JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Absolute finest buck ever made...I have three. What do you mean by stag scales installed?

I believe that the OP means stag slabs put on and the original handle taken off.

Some knife makers call them scales (Especially wood ones from what I have seen and read.) and some stag and other slabs of an animal or 'whatever else' are used for handles too. I am NO expert. My husband knows several knife makers here in MT. He knows a lot about SOME, not all, knives too. I helped pick out some wood for a few of his custom made SMALLER fixed blade knives. Three types of wood - several years ago.

I have gone to a couple of knife shows and I looked at quite a few knives. I handled a LOT of knives in person at various STORES to SEE and FEEL how they fit MY hands too.

I helped my husband with some of his knives over the years. I LOOKED up some old ones up for him. He knew the history of most of them plus we wanted more info for gifts.

Plus my late husband was into some very SPECIFIC knives too. BOTH men were into knives and carried knives - pocket knives ON their body from a VERY young age as did my late Father, other OLDER - long gone men and my older brother who is still alive.

So the BUCK 124 FRONTIERSMAN KNIFE would have new handles put on and the original or older handles would be taken off.

Cate - An Old Lady who still loves her knives!

PS: I do not own a BUCK 124 but I do own SEVERAL Buck - IDAHO MADE, Ka-Bar - NEW YORK MADE, etc. good quality - fixed blade knives. I always did ADMIRE the #124 Frontiersman and the #120 General fixed blade knives too!

Last Edited:
Cate....thank you for that. I also collect very specific knives and am getting to be an old fart 😂

As far as FEEL, handling, design and blade quality go, IMHO, the Westmark series of 701, 702 and 703 knives are simply the best. Made by Western originally in '70. Stunning and so comfortable and well made....I have probably a dozen if them. Have you ever held one??

Cate....thank you for that. I also collect very specific knives and am getting to be an old fart 😂

As far as FEEL, handling, design and blade quality go, IMHO, the Westmark series of 701, 702 and 703 knives are simply the best. Made by Western originally in '70. Stunning and so comfortable and well made....I have probably a dozen if them. Have you ever held one??

Hello,

No, I have not held one to the best of my memory EVER but I could be wrong too.

Maybe I did growing up or at some other point of time but I was NOT super into knives back at that time.

KNIVES were just a TOOL or some OBJECT that got carried or used around the house, kitchen, woods, used for emergencies, on netting for fishing, etc. Some of them were BEAUTIFUL TO ME and some were so so.

My late husband and I never owned the WESTERN BRAND. I do know that for SURE because when I was moving away from the house that we built after he died... I gave away many gifts.

PLUS before he died and could still do this with his cancer... he and I went through some special TOOLS and some other items that I was not sure about pricing for sale or gifting.

These were NOT the tools that WE chose and bought together for building a house and working on our one acre of land in the boonies. I KNEW ALL ABOUT THOSE TOOLS and other things for sure but not some special ones that I NEVER USED.

Some were METRIC and some were American too. Used for prototype machinery, other complicated things and vehicles. I did NOT know metric. HE did know metric calculations. I did not speak German or write it or read it. He could speak several languages, MORE than me, and Latin which both of us took in middle school.

These were FOREIGN made and more expensive tools from Germany, England and Japan. MIXED in one tool chest was a section for some special knives and NOT the knives that I kept in the house - den or kitchen or carried. NOT the knives for having in the vehicles or sail and power boats.

I do not remember SEEING WB knives even in the old general store in a village 2.5 miles from our house in the country. Or seeing them at the farm 'elevator' or on the East Coast (Town or country.) or in my late husband's former state - farm/lake boonies in the Great Lakes region. But I was not 'hunting' for them too. LOL

I am NO expert in knives but I do remember some knife names even some old ones from my late husband and some of his military knives - Nam era and on. He was 5 years older than me.

But I have READ about the Western Brand on some knife boards here and there. I did ask my MT husband if he ever owned any WB knives and he said that he owned 2 of them a VERY, very long time ago. He does not remember the model names. I think that he said that he owned a fixed blade and a folding knife but he is sleeping now so I can't ask him about their handles, blade length, etc.

I will LOOK up what a Westmark series is just to see what they are all about.

Don't feel bad about age now - LOL. I will be 71 years old this summer if I should live so long!

Take care! Nice talking to you.

Cate

Last Edited:
Hello,

No, I have not held one to the best of my memory EVER but I could be wrong too.

Maybe I did growing up or at some other point of time but I was NOT super into knives back at that time.

KNIVES were just a TOOL or some OBJECT that got carried or used around the house, kitchen, woods, used for emergencies, on netting for fishing, etc. Some of them were BEAUTIFUL TO ME and some were so so.

My late husband and I never owned the WESTERN BRAND. I do know that for SURE because when I was moving away from the house that we built after he died... I gave away many gifts.

PLUS before he died and could still do this with his cancer... he and I went through some special TOOLS and some other items that I was not sure about pricing for sale or gifting.

These were NOT the tools that WE chose and bought together for building a house and working on our one acre of land in the boonies. I KNEW ALL ABOUT THOSE TOOLS and other things for sure but not some special ones that I NEVER USED.

Some were METRIC and some were American too. Used for prototype machinery, other complicated things and vehicles. I did NOT know metric. HE did know metric calculations. I did not speak German or write it or read it. He could speak several languages, MORE than me, and Latin which both of us took in middle school.

These were FOREIGN made and more expensive tools from Germany, England and Japan. MIXED in one tool chest was a section for some special knives and NOT the knives that I kept in the house - den or kitchen or carried. NOT the knives for having in the vehicles or sail and power boats.

I do not remember SEEING WB knives even in the old general store in a village 2.5 miles from our house in the country. Or seeing them at the farm 'elevator' or on the East Coast (Town or country.) or in my late husband's former state - farm/lake boonies in the Great Lakes region. But I was not 'hunting' for them too. LOL

I am NO expert in knives but I do remember some knife names even some old ones from my late husband and some of his military knives - Nam era and on. He was 5 years older than me.

But I have READ about the Western Brand on some knife boards here and there. I did ask my MT husband if he ever owned any WB knives and he said that he owned 2 of them a VERY, very long time ago. He does not remember the model names. I think that he said that he owned a fixed blade and a folding knife but he is sleeping now so I can't ask him about their handles, blade length, etc.

I will LOOK up what a Westmark series is just to see what they are all about.

Don't feel bad about age now - LOL. I will be 71 years old this summer if I should live so long!

Take care! Nice talking to you.

Cate
PS: I looked up some of the Westmark series in the Western Brand name and they are REALLY PRETTY!

Woo hoo!

There are several more LINKS online.

Back to our scheduled programming and the OP's thread. Grin.

Cate

If I were looking to have custom work done to a Buck knife I would contact my old next door neighbor Joe Houser. Joe heads up the custom knife department at Buck knifes. Just a guess here (not really a guess) Buck may have the ability. As a benefit you wouldn't be affecting your warrantee.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top