JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Iver Johnson shotgun that I'm trying to date hopefully 1895 or before because anything pryor to Dec 31st 1895 isn't considered a firearm. It's 17 3/4 inch and a felony in Kansas. Federal law can't be introduced so I'm hoping it's dated prior to 1895 and how you came to that date. Is it hammer less, I don't see a safety. I've included screenshots for viewing. It's the only information I can provide at this point since I can't upload a PDF file.
Thank you for your help

1000003920.jpg 1000003918.jpg 1000003917.jpg 1000003916.jpg 1000003914.jpg

Is there any town, address or patent numbers on barrel or receiver?
The firm moved to Fitchburg in 1891/2, becoming the Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works in 1894

More pictures would help. It doesn't sound like more will be forthcoming. If we could know if it says, "Champion" on the top of the barrel, then the following might apply:

The location of the barrel release on these dates these, some.

There isn't a lot of information out there on the internet re. IJ products, they aren't as famous or desirable as some collectible brands.

IJ made single bbl. shotguns for decades. I suppose looking at the odds, chances are there were more made after 1895 than before.

On Gunbroker, there are some offerings of "parts kits." That is, disassembled guns, minus receiver, that came about as seized guns from police departments. It's not unusual to find these kits for sale that consist of shotguns with cut barrels. Often enough, they are cut shorter than 18 inches. Which tells me that a lot of people, then and now, simply don't know the law on barrel minimum length. There isn't a lot of legal use for a cut shotgun barrel, except for the odd pet project where the barrel stub is going to be mated to a new length of barrel (often a rifle caliber). With the resulting new barrel being legal length.

I am not a Iver Johnson expert but serial numbers were marked on
trigger guard, underside of barrel and under forearm. That number
could be all letters, numbers or a combination.
FITCHBURGX ----------------- HGXC = 5904
I believe this model predates the Champion.
1891 to 1909 The arched scroll on the side plate may help to narrow
the date of manufacture also the lever screw take down I believe was
not used much after 1900. What year serial numbers were added may
be a clue.
I found patent dates for his shotguns once, but can't find them now.
I also don't understand how this is not a SBS under federal law.

The Iver Johnson Champion was first introduced in 1890 in 12 gauge and then in 1901 in 16 gauge. The 20 gauge version was first made in 1909 in the Champion Model 36. It was produced from 1919 until 1922. There are no sources for exact dates of manufacture on Iver Johnson guns.

I was wrong as to what model this was. I thought the Champion was introduced
in 1909. Takedown lever may still help answer your question.

More pictures would help. It doesn't sound like more will be forthcoming. If we could know if it says, "Champion" on the top of the barrel, then the following might apply:

The location of the barrel release on these dates these, some.

There isn't a lot of information out there on the internet re. IJ products, they aren't as famous or desirable as some collectible brands.

IJ made single bbl. shotguns for decades. I suppose looking at the odds, chances are there were more made after 1895 than before.
I've added photos and the only visible markings are in the photos and in text. It does not have. Champion anywhere on the it. Hopefully that predates Champion

The Iver Johnson Champion was first introduced in 1890 in 12 gauge and then in 1901 in 16 gauge. The 20 gauge version was first made in 1909 in the Champion Model 36. It was produced from 1919 until 1922. There are no sources for exact dates of manufacture on Iver Johnson guns.

I was wrong as to what model this was. I thought the Champion was introduced
in 1909. Takedown lever may still help answer your question.
I believe it's hammerless and without a safety which helps date it. I thought champion came out after 1995. I'm here for experts, I'm definitely not.

I am not a Iver Johnson expert but serial numbers were marked on
trigger guard, underside of barrel and under forearm. That number
could be all letters, numbers or a combination.
FITCHBURGX ----------------- HGXC = 5904
I believe this model predates the Champion.
1891 to 1909 The arched scroll on the side plate may help to narrow
the date of manufacture also the lever screw take down I believe was
not used much after 1900. What year serial numbers were added may
be a clue.
I found patent dates for his shotguns once, but can't find them now.
I also don't understand how this is not a SBS under federal law.
I read on another site that if it's hammerless and no safety it was mfg before 1895 and Safety's were installed after 1895? I should research that again. The hammer is visible but I don't believe there's a safety. Are you familiar with the above "rule of thumb"?

Often the "safety" on hammer guns is a deeper notch on the hammer that the trigger falls into when the hammer is pulled about halfway back. It's a deep notch that prevents the trigger from being pulled. This is usually called "half cock."

Illustration, from a different firearm:

1714616404444.png

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads