JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The CZ 457 LUX arrived a couple of days ago, and the optic one day later. I mounted the scope using a set of 11 mm base rings, but they were a bit too high and I didn't like how they fit on the little rail:

xoxbkoTl.jpg

So, instead, I used a picatinny adapter that slides onto the 11 mm wide small rail. The picatinny rail has four threaded holes that match the same position as the four blind holes in the 11 mm wide base. The four screws provided screw through the picatinny base and bottom out in the blind holes drilled at the factory. This action pushed the picatinny rail upward to lock up with the underside of the 11 mm dovetail. A very secure and solid method for the added rail:

T0qZl1Wl.jpg

The rear sight assembly was removed as I wanted the scope to be mounted as low as I could get it to the bore line, so, as the rear sight is now off, there's not much need for the front sight. One thing I did verify for sure involves the bore diameter at the muzzle. It is indeed tighter than most all of any other .22 rimfire rifle that I have used my Bushnell Collimator .22 caliber spud. As is, that spud will not enter the muzzle end of the barrel, so my laser bore sighter was used to align the scope crosshairs to the bore center-line. As I am now quite curious, my plan will be to slug the bore and then see just what the bore diameter is at the muzzle.
The 27 inch barrel is free floated from the front end of the stock to where the barrel enters the receiver. I now wonder if this long, sorta thin barrel, with a tight bore at the muzzle, will create some harmonics to deal with as the swaged down bullet leaves the muzzle. The barrel may require a dampening pad along the forearm channel to quell any vibration if found to be involved.
The bottom of the bolt itself was found to have some sharp edges along the raceway, so they were judiciously handled using a very fine Arkansas stone. Now, the bolt operates much more smoothly going forward and back.
Next up is some ammunition testing, only to see how this rifle will perform as is, without any modification, including pillar bedding:

zvStbjcl.jpg

Thanks for the nice write-up and thorough process description. Like your pic rail mod and it definitely lowers scope level. Looking forward to your ammo test results.

I have a CZ 457 fitted with a Boyd's At-One stock. I am using a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12X40 on BLK Technologies 2-piece canted rings (from Brownells). I have not tried match ammo as the Aguila High Velocity (orange box) at $0.04-$0.05 per round gives good results: dime-sized groups. Love shooting this bolt gun.

Screenshot_2020-06-25 1 Offset Dovetail Rings, Black BKL TECHNOLOGIES 200 SEROES 1 SCOPE RINGS...png
20191213_135429_resized v1.jpg

aguila-22-lr-40-grain-high-velocity-cprn.jpg

Thanks for the nice write-up and thorough process description. Like your pic rail mod and it definitely lowers scope level. Looking forward to your ammo test results.

I have a CZ 457 fitted with a Boyd's At-One stock. I am using a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12X40 on BLK Technologies 2-piece canted rings (from Brownells). I have not tried match ammo as the Aguila High Velocity (orange box) at $0.04-$0.05 per round gives good results: dime-sized groups. Love shooting this bolt gun.

View attachment 714436
View attachment 714435

View attachment 714437
That is a very nice lookin' stock!

Both of those setups look pretty sweet!

I've heard nothing but good things about the CZ 22s, so a few months ago I went with a CZ 457, but in a different direction than your choice: the CZ 457 Pro Varmint. I topped it with an Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 x 50 in Vortex rings on a 419 15 MOA rail. Probably eventually going with the pivoting MagPul bipod to make side to side adjustments easier on the fly. It comes in a Boyd's stock already and sports a 16.5" bull barrel. From all the reviews I've seen, this should be a fun little setup for making small holes at a reasonable distance. I still haven't had a chance to get it out and put it through it's paces, but I'm hoping soon. Barrel rigidity shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think.

CZ_457_Pro_Varmint_Argos_BTR_G2_2020-03-21.jpg

Oh, and it's already threaded for suppressed fun. I think the shorter barrel will make it fairly manageable even with the suppressor mounts (Dead Air Mask HD). Although short, this is a fairly stout, hefty package for the size.