JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any experience with this course or Defensive Firearms Institute (Eugene, OR) in general? I signed my buddy and I up for their upcoming Tactical Carbine I course next week. We both have a law enforcement background so I'm looking forward to getting a different perspective (I noticed most of DFI's instructors are former military). Hoping to pick up a few more tools for my toolkit.

Last Edited:
I have taken this class twice. Enjoyed it both times. Good training very competent and safe. A good student to instructor ratio. Not sure if they still do this. With carbine and handgun. But when I took it we used both.transitioning from one to the other working on accuracy and speed of target engagement no cell serivice out there at McGowan creek. And pack a lunch and water. Liquids. Stay hydrated. It's gonna be hot.make sure your gear is squared away and fully functional there was always one or two. Dudes who's rifles were malfunctioning. They were pretty frustrated, embarrassed

Last Edited:
I have taken this class twice. Enjoyed it both times. Good training very competent and safe. A good student to instructor ratio. Not sure if they still do this. With carbine and handgun. But when I took it we used both.transitioning from one to the other working on accuracy and speed of target engagement no cell serivice out there at McGowan creek. And pack a lunch and water. Liquids. Stay hydrated. It's gonna be hot.make sure your gear is squared away and fully functional there was always one or two. Dudes who's rifles were malfunctioning. They were pretty frustrated, embarrassed

Good to hear! I'm excited. I have over nine years in law enforcement and counting and I'm ready for a fresh perspective.

Running my personal SCAR16 SBR W/EoTech 512 + Magpul single point sling and HK VP9.

Hat to cover ears and back of neck (boonie hat)
Breathable LS tee shirt (sun coverage)
Trousers and padded knees
Extra batteries for your EoTech
Extra batteries for electronic ear muffs
4 rifle magazines, Plenty ammo
just in case, An AR lower Parts kit
just in case, A spare bolt carrier, a virgin bolt
Allen wrenches, rag, bore rod n brushes, hoppes gun lube
Couple extra fresh magazines, an extra 2-point sling
IFAK or IPOK and a sandwich zip-lock of 1 inch band-aid strips.
From supermarket (I like Safeway)
Ice chest with ice n 4-6 bottles water per person
Deli breakfast burritos, Sandwiches for lunch w gatorade (electrolytes)
Apply to exposed skin SPF 50 sun screen 2 hours prior

(Been RSOing for CCSO and PPB carbine quals)
I carry an IFAK and Camelback 3L for me
Two 24 bottle packs of water from Safeway for the deputies.
It's better to pester the dudes to hydrate than try to treat heat exhaustion. I am a know-it-all RSO, also an EMT, and a LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND,,,
except
ordered soft plates for my plate carrier. Will wear em when delivered. Noticing increasing volume of new shooters, some that should get some pre-gun handling training...

Taken the class (as well as others) from DFI and loved them all! As said above, good instructor/student ratio and professionals. As with any class, you get everything from SWAT to Call of Duty armchair commandos. Just take it in stride. They segregate the more experienced a little to give them different challenges. You will enjoy the class..... and likely come back for more :p

Taken the class (as well as others) from DFI and loved them all! As said above, good instructor/student ratio and professionals. As with any class, you get everything from SWAT to Call of Duty armchair commandos. Just take it in stride. They segregate the more experienced a little to give them different challenges. You will enjoy the class..... and likely come back for more :p

Awesome! Good to hear! I was hoping they would tailor it to students' skill levels a bit :)

I hope it's a good experience for you. Please let us know how it goes.
I need more training but I'm pretty far away from most of the training outfits. DFI is close enough to work for me. So I'd be very interested in your opinion.

I hope it's a good experience for you. Please let us know how it goes.
I need more training but I'm pretty far away from most of the training outfits. DFI is close enough to work for me. So I'd be very interested in your opinion.

Just wanted to follow up to this this thread by saying the class was great! Well worth the $200. Even for a "basic" level class, I still took a lot away from it that I see myself using at work. Recommended for all skill levels and backgrounds.

I think there were 8 students and 2 instructors, so the ratio was very good. There was also very minimal down-time, you were always learning or shooting which I felt increased the value.

My SBR SCAR16 ran great, only one hiccup due to me overloading a mag by one and it not seating correctly (operator error). I'd recommend anyone who takes this class use a lightweight rifle as it is fatiguing. I also feel one needs to be at a decent level of physical fitness and bring plenty of water!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top