JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Due to going a little crazy when Measure 114 was announced, I made several purchases and ended up with three CZ P-01 Omega 9mm pistols. Two are the basic black version and one is the Urban Grey version with night sights and threaded barrel. Three of these pistols seems like one too many to me. I prefer the black ones but I want to keep the threaded barrel from the Urban Grey pistol. I just now swapped the non-threaded barrel from the black CZ P-01 Omega with the threaded barrel from the CZ P-01 Omega Urban Grey, and everything seems to fit. The slides of both pistols are cycling well, feeding and ejecting bullets well.

If this works I will have an extra pistol to sell, to help rebuild my poor depleted savings account. But will they shoot safely? I haven't tried shooting either of them yet. And will anyone buy the Urban Grey now that I've installed a non-threaded barrel? Opinions, comments, concerns? Am I about to shoot my eye out?

Due to going a little crazy when Measure 114 was announced, I made several purchases and ended up with three CZ P-01 Omega 9mm pistols. Two are the basic black version and one is the Urban Grey version with night sights and threaded barrel. Three of these pistols seems like one too many to me. I prefer the black ones but I want to keep the threaded barrel from the Urban Grey pistol. I just now swapped the non-threaded barrel from the black CZ P-01 Omega with the threaded barrel from the CZ P-01 Omega Urban Grey, and everything seems to fit. The slides of both pistols are cycling well, feeding and ejecting bullets well.

If this works I will have an extra pistol to sell, to help rebuild my poor depleted savings account. But will they shoot safely? I haven't tried shooting either of them yet. And will anyone buy the Urban Grey now that I've installed a non-threaded barrel? Opinions, comments, concerns? Am I about to shoot my ey
High night sites are a liability without the threaded barrel because they really limit what holsters you can use. A Tac version costs more than a standard version. The threaded barrel on a tac version is like the testicles on a bull. If you buy a bull to service your cows, the testicles are the point. Everything else is designed to make the testicles work. My guess is even if the swap is safe, it would make more economic sense to buy a threaded barrel from CZ rather than do the swap and turn the Urban grey into a MUCH less desirable and non standard gun that cannot even be listed as an urban grey Tac anymore.

As for safety, call the CZ people and ask them. But if they say its safe don't expect a potential buyer to take your word for it. From the point of view of the buyer, its a nonstandard gun you made by swapping parts of two models. There may be a lot different. The gun with the threaded barrel has to be able to cycle the slide with or without the heavy weight of a suppressor. The non tac gun may be designed to cycle the slide alone.

I got nothing...

Joe

20230102_155007.jpg

High night sites are a liability without the threaded barrel because they really limit what holsters you can use. A Tac version costs more than a standard version. The threaded barrel on a tac version is like the testicles on a bull. If you buy a bull to service your cows, the testicles are the point. Everything else is designed to make the testicles work. My guess is even if the swap is safe, it would make more economic sense to buy a threaded barrel from CZ rather than do the swap and turn the Urban grey into a MUCH less desirable and non standard gun that cannot even be listed as an urban grey Tac anymore.

As for safety, call the CZ people and ask them. But if they say its safe don't expect a potential buyer to take your word for it. From the point of view of the buyer, its a nonstandard gun you made by swapping parts of two models. There may be a lot different. The gun with the threaded barrel has to be able to cycle the slide with or without the heavy weight of a suppressor. The non tac gun may be designed to cycle the slide alone.
While all true - it's simple enough to verify…

@Starslinger - are the slides functionally identical? If you remove the barrel from each, do they then weigh the same? Are the recoil springs the same length and weight (check part numbers if available)?

If the recoil assembly is the same and the slides are the same…then yea, a barrel swap changes, well, nothing.

That being said: don't expect a prospective buyer to take your word for everything. You are modifying a gun from original and the prospective buyer may expect a discount to be motivated to buy. Feels like a buyer's market right now.

I'm curious though - instead of swapping parts around…why not just sell the extra gun as original and buy an extra barrel to swap in?

While all true - it's simple enough to verify…

@Starslinger - are the slides functionally identical? If you remove the barrel from each, do they then weigh the same? Are the recoil springs the same length and weight (check part numbers if available)?

If the recoil assembly is the same and the slides are the same…then yea, a barrel swap changes, well, nothing.

That being said: don't expect a prospective buyer to take your word for everything. You are modifying a gun from original and the prospective buyer may expect a discount to be motivated to buy. Feels like a buyer's market right now.

I'm curious though - instead of swapping parts around…why not just sell the extra gun as original and buy an extra barrel to swap in?
I paid $500 or maybe $600 for the CZ P-01 Urban Grey with threaded barrel. The threaded barrel by itself is $300. And suppressor height sights would have cost additional money. And I needed a couple more magazines. That's why I bought the whole gun, not just the threaded barrel. Heck, I'll just keep the darn thing in the safe waiting for the day I decide to buy a suppressor.

If the goal is to have a Black pistol with the threaded barrel and suppressor height sights why not get the gray gun cericoated Black. Then everything stays stock and you can sell one of the other Black ones?

If the goal is to have a Black pistol with the threaded barrel and suppressor height sights why not get the gray gun cericoated Black. Then everything stays stock and you can sell one of the other Black ones?
I appreciate the response but I think spending money on cerakoting or buying a threaded barrel or anything else and then selling one of the guns is going to leave me with a net gain of only about $100. So I may as well just keep the pistol. I'll just keep it for now. Thanks all.

Questions, is it just the color you are trying to get? Why else swap just the threaded barrel if you don't want to use a suppressor? Ir you do want to use a suppressor, you'll need the higher sights of the pistol you already have?