JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My dad has a few acres he regularly mows with a Cub Cadet riding mower. It's about ten years old. He went out the other day and checked the oil. Fine. Checked the fuel and filled it. Started it up and he said about a half hour into mowing, it started smoking really bad, then making a clunking noise, then a loud bang.

Popped the hood and oil was everywhere, dipstick was shot out and a hole in the side of the motor.

He drove to town and bought a brand new Husqvarna riding mower and said I can have the old one. I'm thinking that I could buy a replacement motor and install it for quite a bit less than buying a decent used mower. But, never wrenched on riding mowers before and not sure how much of a pain in the rear they are to work on. I have a double lot in town and use a cheap Craftsman push mower. A rider would be nice, but not essential.

Just wondering if it would be worth the expense and hassle to save the Cub Cadet, or if it is going to have other issues propping up. No idea of the model or engine, so can't look up a replacement cost, but I know I've seen new Briggs and Stratton motors for fairly reasonable prices. I'm sure it's at least 12hp, which are probably a bit more spendy.

It is my understanding that the Cub Cadets from Big Box stores were not built as well as those from regular sales channels, because the BB stores demanded lower cost/price points.

Make sure the mower is sound before investing in a new motor. Clean it up well, remove the deck and inspect it for rust, cracks, and damage. Check the blade spindles for wear and loose bearings. Check the transmission oil for wear particles and evidence of overheating. If the rest of the mower is in good shape, then think about an engine.

What model of engine is it? There are lots of variations. An upgrade or conversion may make sense. Research this on the internet, because in all likelihood, someone else has done this already.

I kept my wife's 1979 John Deere 314 running for 15 years before I found a 1987 JD 318 for $50.00 that I rebuilt for an upgrade. It can be done, but it has to be something you enjoy. ;)

I kept my wife's 1979 John Deere 314 running for 15 years before I found a 1987 JD 318 for $50.00 that I rebuilt for an upgrade. It can be done, but it has to be something you enjoy. ;)

Those things were the best lawnmowers ever built in the USA. Absolutely one of the toughest and well built machines there was, usually powered by US built Onan engines, assembled not pressed decks, good spindles, plenty of power. I would look for those units being sold, buy them and bring them back to our shop for our mechanic and guys to work on in the winter in the shop, then resell them. Never made less than $ 500 on any one unit. The good old days.

I actually went out to look at it today and the motor is quite a bit bigger than I expected. It is a Koehler 20hp Magnum. The rest of the mower was pretty beat as well.

I declined to bring it home with me.

Got home and looked online and a replacement Koehler motor is $1600! His new Husqvarna mower was $1700.

I went to Harbor Freight and the closest comparable motor was $800. I think I'll pass on spending $800 on a worn out Cub Cadet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top