JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be going to my first USPSA competition in Albany this Saturday and trying to develop proper technique.

I've been practicing and noticing the way the magazine is placed in the holder. If it's with the bullets pointed forward, then you turn your left hand under to load the pistol. If with the bullets pointed back, you would turn your hand over to load. I'm making the assumption that muscle memory, practicing correctly, and consistency are the keys to performance so wondering which is the better method. Overhand or underhand twist to load?

Thanks

You will find the vast majority of people have the bullets facing your belt buckle. There are people who do it the other way, but if you watch video's of pro's, they all do it this way. It is easier to index the magazine in the same spot each time when you do it with the bullets forward, which leads to consistency.

When you reload, you should drop your off-hand to your mag on your belt, and grasp it with your thumb and middle finger, with your index finger along the magazine with the tip of your index finger ideally on the point of the first bullet in the mag. Then bring your index finger to the front of the empty magwell, get your index finger out of the way, and slam the mag home. Try it with your setup, it will make sense when you try it.

This only describes your off-hand movement. Your gun hand should be activating the mag release as soon as your off-hand is out of the way, then tilting the gun so you can see inside the magwell. Keep the gun high so you can get back on target quickly after the reload, and always try to reload on the move if possible.

The bullet forward method is preferred by all I shoot with. The Power factor Show has good info you might find useful. They do a good job of explaining why competition shooters do what they do. Episode 07 - Reloads (Part 1) - YouTube

Being your first match, I would recommend you focus on the safety rules, range commands and accuracy over speed. Don't forget to note on the stage score sheet "new shooter" next to your name, it is a big benefit. I claimed new shooter at matches until I started receiving threats. I hope the weather holds out for us, see you there.

USPSA requires safety training before competing. ARPC does the live fire part of the training
on (I think) the first Sunday of the month. Did you take the safety course?

To answer your question. Bullets toward the front. Grab the mag with your thumb
and fingers, palm facing back, index finger extended down the front of the mag.

Keep the gun high, pull it back toward your face as you bring the fresh mag up,
rotate the gun clockwise (for a right handed shooter) far enough to see the
opening, "point" the new mag into the hole with that index finger, slam it home with the
heel of your left hand as you re-acquire your grip with your left hand and roll the gun back
to the right.

First match? GO SLOW. REALLY SLOW. BE SAFE. Make sure Mike and Jan at Albany know
you are new.

There's a lot to absorb. Interesting how many questions come up as you actually slow down and think about what your doing. Remembering to re-establish proper grip and stance after reloading is an effort. I'm constantly reminding myself to watch my trigger finger and watch for sweeping as I practice. It's a wonder people have time to actually acquire targets and shoot!

The initial safety training last Saturday was fun and informative. I expect this coming Saturday will be even better. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

There's a lot to absorb.The initial safety training last Saturday was fun and informative. I expect this coming Saturday will be even better. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

The reload, draw, target transition---lots of it can be practice with dry firing at home. Learn how to do it right, then do it slowly---the speed will come with time. Eventually it becomes muscle memory. About 10,000 repetitions later. It's an addictive sport, a lot of fun but frustrating as heck sometimes, and you will meet someof the best people on earth. Be safe and have fun.

Hwere is a good reload. Watch the slo-mo toward the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgdq1FBYTUE

How many rounds to take tomorrow for the competition? I understand that competitors need to supply 6 rounds so that they can get an accurate bullet weight and round velocity. Obviously, all of your ammo needs to be of the same type, brand, weight, etc. Just want to make sure I'm bringing enough of the same kind. 250 rounds sound about right?

BTW, I'll, be one of the NEW SHOOTERS and will be wearing the Submarine Veteran ball cap.

How many rounds to take tomorrow for the competition? I understand that competitors need to supply 6 rounds so that they can get an accurate bullet weight and round velocity. Obviously, all of your ammo needs to be of the same type, brand, weight, etc. Just want to make sure I'm bringing enough of the same kind. 250 rounds sound about right?

BTW, I'll, be one of the NEW SHOOTERS and will be wearing the Submarine Veteran ball cap.

Albany's matches run about 125 rounds, I bring 200. Don't worry about your ammo, they won't likely even test it. I have never have had my ammo checked at local matches. At points matches it gets a little more serious but I still haven't had my ammo checked.

Had a blast! Didn't DQ so calling the competition a success. Penalties and misses sure erase the "two alpha" scores pretty quick :s0112:!

Yup. Slow down and get your hits----the speed will come with time. We have a saying:

"You can't miss fast enough to win."

Come on up to Dundee on the 24th if you have a little turkey overload you need to work off.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top