JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've looked around, and I'm having trouble finding a simple, straight forward answer to a question I have.

I have a CHL. With that, is it legal for me to have a gun in my car that is

A.) Loaded

B.) hidden from plain view

and

C.) accessible.

I understand that *normally* these things are unlawful, but I cannot find anything on whether or not being a CHL holder makes these actions lawful or not.

Basically what I'm asking is, would I be able to put something like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ptKIYZ6LL._SL1500_.jpg in my car with a loaded handgun?

Also, side question: title 2 weapons in that situation, such as a handgun with a silencer or a pistol with a foregrip. Lawful or not?

I think the three criteria you mentioned are the definition of concealed carry, and I believe in most states you are covered if your permit is valid there. In some states, having a CCP/CHL is the only way you can carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle, concealed or not.

Yes. (Not touching the title II stuff I don't know)

As a FYI;
Loaded and accessible is not unlawful without a CHL UNLESS you are in some of those unlawful counties. You can have it on the dash, seat etc as long as it's visible from a walk around. (This is without a CHL)

With CHL you can have it buried under your arse, inside the center console, in the jockey box (with no passengers) etc.

Just a reminder in Washington the handgun must be on your physical person even with a permit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thought it should be mentioned as a lot of Oregonians travel in Wa.;);)

Just a reminder in Washington the handgun must be on your physical person even with a permit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Thought it should be mentioned as a lot of Oregonians travel in Wa.;);)

That is not how I understood it - just that it is accessable not on you.

And my understanding is that you can have it anywhere visible as an open carry.

I can not (read am too lazy to hunt that down so Im hoping one of the gurus can quote a law or just give a positive nod on that) find verification at this time either way.

On a side note back to the OP - i think that holster is just asking for trouble, unless you have really tinted windows...

On a side note back to the OP - i think that holster is just asking for trouble, unless you have really tinted windows...

Nothing wrong with that holster. It's visible (for OC). I've had under dash mounted and have been pulled over (tinted windows with Dr note) and none of them ever cared that it was there.
Like this:
steering_wheel_mount_1__13607.1390798392.1280.1280.jpg
Except I made my own for $20. I always made it a point for comfort that I would keep the firearm near myself as the driver and never have it "within easy reach/access" of a passenger.

RCW states somewhere.. I'm paraphrasing..
That if you leave the firearm in the vehicle it must be out of sight. I always stuffed it under the front seat. That mount/holster isn't valid for leaving it in vehicle. I dunno @Joe13 was that what you were thinking as well?

But for carry inside a car it's fine. Remember, concealed is concealed. Preference is that it is on your person which is considered "under your control". Heck, you could have a felon in your car and have your concealed on you and it's fine (from what I gather) because it's considered secured on you.

So really I see a couple different questions that are a jumbled answer ball rolled into one.

OP (Archeros) really some of these questions should be more specifically answered by a qualified person who knows what state you live in.

If you have a suppressor on a pistol in a car I sure hope it's in a case somewhere because I can't see any DGU that would warrant "ear protection" over personal protection. A pistol with a VFG is not a pistol. Cannot conceal it legally if I remember correctly.

But there is the answers, even if I think I smell a troll... (most people have more than two posts before asking such a deep question)

steering_wheel_mount_1__13607.1390798392.1280.1280.jpg

Nothing wrong with that holster. It's visible (for OC). I've had under dash mounted and have been pulled over (tinted windows with Dr note) and none of them ever cared that it was there.
Like this:
View attachment 256072
Except I made my own for $20. I always made it a point for comfort that I would keep the firearm near myself as the driver and never have it "within easy reach/access" of a passenger.

That if you leave the firearm in the vehicle it must be out of sight. I always stuffed it under the front seat. That mount/holster isn't valid for leaving it in vehicle. I dunno @Joe13 was that what you were thinking as well?

But for carry inside a car it's fine. Remember, concealed is concealed. Preference is that it is on your person which is considered "under your control". Heck, you could have a felon in your car and have your concealed on you and it's fine (from what I gather) because it's considered secured on you.

So really I see a couple different questions that are a jumbled answer ball rolled into one.

That was about what I understood as well on the law. I was thinking about someone seeing an elaborate pistol rig in a parked car in a big lot - smash and grabs only take about 15-20 sec and it almost seems like undo attention.

But unless it looks like a kids backpack, I'm the put it in the trunk type - and I have really dark windows and highly recommend them to everyone;)

Agreed, the smash and grab type, AKA: window shoppers.

The problem with that type of a holder/holster/carrying rig INSIDE of a car is it does attract attention. It's like those guys who have all of the stereo stickers on the outside of their car. Thieves will know what to look for. I won't put any emblems of firearms on our cars. Maybe a III% or "Gadsden was right" etc type of stuff.

Anything in the cockpit alludes to what "may or may not be" in the trunk. 10 seconds from window smash, check center console, jockey box, then trunk and your stuff is gone and you have glass to replace.

It's fun driving a beater sometimes. Nothing to loose so you don't lock the doors.

have a CHL
is it legal for me to have a gun in my car that is
A.) Loaded YES
B.) hidden from plain view YES
C.) accessible. YES

Basically what I'm asking is, would I be able to put something like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ptKIYZ6LL._SL1500_.jpg in my car with a loaded handgun?
Yes, but it's in plain view

title 2 weapons, a silencer or a pistol with a fore-grip. Lawful or not?
Lawful if you paid the tax,
but attractive nuisance
somebody else will covet it,
somebody will fear it, turn you in

I have a CHL (Oregon), Concealed means concealed.
Inside waistband holster, my shirt covers it always, loose fit so it doesn't "print".
All my vehicles have a lockbox under the driver's seat.
Before I enter a prohibited area, my gun gets lockboxed, box goes under driver's seat.
Lockbox is attached to seat frame with a steel cable.
Thief will have to work at getting it.
Concealed, out of sight. Nobody knows.

Your car in Oregon was established a couple years ago that it was not a private but public and one would therefore think all public laws would apply to either OP carry or CHL here in Oregon.
I think Rep Kruse was looking to reverse that to where your car was like your home. I also think there is an exclusion to a motorhome but dont quote me on that .

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a CHL and no passengers put the gun anywhere you want. If you have passengers it's a good idea to keep the gun on your person within the vehicle. It's been said that a passenger who doesn't have a CHL could be charged if the concealed gun is accessible to them, like in the glove box.

In Washington you must have it on you with a permit for concealed carry. Not on the seat or under the steering wheel in a holster. Unloaded in a glove box or in the trunk.

Like this:
View attachment 256072

OP (Archeros) really some of these questions should be more specifically answered by a qualified person who knows what state you live in.

If you have a suppressor on a pistol in a car I sure hope it's in a case somewhere because I can't see any DGU that would warrant "ear protection" over personal protection. A pistol with a VFG is not a pistol. Cannot conceal it legally if I remember correctly.

But there is the answers, even if I think I smell a troll... (most people have more than two posts before asking such a deep question)

If I were to stop you in Washington with that holster hidden under the steering wheel you would have a .45 screwed into your ear before you would hear "keep your hands on the steering wheel." It would not be legal in WA. It does not comply with the definition of "open carry."

If I were to stop you in Washington with that holster hidden under the steering wheel you would have a .45 screwed into your ear before you would hear "keep your hands on the steering wheel."
Nice attitude. That goes well with the conversation.

Sure glad I don't live anywhere near where you may possibly interact with me.

Nice attitude. That goes well with the conversation.

Sure glad I don't live anywhere near where you may possibly interact with me.

Apparently you do not get it about the officer safety issue that is involved here. Why would anyone want to have a readily available gun attached to the steering column of their car? Quick and easy access to shoot someone. A cop does not know who they are dealing with when approaching a car and to spot a partially concealed handgun very near a drivers hand would be concerning. I would error on the side of safety.

Apparently you do not get it about the officer safety issue that is involved here. Why would anyone want to have a readily available gun attached to the steering column of their car? Quick and easy access to shoot someone. A cop does not know who they are dealing with when approaching a car and to spot a partially concealed handgun very near a drivers hand would be concerning. I would error on the side of safety.

I have very close friends who are officers. Hell I went out to the range with one two weeks ago. Info side with officer safety, your ASSumption is that people who are open carrying are hell bent on destruction and murdering anyone. A psychopath will assault an officer regardless if they weapon is holstered or in that center console.

So since I live in Oregon I will share a couple PERSONAL and RELEVANT experiences with having a firearm under the steering wheel. As a note I am a CHL holder in both Oregon and Washington.

Example 1:
Driving from the Mapleton OR area on route home through Triangle Lake (lots of curves). I was driving said Yukon that I owned wth dark window tint. Winding road + Yukon means at some point you will cross over unintentionally a white line. Pulled over by OSP. He approaches and sees the said firearm and before I could say anything I informed him to take a peek under the wheel. "Ok, thanks. So the reason I pulled you over..." He was checking for drunks. Since I crossed the lines I had no issue. Gave ID, told him I wouldn't divulge where the boys and I had been catching crawdads an hour ago. We were on our way.

Example 2:
Lord have mercy. Another OSP stop. Same thing. Carry on sir have a nice day.

Example 3:
Albany PD. Same results, same actions.

Example 4, 5, 6, 7:
Corvallis Police. Once it was on the seat in a CRX I was driving.

Example 8:
OSP, again. This time it was on the highway. Passenger side approach. Again, no issues. New bumper on Yukon and had not installed license plate. Left hand was at 12:00, right arm was over center console with hand on seat.

No guns were drawn, no ".45's in my ear". I did get one ticket that was dismissed in front of a judge. Besides, police know who you are 99% of the time before they exit the vehicle.

Respect. Give it and you get it. That goes for both sides.

Remember I used the under dash holster so my gun wasn't in my hip while driving. Comfort thing, that's why I had leather seats and seat warmers. :)

Having police officer friends is not the same thing as out there by yourself and doing the job. I was only commenting on the accessibility of the firearm near the driver that is partially concealed. Yes, its a good idea to tell an officer that you have a weapon in the car. The ".45 in your ear" comment was just to illustrate what could happen in a "stress" situation. Enough said.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top