JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about buying a dash cam for my birthday present to myself.o_O
Any suggestions from those that have one as to what features I should look for
and how/where it should be mounted for the best coverage?

One thing I have read is, "It should not turn off when the ignition is turned off."

I have had several over the years. The instructions are hard to decipher or remember. You have to take your cam to your computer and download the videos. But I have found a simple cam with great video that is sent to my phone via an app. It is an Owl Car Cam (.com). Runs through Android or iPhone. This plugs into the OBM or BMO or whatever which runs off of the battery. They run $349 but the video is superb. Has a forward camera and a rear facing one too.
The mount actually mounts low to the dash by a flat mount that tucks down behind the dash and has a suction cup against the window. Really a simple installation.

Thanks, I'll look into both of these.:)
I like the idea of a low mount that doesn't obstruct your vision and the rear facing camera.
What is the side coverage, like, if someone walks up to your side window?:rolleyes:
Wouldn't you almost have to mount the camera on your head rest?o_O

I like the idea of a low mount that doesn't obstruct your vision and the rear facing camera.
What is the side coverage, like, if someone walks up to your side window?:rolleyes:
Yeah covering the sides is the biggest challenge I have found.

The camera is trapezoid shaped and is mounted as a magnetic ball that sits in a depression on the mount stalk. Since it records in both directions you would need to reach forward and turn it to the left. The screen begins as a split front/back pic but you swipe up or down to create a single look, unless you want to look at yourself all the time. But both are still recording.

I have been thinking about buying a dash cam for my birthday present to myself.o_O

One thing I have read is, "It should not turn off when the ignition is turned off."

Like any of the "tech" it's all in how much do you want to spend. I use the el cheapo ones Amazon always has on sale. Run around $30 or so. As long as they take a 32G card I never care. I run two up front. If one fails the other is working. When one dies I always have another to slap on. They seem to last quite a while. Mine will all run for a few minuets after power is off. In 2 of our vehicles the lighter is always on. So unless we unplug them they will just keep recording in a loop. Now days I use a back up battery to run mine instead of the lighter. Plug the battery in every few days to charge. If I stop at a store I just let the cameras keep rolling. These to me are kind of like a safe for guns. If you do not want to buy the "best" at least buy something. Even a cheap one like mine can save your bacon if something happens. No "he said she said".

I have had several over the years. The instructions are hard to decipher or remember. You have to take your cam to your computer and download the videos. But I have found a simple cam with great video that is sent to my phone via an app. It is an Owl Car Cam (.com). Runs through Android or iPhone. This plugs into the OBM or BMO or whatever which runs off of the battery. They run $349 but the video is superb. Has a forward camera and a rear facing one too.
The mount actually mounts low to the dash by a flat mount that tucks down behind the dash and has a suction cup against the window. Really a simple installation.

That looks like they have come up with a really nice set up there!!!

We have them In all of our trucks .
But here is the deal our company trucks have a camera that films out front and the DRIVER at the same time .
Because when you try to use it in court .
There going to want to see what you where doing at the time of the Accident

I'm not saying don't get one but.
If you get into court.
A lawyer will get it thrown out unless you can prove that you where DRIVEING THE SPEED LIMIT WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHELL AND HAD YOUR GLASSES ON if you need them .
Becare full you could bring evedance into court that can be used against you

I'm not saying don't get one but.
If you get into court.
A lawyer will get it thrown out unless you can prove that you where DRIVEING THE SPEED LIMIT WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHELL AND HAD YOUR GLASSES ON if you need them .
Becare full you could bring evedance into court that can be used against you
I will not get a car cam that uses GPS in it. Nor one that would track your speed. The police can download the content of any camera in use at the time of an accident, and it would be recoverable by the other driver's attorney too. That means that ANYTHING in it can be used, even your driving of 3,5 or even 10 days ago to prove you speed, or drive erratically, or follow too closely, etc. The OBM plug in my cam only uses it for power, nothing else.

Mine has a power drop to about 5% (so they say) that then kicks back up should there be an accident, break in, or vandalism. If someone steals your camera you get their picture sent to your phone before they are aware.

Capiciter based models would be best as heat can kill a kilo based.

I'd recommend one that has notifications for just about most things. IE it tells you if your recording, or not, the memory card is crap or not, etc. worst thing could be something happens and it wasn't even working right and did not record anything.

A screen is nice, but not always important.

Having the ability to upload to your phone is a nice plus. Vs removing a card to download to a pc. I like this as I've heard police confiscate dash cams on occasion, so if your good at it or the camera runs an app. You can back it up to your phone in a jiffy and to your cloud and what not. I'm paranoid, so what!

Some are way better for night driving than others. So if you drive more at night consider it a factor.

Park mode is nice if your worried about vandalism. Won't do you any good if the car gets stolen though.

Some have GPS, which I don't really think is that important, but it tracks your location on the footage.

I would recommend a bendable mount, so you can angle the camera to record both sides of the front. IE, an officer at your window.

I'll try and find the article that helped me a lot when I was looking.

Another thing to research is the laws on recording.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top