JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't see this discussed, there is a Password management program called
Last Pass.

If you have this, it has been "acting up" as part of their new upgrade program.

Check their forums for some fixes: "clearing local cache"
seems to be the ticket for many.

If you don't have one of these programs, it might be something to look into.

Do I know my NWFA password. Nope. Never did. The program generated a random password and saved it for me.

I have never had to type it.

This is under Tools / Advanced Tools.
Clear Local Cache.
I also had to Refresh Sites.

upload_2017-10-19_12-36-37.png

While those programs are convenient, I don't trust them one bit. If the program gets corrupted, you're hosed. Then in this day and age nothing is safe from being hacked and exploited. If that's not bad enough, they sell your data that they gather when you sign up or that is glommed from your browser.
Hold on, I need to refresh the tinfoil in my ball cap...

I use notepad and create semirandom long strong passwords and save them elsewhere. If i need a password I only need to look a couple places. But as an example I may use something like:

Y0u4w3b$173suxpl34$3f1x17

Or

1l1k3b3wb13s4NDch33$3

I try to give myself some sort of chance to remember them if I need to. I do not trust password manager programs.

Security is about Pain. Pain for a BG to breach, Pain for you to use.

If you lock your door, pound in nails, tie up an aggressive dog, you get a level of security, but the fur has to be dealt with.

Likewise for passwords.

Do you use the same passwords over and over again, cause you can remember them?
Do you use the same user id's over and over again ? In many cases your email is your user id, which forces that.
But the pain from having to match a random user id and random password is real.

Against most passwords go for length. You don't have to be too cute
"Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was as white as snow1" is better than
"1l1k3b3wb13s4NDch33$3"
because it is longer.

Where i run into problems is with devices, how easy is it to type long passwords, or complex ones on a smart phone? Or, as in my case, on the printer at work. We have to log in - can't see what you have typed and challenging screens to get complex characters.

I do know people who have used non-printable characters, wonder how that works on a phone? Maybe customize a keyboard? atl-255 is such a character.

Gibson is expert on security:

Home of Gibson Research Corporation

GRC | Ultra High Security Password Generator

If you like mkwerx approach, you can put a number of "random" strings from Gibson, or someone else, in a note pad file with line numbers.

Then your password might be something like 23, 3, 8
which would tell you to goto the 23rd line, start at the 3rd character, and take the next 8 characters
Did you start counting like a computer, from 0, or from one? keep it secret.

E42A7BE1B1C1F6AD676ACA3817BCE146A23F5149B19F22E034D1A2614695D0BF
l8es>p}6zdThoZ#-`c\}K^-eb?MB-)]2jB`8ATytFaq0h02\p?L\y]N3H=X_L]n
cmlqB2cWtdHsaK7SMrvtMhB4RS764jM7wl5bHCXJ2XbkvKa3ZWLKfUagieH2Irf
5D568BC15114A8BF0AD4153DDBCD8061ED7A60887DD52AB829A8D73B104B4438
_mtv+wru'L*}*o?>MCxS_V,b#(3PTIO*o5u(N"!=DO),Y?S8(i\JG!]p5*;dx%Y
5nEmZNDZDomf6EPkuLtMOiIbNSUvvkvNd2RmwwsXynOw76GIWk4DhSRCNlgCJVv

Likewise, you can use a poem, story, the Bible and use a similar code
John 11:35 might not be the right choice, tho.
see: Esther 8:9
A poem you might know

51c5hvIKiCL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

The reason length is important is that if you saw Mary had a little, you would guess further, but you never know if that is correct to that many digits. Each digit you add, is a level increase in security. If you just use 2 characters (tho probably cannot) you double the number of guesses for each character added.

Places I get irritated on passwords is when they have to be too simple. Want to access your medical record, or finances and have to use a 4 digit pin? WTH. Why not 6? if you are forcing me to use nothing but numerals.

I use the password manager for 2 purposes. 1, I can cut and paste long passwords and 2, I never have to know the password. I get the risk I am taking - someone getting the password managers info - my account/password, or the whole thing.

How many characters is the password to my phone? I don't know, it is my finger print. Or, is it?

Last Edited:
Technology will bite you in the azz.
If you have anything "smart", it's already too late.

Not pointing fingers. Just stating facts.
Do you own a computer? Cruise the forums, check facebook, check your email, then turn it off? I'm sorry.
The so called "PC Techs" Like people like you ;)

Get off my lawn!!

Everything you need to know about iCloud Keychain

I'll keep my passwords stored on localized devices under encryption that took the FBI how long to break and then the software engineers quickly said "FU" to the .gov and incorporated a better security system in their new iOS just to further hinder the largest bunch of tech people from cracking it.

Not stored on a remote server, stored under an encrypted idevice, on an encrypted drive on the computer.

Best of luck!

I gave up on Last Pass quite some time ago. I manage quite a few various different e mail, websites, social media sites. I generate random passwords, save them to an Excel sheet, dated and print them out, and save them to two different flash drives. Lot of work but it works well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top