JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Earlier this week I called Crimson Trace to inquire about the new Crimson Trace LGD-417, which is a dual laser setup with a 5mW red laser and a .7mW IR laser which can be used with night vision devices. Michael from CT informed me that they were not available for sale to civilians, and couldn't provide anymore information other than it is "in house policy". Apparently civilians can't be trusted with low power, eye safe IR according to Crimson Trace.

Since the .7mW laser is a Class 1 laser, it is eye safe, I was curious as to why CT had this policy? One of the reasons the military IR lasers such as the DBAL A2 are not available to the public is they use a 50mW IR laser which can blind you. The danger is it's IR, so you can't see it before it burns the eye. You would have no reflex to turn away and / or blink.

When I told Michael that Laser Devices Inc. has a civilian version of the DBAL A2 called the DBAL I2 which uses the same .7mW laser, he couldn't provide any information other than they were not selling to civilians. Actually the DBAL I2 upgraded the IR to .9mW which is good out to 300yds or so. There is demand for this type of technology on the civilian side, but it appears CT has a "us vs them" attitude.:rolleyes:

Anyone who wants to comment, share or +1, beyond the forum please visit Night Vision Gear and leave a comment.

I will not go into the liberty but from what I know from my experience with Crimson Trace, there was an incident of it being abused and misused and because of that and some kind of litigation or settlement, it was decided to not offer it to civvies again.
it's their lawyers and their product. When Laser devices gets sued to high heaven and settles a lawsuit in regards to the misuse of their product, they too will change their tune.
I don't like it or support it or advocate it but it is their product and their policies.

I believe this particular model is pretty recent. I was not aware of any other IR devices sold by this company, neither have I researched it. I can see why that would be a policy if that did happen. It would seem much more likely that someone with just a visible red laser pointing at various things might also be cause for alarm which would seem much more likely. Simply because not to many have NV which could make us of the IR.

Lawyers run the show no matter what. CTC is just running by that. It's nothing to do with being anti gun or anti civilian. It is just playing nice with all the gov types and not creating lawsuits.

If you really want an IR, there are links and How to's to convert a regular laser to IR all around including filters to add to the front of the laser head to convert to IR.

Recent model or older models or whichever, it is a corporate policy and the lawyers run the show.

What I was trying to accomplish was to be able to shoot my pistol at night. Since the NV only focuses on one distance at a time, if you are looking ahead and draw your pistol its blury. My buddy has a Trijicon RMR and it works, but it blooms the NV some, but it does work. Plus I'd have to send the slide off to be milled or buy an aftermarket slide, which I didn't really want to do. The CT was a better option for my wants. I have read how green lasers eat up more battery life vs red and IR has something to do with using part of the green spectrum (I think). I am wondering if the circuitry is different. Either way it would have been nice to have the option to run red or IR.

I just followed the link you provided and found the following:

DBAL-I2

50410 (Matte Black)

50410D (Desert Sand)
View 7 Accessories
Restricted to Government agencies only. EXPORT LICENSE REQUIRED.

So theirs is also restricetd to government agencies.

I just followed the link you provided and found the following:

DBAL-I2

50410 (Matte Black)

50410D (Desert Sand)
View 7 Accessories
Restricted to Government agencies only. EXPORT LICENSE REQUIRED.

So theirs is also restricetd to government agencies.

LDI DBAL-I² Class 1 IR Laser

Civilian Legal IR Laser - Dual Beam Aiming Laser Intelligent²

Sorry maybe this link will clarify things a bit. LDI DBAL-I² Class 1 IR Laser ‹ Catalog Products ‹ Products ‹ Tactical Night Vision Company

It does look as if the unit includes an infrared laser along with a visible laser, and the price is inline with other high quality sighting systems, so even though it is a low wattage, It will probably work just fine as long as you don't try to streach the limits on distance.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top