JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After attacks, these North Texas women found security in the weapon they once feared

Good video and an interesting story where an early victim of serial rapist gave up on a chance to use his own firearm against him when he made a tactical error because she didn't know how to use a firearm. She ended up feeling quite guilty about giving up that chance (which I think is misplaced, she shouldn't blame herself for what a nutjob does).

Anyway, there are times when a DGU against an active crime, almost certainly prevents future crimes. Obviously the numbers are unknowable, but it also obvious that if the first victim had killed the rapist with his own shotgun, there would not have been a victim no. 19. Both of those victims are now experienced shooters and as one said, it wouldn't happen that way again.

In November of 2006, Stanley Ledbetter broke into Smith's apartment, on his way to becoming a serial rapist.

"At one point he did set the gun down on the sofa next to me, on the arm of the sofa. And I thought for a minute I could grab it, and I could take control of the situation and then I realized that I didn't really know anything about guns. I'd never really handled one," said Smith. "I realize it's probably not the best thing to do, I'd probably end up shooting myself."

He got away that night, and got more violent. In April of 2007, He stabbed Ybarra six times.

"You don't ever get over it," said Ybarra. "You're always aware."

She was Ledbetter's 19th victim. DNA put him behind bars for life a year later.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top