. Unless you have a large family or the need for 1000's of rounds per week, I think the 750 will pump out all you need as-is. The handle and LED light are two fairly inexpensive upgrades that make working on the press a little nicer, not faster.

The regular handle is just like the shift lever in a car. My hand just rolls on the ball and I see the ergo handle as the biggest waste of $60 I can come up with. It's simply not needed. I also bolt mine directly to my bench without that expensive mount and it's made thousands of round just fine that way, though you will need a couple inches or so of space under your bench for the linkage to travel into, or you'll just ram it into the table like a wall. I also think the case hopper is unnecessary as it's not that big of a deal to manually load the feeding tube every twenty rounds (ish). Lastly, I would recommend getting the bullet feeder as that's the biggest annoyance for me. Placing every single bullet on every case, every pull of the handle gets old and is a fixable problem. My .02

Last Edited:
I'd say start using it as is then add to it as needed. Just as a reference in regards to the subjects above. My presses are all bolted to my benches, no extra mounts. I like the shifter knob handle, it just rolls in my palm. I do have one press that came with a roller handle and it works but I wouldn't pay extra for it. I do like the case feeder, it speeds up production by about 50%. I haven't messed with a bullet feeder yet but plan to in the future. I like to sit and load so I garage sale-ed three stools of various heights to work with my three work benches.

You need the case feeder for fast production of ammo and lots of primer tubes, Primers will be a limiter to high production because you have to constantly stop to refill the primer feed, then you have to refill primer tubes to refill the primer feed. That is tedious. I used to load 5 or 6 primer tubes the night before a session, usually while watching TV and then I was set for a session the next night. Since then, I bought the RL100 primer loader. Pricey but really worth it IMO. Dump primers in the top, make sure the tube is in place, turn it on and in a couple minutes the tube is filled. Dump that into the primer feed then put the tube back in the RL100, dump in another hundred primers and turn it on. Then, while you're reloading, the primer tube is filling and ready by the time you need another hundred primers.
Having 1/2 dozen primer tubes each for both large and small primers plus a good flip plate (Like the Dillon one) is way cheaper than the RL-100, but the RL-100 is way less tedious and way more efficient.

The regular handle is just like the shift lever in a car. My hand just rolls on the ball and I see the ergo handle as the biggest waste of $60 I can come up with. It's simply not needed. I also bolt mine directly to my bench without that expensive mount and it's made thousands of round just fine that way, though you will need a couple inches or so of space under your bench for the linkage to travel into, or you'll just ram it into the table like a wall. I also think the case hopper is unnecessary as it's not that big of a deal to manually load the feeding tube every twenty rounds (ish). Lastly, I would recommend getting the bullet feeder as that's the biggest annoyance for me. Placing every single bullet on every case, every pull of the handle gets old and is a faxable problem. My .02
I would disagree with you on the handle. I had the large ball handle on my RCBS, and the change over to the Inline Fabrication Ergo Handle was like night & day. WAY more comfortable pulling that lever over and over again with the Ergo Handle.

Get the case feeder. Once you have it, you will wonder why you didn't have it before. Buy once, cry once. The roller handle is a nice addition. Again, those that don't have one, can't appreciate it. It moves you a bit to the right when operating the press and makes it just a bit easier to do everything. More acro bins, those are handy. More primer tubes, those are handy too. Tool head stands are nice for when you get new tool heads for various set ups. The spare parts kit is really good advice. Not that you wear much stuff out, it's just that at some point, one of the little fiddly bits will shoot across the reloading room when your working on the press only to be found 5 years later when you are looking for something else that jumped off. It is really nice to look in your box and have a replacement to keep you going. Speaking of working on the press, the tool kit and mount for the back of the press is handy as all get out. Not necessary, per se, but downright handy to have those tools at your fingertips and organized.

You may, or may not, need a strong mount depending on your bench. I prefer to stand when loading, so the strong mount works for me, it helped the ergonomics a whole bunch. If you do get a strong mount, get the bullet tray. It's handy for bullets, and holding parts when your working on the press. There are aftermarket tool head lights if you need one of those. A bullet feeder if that rings your bell. If you look around you can get a motor for it. There's an aftermarket spent primer tube gadget to keep the old primers from scattering all over creation. Lots of Dillon and aftermarket accessories. Some good, some bad. It's your hobby, your money, buy what you want and enjoy the journey.

That's my slowest time consuming part.
I've learned to use 'empty tubes' as a pleasant way to relax & change pace a bit. I don't want to buy the automatic primer tube filler. And with enough primer tubes I don't run out now before I'm still ready to run the loading handle...run 'em in, run 'em out, Rawhide!!! etc.

I agree on the benefits of the case feeder far outweighing the damnable cost. Saves tons of time. And I'd rather feed each boolit by hand, as that works well for my notion of multitasking and seems to balance body movements. You'll come up with your own little tricks, you are an OPERATOR of the press....or will become one in some few hundred thousands of rounds. After 40 years with Big Blue, I'm still surprised just how fast and pleasant you can build 500 pistol rounds without stressing out.

I've learned to use 'empty tubes' as a pleasant way to relax & change pace a bit. I don't want to buy the automatic primer tube filler. And with enough primer tubes I don't run out now before I'm still ready to run the loading handle...run 'em in, run 'em out, Rawhide!!! etc.
I'll admit there is truth in this.

I would disagree with you on the handle. I had the large ball handle on my RCBS, and the change over to the Inline Fabrication Ergo Handle was like night & day. WAY more comfortable pulling that lever over and over again with the Ergo Handle.
Didn't know a smooth ball was so uncomfortable. Maybe it's all the manual labor o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top