JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So an opportunity has arisen for me and one buddy to go coyote hunting in Eastern Oregon on private land.

My question to all of you who do this is what do you use to call them in? Is there one that works better than another?

Also what caliber rifle do you guys use? I was told that some of the shots on yotes can be out to 3-400 yards so I was thinking of using my Tikka in .308 and bringing another rifle for sage rats.

I've heard electric calls with a rag attached to a fishing line to make movement works pretty good.

No reason not to use your Tikka if your not keeping the pelts.

I'd go 5.56 for the sage rats.

When are you going and who's the lucky buddy:rolleyes:

I've heard electric calls with a rag attached to a fishing line to make movement works pretty good.

No reason not to use your Tikka if your not keeping the pelts.

I'd go 5.56 for the sage rats.

When are you going and who's the lucky buddy:rolleyes:

I'll let you know when we are going. :D

Yah, I used to go.

Used an electronic caller and a mouth call in combination. Dying rabbit calls worked the best. Also used a lure as Joe13 mentioned.

Can use your .308 if you want. It's not needed for 300yd shots tho since coyotes are thin skinned. I have used a .223, a 22-250 (really tears them a new one), and my .308. Also have .308 sabots with .22 55gr spitzers loaded up, screaming out at near 4000fps.

Distance varies with hunting location. Rarely is less than 75yds but it can happen if your call tech is good and goes from loud to get them alerted to a whisper as they get closer.

I've got a call you can borrow if needed.

223/556 is about plenty really anything bigger just ensures they get dead.

Earlier in the season I have more success with couote vocalizations and then have more luck with distress calls through the winter.

I used to have a dedicated calling rifle, now I just use a deer rifle. A 7mm Rem Mag and 120gr Ballistic Tips is a fun coyote load.

Thinking about going late march or early April depending when the ground squirrels start popping there head out that way we can shoot both. If everything goes right this might be the lead where more of us can go the next time.

Well I will definitely be using my suppressor so I will let you know if I get the chance. I would like to say I don't miss but I am human.

@Greenbug is just a robot so if he misses they just reboot his operating system so it doesn't happen again. :D

So here is my usual run down.

I get to my spot during the dark. O'dark early. I try to get the sun to my back in a nice area where I can sit comfortably. Get myself and my rifle and caller situated.

I usually start with a few serenade calls. To gauge how many packs there are around and what direction they are in. This helps me decide if I need to quickly relocate. IE if the pack starts howling from the east, well your gonna be looking right into the sun.

After at least 5-10 minutes of waking up the packs in the area with the serenade I switch to a Alpha map yipe/howl. This is good for bringing a couple at a time sometimes.

After that I usually play a loop of a fawnling in distress or a various rabbit distress call. This should get at least one or two if you're lucky.

I keep a hand call on me also. Just a yip call. It helps stop them when they decide to get out of dodge. If your with a buddy this could get the second shot off on the second yote.

Usually after a shot I move to another location and start all over.

If after 1-2 hours no more come, I move areas.

Things I've learned.

Scope dope your lenses. Last thing you want to do is take a breath looking through your scope when one comes along for the first time and fog up your lense.

Practice down hill shooting if hunting in clear cuts. You'll likely miss your first shot if you don't.

Get a good butt pad, unless your sitting in chairs hunting a valley.

A book doesn't hurt if you don't like sitting in nature waiting.

Those little hand warmers are a godsend.

Have FUN!

Sounds like we need a coyote hunting club. I'd enjoy giving it a try.

I'm trying to work my way onto private land. If I told them there were 15 guys coming with me I'm guessing it would be a no go! :D

My hope is that once I get my foot in the door that I can take some extra guys with me. But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm trying to work my way onto private land. If I told them there were 15 guys coming with me I'm guessing it would be a no go! :D

My hope is that once I get my foot in the door that I can take some extra guys with me. But I'm not holding my breath.

Man never over use a welcome!
If you get a good situation you better savor it and screw everyone else (myself included....sadly)

I had a hook up for 50% off under armour and the guy abused it and then we all lost.
Man I wish I still had that!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads