JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What if we had 1 year of conscripted service when you turned 18? Would we benefit as a society? It wouldn't be limited to military, but other first response roles as well.

Options might include:

- Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, etc.
- Coast Guard
- Local city / state police
- EMT & Fire
- Emergency preparedness orgs.

Good idea or bad?

Nope. Against it. Bad idea.

I strongly believe that conscription in any form is unconstitutional, anti-freedom and infringes on our natural rights.

Beyond that, I strongly believe it is detrimental to any service in which the conscripted would serve. I personally witnessed the impact of service members who no longer wished to be in the service (in my case, the USCG) and were not willing to wait until their enlistment expired. It hurt both morale and effectiveness. Indeed, when several recruits went AWOL during boot, at that point I believed they should have just given them a dishonorable discharge, or at least a discharge for the good of the service. Same with those who later, after being stationed, stopped obeying orders/etc. - and some who were doing drugs, and some who would show up for duty drunk.

Volunteer only has worked well, and I believe we should do away with the draft altogether.

Also, I don't believe in the idea that the military/etc. "makes men out of boys". It is both my opinion and experience that if someone doesn't already have the internal character and maturity, no external force will give it to them. They either have it or they don't. Over time I matured, but the military didn't give me anything I didn't already have. It took me years to realize that, and by that time I had left the service, but that is my observation.

Service to community and country is a good idea.
To work , serve and put others before oneself is honorable outlook.

I do like the options for non-military service.
While I did serve in the Army...I can understand that military service , is not the best for everyone.
Also non-military service can give those who love their country , but cannot join the military , a way to serve.

A "short-timer" hitch as in a year or two , could be a good way to gain some real world , away from home experience , as well as learning some skills and perhaps earning some education benefits .
Andy

Maybe connect it to tuition somehow...if they complete a year, more if they agree to longer?

It would/could be a good thing, but there would need to be NO deferrals....for anyone.
Not for Senator's kids, wealthy donors, connected media/academia/celebrities, flat feet, athletics, etc....

It should/could also include farm labor, street cleaning, brush clearing....etc.... for those that are unable to pass the physical/mental requirements, or who feel/parents feel that they're much "too precious" for a branch of the Service.

Maybe connect it to tuition somehow...if they complete a year, more if they agree to longer?

It would/could be a good thing, but there would need to be NO deferrals....for anyone.
Not for Senator's kids, wealthy donors, connected media/academia/celebrities, flat feet, athletics, etc....

It should/could also include farm labor, street cleaning, brush clearing....etc.... for those that are unable to pass the physical/mental requirements, or who feel/parents feel that they're much "too precious" for a branch of the Service.

A "jobs corp" kind of like the CCC would not be a bad thing IMO. But voluntary only.

A "jobs corp" kind of like the CCC would not be a bad thing IMO. But voluntary only.

We have the Americorps, Peace Corps, and a few other voluntary community type services existing. Also the Scouting programs as well, although they all have the problem of politics and bureaucracy making them less than what they were meant for :(

The biggest issue I can see at the moment... is that public education is still pushing the notion that "A (liberal arts) college degree is the only ""real"" future" for students.. and basically telling children that without a college degree, they would never be successful. :s0054:
Trades/vocational schooling (bringing Home Ec and shop classes back. Be it metalworking, woodworking, or technical courses like electronics, plumbing,and the like) would be a bigger benefit for several programs, and might also be able to parlay the community service ideas into a valid career option for students.

Honestly, Home Ec type of classes would be awesome to see coming back, especially with the whole work-from-home thing

What if we had 1 year of conscripted service when you turned 18? Would we benefit as a society? It wouldn't be limited to military, but other first response roles as well.

Options might include:

- Coast Guard
- EMT & Fire

Good idea or bad?

One year is IMHO....not enough to get a person proficient in the job. And, it's probably a waste of time and training funds to be spent on someone.....that will leave in one year.

BUT.....for "Cannon Fodder". Well....that's another subject.

Which got me thinking....

Why give student loans and grants......to those that have done little to nothing for the country? IMHO.....perhaps they should "serve first". I.e. like the GI BIll.

Aloha, Mark

Why give student loans and grants......to those that have done little to nothing for the country? IMHO.....perhaps they should "serve first". I.e. like the GI BIll.
By same token, why give Congress any pay? They certainly have not done good for the country :rolleyes:

Americorps was a 2 year thing last I remember.. most conscript services in other parts of the world are between 2 to 3 years I think.

How about a person must have a full-time job, not live with relatives, not receive money from relatives, and pay the taxes accrued from their employment/residence/etc. from their own income for two years prior to enrollment in higher education (college/university). Make the snowflakes experience real life before they experience the Marxist propaganda. ;)

Options might include:

- Coast Guard
- EMT & Fire

Good idea or bad?
Best option would be digging ditches with overseers on horseback with shotguns and bull whips.

How about a person must have a full-time job, not live with relatives, not receive money from relatives, and pay the taxes accrued from their employment/residence/etc. from their own income for two years prior to enrollment in higher education (college/university). Make the snowflakes experience real life before they experience the Marxist propaganda. ;)

How about we just let everybody do as they please as long as they do not infringe on other's Natural Rights? In other words, stop trying to mandate other's behavior as long as that behavior does not infringe on your Natural Rights.

This is the basis of Libertarian philosophy.

That does not mean that the government has the right to take your property/income and give it to others who chose to not work. There is a difference between negative rights and positive rights.

We have the Americorps, Peace Corps, and a few other voluntary community type services existing. Also the Scouting programs as well, although they all have the problem of politics and bureaucracy making them less than what they were meant for :(

The biggest issue I can see at the moment... is that public education is still pushing the notion that "A (liberal arts) college degree is the only ""real"" future" for students.. and basically telling children that without a college degree, they would never be successful. :s0054:
Trades/vocational schooling (bringing Home Ec and shop classes back. Be it metalworking, woodworking, or technical courses like electronics, plumbing,and the like) would be a bigger benefit for several programs, and might also be able to parlay the community service ideas into a valid career option for students.

Honestly, Home Ec type of classes would be awesome to see coming back, especially with the whole work-from-home thing
Agreed. But until the "no child left behind" bs goes away you're not going to see it. Not as long as school funding boils down to to standardized test score rankings.

For the immediate future...

... no.

1602525793300.png

Conscription is slavery, so no, I'm against it. However, if we have to have voting, I'd rather we used Heinlein's idea - only those who voluntarily served, get to vote.

Conscription is slavery, so no, I'm against it. However, if we have to have voting, I'd rather we used Heinlein's idea - only those who voluntarily served, get to vote.

I agree conscription is anti-freedom, akin to slavery, but I believe every citizen has the right to vote.

OTOH, I might agree that to a stipulation that to serve in public office one needs to have served in the military first.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top