JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone who uses those 5 gal propane cylinders and likes the exchange deal may want to look at this site. I keep a few around here for the Genset and one in use for the BBQ. In winter I have one of those heaters that use these for use in the shop. Other day on a local radio show I head them advertise this place. Said first exchange was $10 if you use the code Todd. I thought surely he must mean the delivery charge. So I looked at the sight and they charge $20 total for one exchange tank? That is what I paid last time to take the tank to some store and do it. So ordered one to try and they did come take the empty and leave me a full for $10 + the Governors cut. They must have limited range as I had to enter my addy to see if I was in their area. I don't know how they are making a buck off this but I am sold. Don't even have to be home. Just tell them where the empty tank will be, they drop a full one there for you. So if anyone uses these may be worth checking them out. The site had something on there that if you have friends who want one too you can get another tank for $10 for getting others to try them. I am going to see if my FIL still uses these. If he does I will get him one for $10 too. :D

Anyone who uses those 5 gal propane cylinders and likes the exchange deal may want to look at this site. I keep a few around here for the Genset and one in use for the BBQ. In winter I have one of those heaters that use these for use in the shop. Other day on a local radio show I head them advertise this place. Said first exchange was $10 if you use the code Todd. I thought surely he must mean the delivery charge. So I looked at the sight and they charge $20 total for one exchange tank? That is what I paid last time to take the tank to some store and do it. So ordered one to try and they did come take the empty and leave me a full for $10 + the Governors cut. They must have limited range as I had to enter my addy to see if I was in their area. I don't know how they are making a buck off this but I am sold. Don't even have to be home. Just tell them where the empty tank will be, they drop a full one there for you. So if anyone uses these may be worth checking them out. The site had something on there that if you have friends who want one too you can get another tank for $10 for getting others to try them. I am going to see if my FIL still uses these. If he does I will get him one for $10 too. :D
You only get 3.5 gallons with those "cage" exchange places, Instead of 4.5 gallons for a full tank. At $2.79 a gallon just down the road from me that $10.00 isn't really much more and maybe worth the convenience? I usually combine with gas for the car too though. And I like talking to the guy and giving him the biz.

You only get 3.5 gallons with those "cage" exchange places, Instead of 4.5 gallons for a full tank. At $2.79 a gallon just down the road from me that $10.00 isn't really much more and maybe worth the convenience? I usually combine with gas for the car too though. And I like talking to the guy and giving him the biz.
I never knew what they actually held, always just called these "jugs" 5 gal. All I cared about is for the same price it cost me to put the empty in my car, drive to the store, tell them I want an exchange, then wait for employee to get the key, swap the tanks, and charge me. I then get to put the jug back in my vehicle and drive it home. Or I can order a jug brought to my house and I don't even have to be home. They drop off the full and take the empty. So I will have them bring it to me.
If you are talking about filling a jug you own? I used to do that decades back. Then had to load the empty, find a place that refilled them, get the clerk to come out and fill it, take the full one back home. When the jugs I had expired and had to be re tested? That was when I first tried the exchange thing. Did not feel like driving to the hydro testing place and pay to have the tank checked and certified again just so I could go back to having it filled. Now if I had something here where I used a lot of LP? Then I suppose I would weigh the cost per gal I was paying compared to what I would save to drive over and have one filled and then have to pay to keep the jugs certified.

I never knew what they actually held, always just called these "jugs" 5 gal. All I cared about is for the same price it cost me to put the empty in my car, drive to the store, tell them I want an exchange, then wait for employee to get the key, swap the tanks, and charge me. I then get to put the jug back in my vehicle and drive it home. Or I can order a jug brought to my house and I don't even have to be home. They drop off the full and take the empty. So I will have them bring it to me.
If you are talking about filling a jug you own? I used to do that decades back. Then had to load the empty, find a place that refilled them, get the clerk to come out and fill it, take the full one back home. When the jugs I had expired and had to be re tested? That was when I first tried the exchange thing. Did not feel like driving to the hydro testing place and pay to have the tank checked and certified again just so I could go back to having it filled. Now if I had something here where I used a lot of LP? Then I suppose I would weigh the cost per gal I was paying compared to what I would save to drive over and have one filled and then have to pay to keep the jugs certified.
Yeah, they clearly have a following at those places. The bottle it's self is 5 gal. The OPD shuts the fill off a half gallon short. I'm a cheap bastage. I change my own oil in my trucks, boat motors and CR-V too. I have taken a tank that's out dated to the exchange, but you have to sort through and get one with a good date. Some of those exchange tanks have some real serious rust under the paint. They've recertified them though. The place I take mine to be filled is also where I get gas and he doesn't check my tanks dates.

Yeah, they clearly have a following at those places. The bottle it's self is 5 gal. The OPD shuts the fill off a half gallon short. I'm a cheap bastage. I change my own oil in my trucks, boat motors and CR-V too. I have taken a tank that's out dated to the exchange, but you have to sort through and get one with a good date. Some of those exchange tanks have some real serious rust under the paint. They've recertified them though. The place I take mine to be filled is also where I get gas and he doesn't check my tanks dates.
Sadly oil change is about the only damn thing I will still try on my vehicles. Used to have no problem changing simple stuff like an alternator. Now its more damn hassle and work than its worth. If the vehicle needs to be some other service and its oil time I will have my shop do it. I am terrified to use those lube shops things. Price they charge is damn near the same as it costs me for them to do it. I just don't trust the damn kids there to not screw something up and leave me to try to prove they did. :eek:

Sadly oil change is about the only damn thing I will still try on my vehicles. Used to have no problem changing simple stuff like an alternator. Now its more damn hassle and work than its worth. If the vehicle needs to be some other service and its oil time I will have my shop do it. I am terrified to use those lube shops things. Price they charge is damn near the same as it costs me for them to do it. I just don't trust the damn kids there to not screw something up and leave me to try to prove they did. :eek:
I took our '05 CRV to Tonkin for years. When they upped the price to $59.00, then $54.00, now I get coupons for $45.00 but once I discovered how fricken easy it is.... Just have to wrap the frame with foil so the filter doesn't drip into the frame.

The OPD (Overfill Protection Device) is another bogus government "safety" mandate to fix a problem that didn't really exist. Not only that, but they often shut off delivery when there is still plenty of propane left in the bottle.

Another government gift to special interests. In this case I call it the "Exchange Propane Cylinder Purveyor Enrichment Device."

The OPD (Overfill Protection Device) is another bogus government "safety" mandate to fix a problem that didn't really exist. Not only that, but they often shut off delivery when there is still plenty of propane airspace left in the bottle.

Another government gift to special interests. In this case I call it the "Exchange Propane Cylinder Purveyor Enrichment Device."
I think you meant airspace so I fixed it for you.

Yeah, the OPD was seen as needed because the attendants filling the tank wouldn't shut of the pump when raw propane started coming out the bleeder hole. Having NO airspace in that tank on a hot day in a car, or in the sun ,could be a pretty bad thing if it got hot enough to burst the tank. What ticks me of is when I don't get my last 16-24 ounces of gas because the OPD arm is bent and it shuts off prematurely..

I think you meant airspace so I fixed it for you.

Yeah, the OPD was seen as needed because the attendants filling the tank wouldn't shut of the pump when raw propane started coming out the bleeder hole. Having NO airspace in that tank on a hot day in a car, or in the sun ,could be a pretty bad thing if it got hot enough to burst the tank. What ticks me of is when I don't get my last 16-24 ounces of gas because the OPD arm is bent and it shuts off prematurely..
because the OPD arm is bent purposely misaligned and it shuts off prematurely.

Fixed it for you.

because the OPD arm is bent purposely misaligned and it shuts off prematurely.

Fixed it for you.
I don't know about purposely misaligned? I mean, the device has to fit through the small hole in the top of tank. It could get tweaked in that process.

Once my propane cylinders were changed over to OPD models, I noticed that they wouldn't deliver all the contents. I started weighing them, and found that they average nearly two pounds of propane left in the tank. That is two pounds less capacity, any way you measure it. Two pounds of propane per tank that you are charged for by the exchange tank purveyors is a government-sponsored scam, any way you look at it.

The "bent" arms are not accidental, they are intentional.

The only other excuse would be that there is not enough room in the tank to allow the float valve to both retain the air-space and allow all the propane to be used. That would still be a government-sponsored scam.

Mike, after rereading your last post, I think were are talking past each other. I was not complaining about losing the "extra" capacity by not being able to overfill the bottle. I was talking about the OPD shutting off the flow when there is still a lot of propane left in the bottle.

I was talking about the OPD shutting off the flow when there is still a lot of propane left in the bottle.
It doesn't work that way. OPD = Overflow Protection Device. There is a float that blocks the filling when the liquid propane gets up near the bleed off tube. There's no connection between the OPD and the tank emptying. Sometimes while filling the liquid hits the bleed off tube before the OPD stops the flow. Sometimes the OPD stops the flow before the liquid hit the bleed off tube. That tells me the float arms may get tweaked some on installation at the factory.

The BS put out about OPD valves always has a statement like "the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process."

You have to dig deeper into the design of the valve. It also has a feature designed to prevent flow unless it is attached to a hose end connection. Apparently, it is this feature that prevents using all the propane.

Perhaps the float isn't the problem, but the OPD valve unit is keeping people from using the propane they pay for. The valve is still the problem.

"I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you!"

How_Dare_You.gif
All this talk of burning gas and......all this jugs talk.

motor_boat.gif
(BTW....she is 18 years old.)

Aloha, Mark

PS......
Lord_I_apologize_for_that.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show