JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bolus nailed it. I've had the same primary physician for 16 years, and he's been willing to explain why a new question gets asked. The only time I was asked an inappropriate question was by a different doctor at a different health organization, to which I never returned.

I was asked if I owned any guns. I responded it was none of his business, and why would he be asking such a question when I came in for a physical. He responded that the organization liked to do a risk assessment for all their clients. I told him that if they were truly interested in determining the relative risk of my life/life-style they would be asking a different set of questions: how many miles do you drive in a typical week, do you always wear a seat belt, family medical history, etc. I volunteered that I owned a motorcycle, two chainsaws, a tablesaw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, etc. He looked taken aback so I added that based on injuries incurred, my utility knife was the most dangerous object in the home.

When I left I told them I would be switching to another doctor in a different medical organization: one that took an interest in my actual health rather than pursuing a political agenda.

Good for you. Many of the higher ups in my organization will get upset at me when I ask "why are we asking these questions?"

I asked at a meeting recently if there is any data or studies that show if asking for depression at every visit was efficacious (improve outcomes, reduce illness or suffering) and the answer was no, but it reduced utilization (less visits).

So being a traditional doc trained in evidence based medicine I now have a MD supervisor telling me that there is no evidence for what we are doing other than it benefits the insurance company.

Oddly, I was at my doctor's today and the bulletin board in the exam room, while covered with health, pain charts, and "Thrive" stuff, not a single "Is someone hurting you at home?" poster/questions! The thing used to be covered with them!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top