JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
" "Petty Officer Mayo's actions on Monday evening were nothing less than heroic. He selflessly gave his own life to ensure the safety of the Sailors on board USS Mahan (DDG 72)," said Capt. Robert E. Clark, Jr., commanding officer, Naval Station Norfolk. "Petty Officer Mayo's family has endured a tremendous loss, as have the men and women of Naval Station Norfolk, in the loss of a shipmate and friend."
"

http://wtkr.com/2014/03/25/fatal-shooting-at-naval-station-norfolk-2-dead/

The shooting happened around 11:20pm Monday night at Pier 1 onboard the USS Mahan.

Mark Mayo was protecting a sailor who first confronted a civilian intruder. That man, a truck driver, tried to board the destroyer Mahan. He disarmed the watch stander and then turned the watch stander's gun at Mayo.

"He jumped into the way between the gunman and the petty officer of the watch. She fell to the ground. He covered her and he basically gave his life for hers," says Clark.

True enough - in the linked article we see:
"He immediately responded to render assistance and engaged in gunfire with Savage."

I take that to mean there was a gun used by the Petty Officer.

I don't quote entire articles, as I consider that to be excessive in the fair use of copyright.

Not to split the hair too much, but it only takes one firearm with two people for both to be 'engaged' in gunfire if one is shooting at the other. 'Exchanging' gunfire would indicate each had their own gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top