JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And..... Again the issue raised was SBR or not which is relevant to both a STOCk and BARREL length.

Ok.

THIS concept exactly how I described it, does NOT constitute ans SBR, so long as proper precautions are taken. (such as never having the stock installed while a barrel of less than 16" in length is installed)...issue raised and resolved.

ATF STATEMENT:

a firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made
when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a
barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration
not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol).

Why on this earth would someone waste so much time converting a gun with a crappy trigger to a rifle? That has to be the most sensless thing I have read yet.
Why do you think rifles have the light triggers and clean breaks that they have? Would you really want to hunt with a Glock trigger?

Why on this earth would someone waste so much time converting a gun with a crappy trigger to a rifle? That has to be the most sensless thing I have read yet.
Why do you think rifles have the light triggers and clean breaks that they have? Would you really want to hunt with a Glock trigger?

Same reason there's aftermarket for rifle triggers there is for handgun. Ever hear of Glockworx? :)

Trigger job.

For one,with my limited knowledge of NFA items,the barrel length does nothing to a pistol.Barrel can be as long as you want.
But Mech tech claims their system can be changed back and forth from pistol to carbine.

MechTech - Home

So Nwcid,is that collapsible stock GTG or does it make a NFA problem? Without a barrel change,that is
(notice the person I asked,since I am sure HE has read the rules)

And I am sure a G'smith can make a 22 barrel for your project ,outdoors

A Handgun can have any length barrel you like, it could be 1 mile long and is still a pistol. Now IF you want to add a butt stock and not get into NFA you have to have a Minimum of 16" barrel and OAL of 26". By Federal law and most states OAL is measured from "extreme ends" meaning with the stock open/extended. That is why a Mini Uzi is legal in most states because with the stock folded IIRC it is about 24". So a collapsible or folding stock would be legal by Federal law and WA/OR law as a non-NFA item assuming you attached a 16" barrel to the gun BEFORE adding the stock.

All MechTech is doing is following the same laws as everyone else, their barrel and stock just happen to go on at the same time.

I read a while back that pistols can go to rifle and back, but rifles can only go to a pistol, and not be changed back. Meaning that in order to be turned back into a pistol it must have had to start out as a pistol.

The part in red is FALSE. Once a rifle ALWYAS a rifle. The only thing you can change a rifle into by reducing length or barrel size is a NFA item called a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). So with that said it negates you last line because the only way to have a pistol is to start with a pistol.

Barrel length does nothing to a pistol. i can have a pistol with a 30" barrel and it wont make a difference.
The buttstock is what makes it a go-no-go as far as barrel length is concerned.

IE pistol with >16" barrel + buttstock (now a rifle)= ok
pistol with <16" barrel + buttstock (now an SBR)= not ok

Fixed this statement for you a bit. BOTH are OK assuming you are following all Federal, State and local laws. You can 100% say what the definitions of each are but you can not say if they are "OK" or not.

Hahaha, one of those kinda people huh? Can't wait for an opportunity to bash a glock. It is impossible for someone to waste money on something that they think is cool. Even if you don't like what they are spending the money on. It would only be a waste if you spent money on something you wouldn't enjoy.

The part in red is FALSE. Once a rifle ALWYAS a rifle. The only thing you can change a rifle into by reducing length or barrel size is a NFA item called a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR). So with that said it negates you last line because the only way to have a pistol is to start with a pistol.
The ATF statement I referenced suggests otherwise. Pistols can turn into a rifle and back to a pistol without creating a NFA firearm

What does this have to to with this topic? I am sure you can get one made but all the barrels for them are 16" or longer.............
Quite simply, seeking a solution to an answer that already exists is silly, and is about to devolve into glock bashing. :)

Just buy that rifle, and you're done, none of this magical mystery atf tour.

The ATF statement I referenced suggests otherwise. Pistols can turn into a rifle and back to a pistol without creating a NFA firearm

That is correct. That is not what I read in your writing though. You said "but rifles can only go to a pistol, and not be changed back" which is false. If you are talking about the comment, you dont need it. It is equivalent to saying "the color orange is orange". What you said is basically is "to be a pistol it has to be a pistol".

Not trying to muddy things up and while "pistol" is a commonly used and known term more accurate and fitting into legal definition the word "handgun" should be used when talking in terms of what is legal or not.

Oh, what I meant is that if the firearm starts out as a rifle it can only be converted to a pistol and not back to a rifle. However if the firearm was originally a pistol it can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol. What matters is the original state of the firearm.

Oh, what I meant is that if the firearm starts out as a rifle it can only be converted to a pistol and not back to a rifle.

False.

Pistol -> Rifle = OK, no SBR

Pistol -> Rifle -> Pistol = OK, no SBR (if done correctly)

Rifle -> Pistol = Not okay unless SBR'd first

Rifle -> SBR = Fun

However if the firearm was originally a pistol it can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol. What matters is the original state of the firearm.

True

Back to the OP. If you found a 16" barrel you may need a recoil booster/Nielsen device because the slide might not actuate without assistance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top