JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Members on this forum have influenced my thinking about target practice with a .22. I'm thinking I will buy either a Marlin 60 or 795. The 60 comes in laminate for $179 or wood for $219, and is a tube fed semi-automatic (14 rds); the 795 is synthetic only for $149, with a 10-clip. Both have decent reviews, with the 60 having the best, although the 795 has decent reviews. Apparently, clips have a reputation for jams, and the 795 has a few, but the reviews are not overly concerning. The 795 also has a modest after market 25 clip. Clearly, the wood will last longer, but I am on the sunset side of life anyway. Your thoughts?

I have several of the 60's and only 1 795. Obviously I prefer the Model 60. My big gig on the 795 is the magazine and the magazine release lever/button. The magazine appears to be cast from pot metal and is stupidly heavy for a 10 round .22lr magazine. Also, if there is a way to disassemble it for cleaning, I haven't found it. The magazine release isn't easy to operate (for my old hands at least).

If interested in mag fed .22lr, you might consider the wildly popular Ruger 10/22.

However, I'm not sure where the laws are going to go on mag fed rifles. It might be that a tube fed is a safer bet when it comes to the encroaching anti-gun laws of the future. IDK.

I wonder if Marlin quality of their .22s has followed the disastrous trend of their lever guns? I bought my son a Marlin bolt-action .22 years ago that works well.

But I needed/wanted a semi-auto .22 last Fall and didn't even consider Marlin. The 10/22 is the #1 choice in .22 semi-auto rifles for a reason. Bought a Copper Mica edition online for $219 and love it...

G1UmwPs0RT2g7M5iyGI1Hw.jpg

I wonder if Marlin quality of their .22s has followed the disastrous trend of their lever guns? I bought my son a Marlin bolt-action .22 years ago that works well.

But I needed/wanted a semi-auto .22 last Fall and didn't even consider Marlin. The 10/22 is the #1 choice in .22 semi-auto rifles for a reason. Bought a Copper Mica edition online for $219 and love it...

View attachment 550888

Is that a bull barrel? Also it (the barrel) looks longer than the standard version, and has no band around the forearm... looks nice!

Thanks for weighing in fellas! I ended up with a Ruger 22-10 semi-automatic. Those Marlins reminded me of something I would have bought at a Western Flyer store 50 years ago! Someone sent me a PM and suggested the Ruger; a nice little weapon!!!