JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Rifle-wielding father tries to storm Alabama daycare; worker hailed as hero for blocking entry

Tragedy was averted Wednesday afternoon when a gunman tried to enter a Calhoun County daycare to get his toddler daughter, authorities said this afternoon.

The daycare worker told lawmen the man went to the daycare demanding his 1-year-old daughter.

The worker, whose name hasn't been released, refused to let him inside. While she blocked his way, she also instructed other workers to usher all of the children into a room to keep them safe should he make entry.

Turner then threatened to drive his truck through into the daycare, Wade said. He went to his truck and retrieved a rifle. "He threatened to kill everyone in the building,'' he said.

That woman is a true brave hero. She needs to be applauded. If that lady had been ME, (thank goodness I was not placed in that situation) and if the guy had pulled a rifle out of his truck and APPROACHED the daycare center what would I have done?

Oh Boy. Right now sitting safely by the computer enjoying Sissel's golden voice and keyboarding this I am thinking I would have drawn my legally concealed Browning HIgh Power and shot the guy until he stopped his lethal aggressive actions. Right there.

My life would change forever. I have only a handgun. He has a rifle. Never bring a handgun to a rifle fight. The daycare full of kids. My life suddenly became expendable. I would have shot then let the legal chips fall where they may. Just me. Respectfully. :(

That woman is a true brave hero. She needs to be applauded. If that lady had been ME, (thank goodness I was not placed in that situation) and if the guy had pulled a rifle out of his truck and APPROACHED the daycare center what would I have done?

Oh Boy. Right now sitting safely by the computer enjoying Sissel's golden voice and keyboarding this I am thinking I would have drawn my legally concealed Browning HIgh Power and shot the guy until he stopped his lethal aggressive actions. Right there.

My life would change forever. I have only a handgun. He has a rifle. Never bring a handgun to a rifle fight. The daycare full of kids. My life suddenly became expendable. I would have shot then let the legal chips fall where they may. Just me. Respectfully. :(

I don't think you are the only one. I would have persieved him as a threat to myself let alone the children. At that point you nutrilize the threat!

Weird that the daycare worker refused to give his child to him.

I'm assuming he did not have custody.

If he did have custody, than she was kidnapping his child. Who amongst us would not go completely ballistic if someone decided not to give you your children? Anyone?

Mayhaps he got a fright about that school shooting, and wanting to have his child. Reasonable. Won't turn over the child? Problem.

Dunno.

Respectfully ...

A father has the right for the protection of his child. I used to work unpaid as a required but not personally desired position at a large day care center. The boss lady was my very close lady friend. I was a RN at that time. Good thing. The necessary deep back ground check to volunteer at that large day care center was intensive.

Amazing how complicated it was for the kids to be there. We had many court restraining orders on file and memorized. Who could pick up the kids and exactly how and when. Time lists. Many requirements for the parents or legal guardians. The day cares policy was that each adult who picked up each kid had to be on a hard list.

Also a hard memorized list of names and photos of those individuals legally prohibited to be within eyeball distance of the facility.

No substitutions. No changing in the time schedule no matter what unless specific legal procedures were followed. Only major situations or natural or man caused events could allow anybody to pick up their or other kids. We had direct hot lines to law enforcement and emergency responders. Police. Fire. ALS EMS.

The policy book was kinda thick. Required reading and understanding. You think hospital policy is long. How about day care centers?

Did that Dad have a right to pick up HIS kid at that time? Yes he did. The problem is how he went about it. He would or should have known the specific iron clad procedures he would have to know and execute in order for ME to hand over his infant son. Day care is an extremely difficult task. I was a baby sitter. Wow.

Or ... there was a Court Order prohibiting him from even being there? We do not know this yet. It might be made known later.

Forward to the current discussed situation at that day care center. That lady was golden. She was brave. She did her job. The father should have known better to try what he tried in the fashion in which he acted. Threats of violence? Visual threats of lethal force? Wow! That lady who said "NO" needs the Medal Of Freedom!!

Weird that the daycare worker refused to give his child to him.

I'm assuming he did not have custody.

If he did have custody, than she was kidnapping his child. Who amongst us would not go completely ballistic if someone decided not to give you your children? Anyone?

Mayhaps he got a fright about that school shooting, and wanting to have his child. Reasonable. Won't turn over the child? Problem.

Dunno.

I have to assume this was some kind of a domestic case. Even if it was not and it was me? I can assure you what I would NOT do. Grab a rifle from my car and then go back to the door to make threats.

Thank God no one was hurt. Hard to know what's going on with custody cases. As much as I hate to call police, you've already released your parental powers to the state if court orders are involved. Play the game. Now he probably won't see his kid for years if ever.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top