JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm finally there, I'm old enough not to know computers anymore. So I am reaching out to those here, for computer advice.

I have used my iPad as a computer for years. Recently, I'm over the fact there is little to no storage on the pad.

My question is, is there a way to use an iPad as an external screen for a regular computer like a Mac mini?

I wouldn't actually have a screen for the Mac, just use the tablet as a wireless screen per say?

Thanks!

Reno

Does it have external storage capability? Can't you get a $10 wireless keyboard and mouse for it?
My anroid phone has 600 gb internal and is 4 years old.

Does it have external storage capability? Can't you get a $10 wireless keyboard and mouse for it?
My anroid phone has 600 gb internal and is 4 years old.
Dang. 600gb, Samsung sure is more user friendly in terms of hardware.

Nope I'm cheap! My iPad is old and I want to say has little capacity. The basic iPad is $300 and it's like 50gigs or something small like that. That way they can sell the cloud services. If you want more local memory, the price jumps exponentially. A 2 terabyte iPad is about 2k. It's only memory that makes the price jump too. An external 2 terabyte drive is something like $100. So Apple is totally playing games.

I have a cloud account, I think it's 500gbs. It's $3 a month.

Kind of tired of the whole no local capacity. Being that my iPad is basically just a screen, I figured it could be a screen for a local computer that has memory.

All the damn thing really needs is a micro SD slot. Getting apple to do that, well it will never ever happen.

If there is some form of an external hardware that links to Apple products similar to how they all interlink to each other, I'd get that.

Just figured I'di was going to spend 800-1000 I'd get the Mac mini and just run the tablets as screens, I'd that I'd possible?

Dang. 600gb, Samsung sure is more user friendly in terms of hardware.

Nope I'm cheap! My iPad is old and I want to say has little capacity. The basic iPad is $300 and it's like 50gigs or something small like that. That way they can sell the cloud services. If you want more local memory, the price jumps exponentially. A 2 terabyte iPad is about 2k. It's only memory that makes the price jump too. An external 2 terabyte drive is something like $100. So Apple is totally playing games.

I have a cloud account, I think it's 500gbs. It's $3 a month.

Kind of tired of the whole no local capacity. Being that my iPad is basically just a screen, I figured it could be a screen for a local computer that has memory.

All the damn thing really needs is a micro SD slot. Getting apple to do that, well it will never ever happen.

If there is some form of an external hardware that links to Apple products similar to how they all interlink to each other, I'd get that.

Just figured I'di was going to spend 800-1000 I'd get the Mac mini and just run the tablets as screens, I'd that I'd possible?
I'm not your guy when it comes to these newfangled devices.. perhaps this bump will help, lol.

Just an idea...I pay $10/month for Microsoft 365. This gets me access to the latest suite of Microsoft software, Word, Excel, Outlook, etc., and they have versions for both PC's and Macs. And it also gets me 1TB of cloud storage.

I store very little on my machine anymore. This keeps my machine running faster, and my data is backed up far better than I could do myself at home. It's also accessible from anywhere in case the house burns down and I need to get to stuff. I also never have to worry about transferring data from the old machine to the new when it's time to upgrade. I simply point the new machine to my cloud storage and EVERYTHING is there and ready to go.

You can get a home computer and set up a remote desktop connection, which will let you log into the machine from your IPad and use it as if you were at the desktop (main screen) of the computer. I'm more a Windows and Android guy but I'm sure it can be done with Apple as well. This will make the IPad just a controller for the computer, so you'll have the added permanent storage, plus the better performance of the desktop computer. The key issue is that it will only work that way while you're at home. Once you're away from your home wifi network you will have either no connection or, if you have mobile connectivity with the IPad and set up a VPN connection, it may still work but slower. Let me know if any of that is just gibberish.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top