JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wasn't racist until you projected it to be.
They're my favorite bird and important in the aves class. In short, they matter.
On an aside, I've only ever seen one crow that was not pure black.
Had a crow feather that I placed on my window sill in the sun. Over years, it never faded.

Here's a story for you. A couple of years ago we had a pair of grayish crows. Very distinctive. We can never tell which is male/female. They say the female is bigger. Anyway, these two gray crows were mixed in with the others that show up in late winter/early spring. For a short time that year we'd have up to a dozen or more in the front yard at times. When they get to nest building they all separate into their own, slightly overlapping, areas. This was before that separation. Those two "Grays" would sit on the edge of the garbage can lid water dish I keep out on the front lawn and share the bread that one of them soaked. Sometime later, one day, I saw one of the grays on the ground with a seriously broken wing. It was able to hop around just fine, but there was NO flying. It was really sad. These crows were used to us, but not enough that I could get anywhere near it to capture it. I presume the injured one died, and the other gray went somewhere else, never to be seen by us again. We were really hoping they would nest and produce young of their gray color.

The BLM types say that anything referring to BLM that does not say "Black Lives Matter" is racist. You know that, right? But in this case, it was a joke.
Yah, sorry. I should remember this is NWFA. Spent part of last evening debating "PC" jargon, pronouns and gender identity. I laughed at non gender pronouns, didnt know I could not use the word "dike", howled in protest when I was told that it was sexist for female, vagina health focused support groups to exclude trans and sex-changed women, and cried with laughter when I was lectured about how black people cannot be racist.
It didn't go well.
NOTE: crows attack, kill and eat baby bunnies!
be sure to hug them! Might be the last affection they experience before their last meal! :s0140:

Yah, sorry. I should remember this is NWFA. Spent part of last evening debating "PC" jargon, pronouns and gender identity. I laughed at non gender pronouns, didnt know I could not use the word "dike", howled in protest when I was told that it was sexist for female, vagina health focused support groups to exclude trans and sex-changed women, and cried with laughter when I was lectured about how black people cannot be racist.
It didn't go well.

I regularly do battle on FB (which I mostly stay away from now, but I have a friend that still enjoys jacking people up... I told him to keep in mind that FB is making bank on his habit while censoring and banning conservatives.) Also battle on FoxNews.com and Newsmax.com (both of which now have a great amount of content and people I don't like.) And I am on another forum that has diff rules for behavior than this one... it becomes hard to keep it all strait. Esp when I get mad and then come over here with a bad attitude.

Lecturing seems to be a big trend today. :(:mad::(

The thing about racism being redefined by egghead activist college profs so that blacks cannot be deemed racist is a big bugaboo with me. With the 1619 Project in schools, the 1776 Project banished from schools, and critical race theory being brought into schools, fed offices, and corp workplaces, I think we all need to do battle. POC should be against that too if they want to live in the USA instead of us becoming a third world country, an oligarchy, or a Communist state. (It is Mao's Cultural Revolution, writ here/now/today in the US.)

Last Edited:
When I moved to eastern WA, I saw my first magpie. I was like, "W a cool looking bird! What is it, Dad?" He looked at me like I was stupid. He says, "magpie".

After all these years, it's still exciting to see a magpie. That's' only when we're way East somewhere. Common birds where I grew up in Utah, and at that time I don't remember people disparaging them?

After all these years, it's still exciting to see a magpie. That's' only when we're way East somewhere. Common birds where I grew up in Utah, and at that time I don't remember people disparaging them?

My first experience with the critters was in Alaska, where my buddy poked a .223 or a shotgun out the back door to nail several. I asked him why, as if he needs a reason but I do, and he said they sit on the rim of his cattle water feeders, poop over the side and foul the water. Not good for the cows.

As I said, they foul my deck, my patio, my walkways, and my cars. Their crap is hard to remove, and will eat the paint off a car. Lil MFrs!!! :mad::mad::mad:

My first experience with the critters was in Alaska, where my buddy poked a .223 or a shotgun out the back door to nail several. I asked him why, as if he needs a reason but I do, and he said they sit on the rim of his cattle water feeders, poop over the side and foul the water. Not good for the cows.

As I said, they foul my deck, my patio, my walkways, and my cars. Their crap is hard to remove, and will eat the paint off a car. Lil MFrs!!! :mad::mad::mad:

If I were in that situation I wouldn't hesitate to attempt to OFF the offending birds. I have communicated to "My" crows that the phone lines above my car are not an appropriate perch. Believe it or not, for the most part, my car stays clean as the crows tend to perch to the sides or more out over the road. Same with perching on the top of the windshield of my covered boat.

Filthy critters

We had a jar for squirrels to get peanuts, but the magpies constantly raided it. Once one got stuck and couldn't figure how to get back out. And they also raided the bait in the feral cat traps.

This is what they think of us

Indeed Crows are killers.

When I'm mowing the fields they line up on the fence posts to eat anything that doesn't make it out from under the brush hog, sometimes they'll follow the tractor around, hopping along the ground. One morning I corralled a bunch of voles into the last couple passes, they started running out across the freshly mowed areas. One ran toward the fence where about 15 crows were lines up waiting for me to finish up. One of the crows lit off the fence and went straight for the vole, when it landed it started pecking it until it quit moving, the whole time the rest of the crows were just watching. It took off w/the vole in it's beak and immediately every bird lit off the fence and went after it, it tried to get away but eventually dropped the vole as they converged on it, another crow got it and made it's escape.

All those lazy crows watched the show until it looked like easy picking, then they intimidated the only one w/the gumption to do a little work, some friends huh?

Indeed Crows are killers.

When I'm mowing the fields they line up on the fence posts to eat anything that doesn't make it out from under the brush hog, sometimes they'll follow the tractor around, hopping along the ground. One morning I corralled a bunch of voles into the last couple passes, they started running out across the freshly mowed areas. One ran toward the fence where about 15 crows were lines up waiting for me to finish up. One of the crows lit off the fence and went straight for the vole, when it landed it started pecking it until it quit moving, the whole time the rest of the crows were just watching. It took off w/the vole in it's beak and immediately every bird lit off the fence and went after it, it tried to get away but eventually dropped the vole as they converged on it, another crow got it and made it's escape.

All those lazy crows watched the show until it looked like easy picking, then they intimidated the only one w/the gumption to do a little work, some friends huh?

I've mowed lawns, up to 45/10 days, for years. The crows know a lawn man stirs up moths, worms, bugs and such.

Good question. I never have the sound on, so as not to disturb the wifey, so IDK.

We have a pair of scrub jays around. I don't know how to tell sexes though. We named the one "Jesse" Jesse Jay. "She" was coming in the garage for peanuts. Wifey got her to come to hand for peanuts. Her partner "Jerry" won't do that. He WILL, come just into the opening of the garage and take one IF we're standing back a ways. Jesse knows to go to two of the windows and the glass slider to get our attention. Get a peanut and stick your hand out the door she comes and gets it. When I'm at the kitchen sink, she has to stand on a railing and stretch her neck up to get my attention. That's a funny sight.

Many years ago I helped a friend build a pole barn on his 120 acre farm. One day while we were starting to install the roof panels a crow started to fly overhead from the neighboring farm.
My friend leaps off the ladder and runs into his house and comes out with a 12 gauge goose gun and starts to blast away at the crow.
I asked him what the hell all that was about and he told me he hated crows and shot at them every chance he got.
Fast forward ten years later and I ended up care taking the farm for him while he was in Medford building log homes.
One day a crow started flying overhead and when it realized just where it was, it hurriedly changed course 90 degrees and then when safely out of range it turned
back and resumed it's original path across the farm.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top