JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Poll suggests rifle-toting OC advocates went too far at Chipotle

A poll started yesterday by the Guns Save Lives (GSL) blog, in the wake of Chipotle's announcement that it doesn't want people bringing guns into its restaurants, shows an overwhelmingly negative reaction to what another story called an "outrageous stunt" that apparently frightened other patrons at the Dallas-area eatery.

<broken link removed>

No surprise if you read my comments in the other thread on this - but yes they went too far, way too far without thinking of the most likely consequences.

Legal does not equal correct or appropriate all the time.

I read an article about this earlier today. The article described the events that led to Chipotle's asking firearms owners not to exercise OC in their restaurants.

Judging from the pics I can easily see why many of the restaurant's customers where intimidated by OC of Ar's, SKS, and AKs.
It would appear that many of these guys looked menacing on purpose rather than by accident.
Reminded me of wanna be militia guys out playing "Army".
I've been around firearms all my life, but I must admit that if I was in that restaurant, with that many firearms in the hands of strangers, I would be a little uneasy too.

There was also a discussion about how a husband and wife with their kids who are sitting on the fence about gun issues could be influenced by all of this and could very well become in favor of more legislation.
I can see how this could easily happen.

What also surprised me were a number of comments made about the article.
Most of them reflected an in your face attitude, and more than a few said something like "It's my right, and if you don't like it, too bad, Deal With It.

I never thought I would be in favor of limiting places to carry firearms, but in this case I'll make an exception.
However sidearm carry would be much more acceptable.

A defensive, concealed firearms class I took years ago stressed how important it is to properly conceal your weapon so as not to spook the horses.

This type of blatant, in your face, display without any concern for others will do nothing to help our cause, and more than likely will cause us to loose ground when we are in a struggle to gain every inch.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I realize OC is only legal for long guns in TX, but find another way to make your point. Or at least look a little more respectable when doing it.

Not much has been said about their actual actions in the store, or any intereactions with customers/employees, so that should really be considered before we judge them too harshly, but on the surface, it looks bad.

Let's try not to pull another starbucks here.

You're not helping.
th.jpeg

"It's my right, and if you don't like it, too bad, Deal With It.
Yep and the business has a quick and equal response, " And I am telling you not to bring guns in here again. If you don't like it , don't ever come in here again" Judging by the looks of these fellas I doubt they, or any of their brethren are even a blip on Chipotles' profit radar and their NEVER coming back is far better for the business. Therefore this would be a perfect opportunity where responsible and conscientious gun owners could make an even bigger statement by continuing to patronize these businesses and like I said before denouncing acts such as this as nothing more than attention getting stunts and not the position of the majority of pro gun owners. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

This is something that should be legal but is rude. It's like if I (Over 50 and over 300lbs) were to walk into a restaurant wearing only a thong. I wouldn't have a problem with a restaurant posting a sign saying: "We support your right to defend yourself. Please keep it concealed until you need to."

These guys aren't helping.

Doesn't really matter. What they did wasn't illegal, and it may have produced the opposite response they were looking for...

...but if you're carrying concealed, nobody knows or cares anyway.

To those who use the excuse that they are trying to "educate" the public about 2nd Amendment rights, I would say that if you truly want to teach something to someone and get them to agree with you, you don't scream in their face and scare the hell out of them. Carrying AR's and AK's into a mall or store is the equivalent of screaming into the faces of the customers. It will never be a "normal" or "mainstream" sight. There is no self-defense justification for carrying an AR into a mall or parading around with one in front of a school. The people who do this aren't trying to "educate" anyone, they are nothing but attention whores.

A know that many OCers are actually trying to MAKE it main-stream, and want a society where people walk around visibly heavily armed. It's just not going to happen. That's not the kind of society we have. Those days are long gone, and only existed in certain places anyway.

Such a horrible waste of energy, and so counterproductive.

Why not pass out well-written, informative pamphlets that people might actually read, instead of slinging scary bubblegum black rifles and going into restaurants?

Why not pass out well-written, informative pamphlets that people might actually read, instead of slinging scary bubblegum black rifles and going into restaurants?
Because this would require writing and organizational skills and would NOT feed the egos of a couple wastrels who were simply out looking for cheap thrills. We (including myself) are over thinking this entirely and KNOW what the reality of it all was. A couple overenthusiastic kids who displayed poor judgement and got very lucky nothing came of it. If one of them were MY son that did this I would..... well I don't know exactly WHAT I would do but there would be consequences - most likely educational based but something.

What they did would most certainly be illegal here in Washington State.
Texas has similar laws that define handling the guns such as the pair at Chipotle were doing in the picture, would meet the criteria of warranting alarm.
9.41.260 << 9.41.270 >> 9.41.280
RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top