JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So... I got a set of Body Armor Outlet's 4401SH shooters cut Level IV standalone plates. They're good, looks good, seems decent.. but.. they don't quite fit my overly large chest :confused: Being Single curve.. as opposed to multicurves. As a comparison, on me, the 2XL 3A soft armor vest with custom carrier that fits a set of multicurve 10x12 Level III+/Special Threat In Conjunction With plates, fits me far far better. I don't know. At first, I thought maybe upsizing would be better but....... given that SAPI L is 10x 13.25ish, and that SAPI XL is 11x14... I'm told on Reddit to drop 100-150 lbs from 300, and try 10x12s again. (Down to 150-200... 150 might be too skinny :rolleyes: ); according to being 5'8" :rolleyes: My biggest concern is that 10x12 might just be too short on the height for me to feel comfortable.. 20210203_124610.jpg
Front of plates
20210203_124628.jpg
Rear of plates
20210203_124747.jpg
Plate versus yours truly
20200701_155151.jpg

20200701_155217.jpg

Front and back of 2XL custom carrier with ICW plates inserted on same model. No custom carrier for standalone plates (yet...:rolleyes:), haven't decided if I want to use those or to sell them with the cheapy carrier, and upgrade to either Multicurve Level 4s in 10x12s or SAPI L size.
Thread on the custom 2XL carrier. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/prototype-personal-body-armor-rig-done.331162/

Question is, do they cover enough of the heart and lungs?

I apologize if this picture is offensive in nature, but it helps look at what's inside. Not sure if it is proportionate, but I'm thinking your heart and lungs should be covered if not mostly.

FeHCtB-4pKE3dwrk4idKPKG4N00AaollSIhY5OWfWUg.jpg

Question is, do they cover enough of the heart and lungs?

I apologize if this picture is offensive in nature, but it helps look at what's inside. Not sure if it is proportionate, but I'm thinking your heart and lungs should be covered if not mostly.

View attachment 820073
Its not offensive in the least bit. The prevailing wisdom is basically the plates should be small or narrow enough that one can get into an isosceles stance without pinching armpits area, and be short enough that one can grapple/ball up without getting choked.. versus the older idea of "nipple to nipple then collar to belly button" for width and height.

It's one of the few times Reddit is right.

I would absolutely be more concerned about getting my weight down and get out of the XL/XXL type sizing as much as possible. Not just for the ability to comfortably wear plates, but to take strain off the body. Because if you're in a run-and-gun type situation (emphasis on 'run') where the Bad Guys have enough firepower to necessitate the need for IV's, your biggest risk is going to be your stamina. The next risk (more dangerous) is that the only grenade on the field ends up being your heart.

Otherwise it seems like you're just setting yourself up to be a lead magnet. And that's 100% defeating the goal of trying to survive.

Like the others, not trying to be jerk about it, but speed, stamina, and agility is as critical if not moreso to self defense than plates and a carrier.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top