JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you want to consider resale value then commander size is probably the way to go. Since it seems they are a little more popular for concealed carry they probably have a slightly higher demand. I don't think the slide/barrel length have as much real impact on concealability as the frame size. An officer's size 1911 would conceal better (IWB) even if it had a full length slide than a full size.

Even though you have a G27 for carry you might find yourself wanting to carry the 1911 every once in a while, or more, if you get a commander size alloy frame model. They are just nice and slim and great for carry it seems.

No good reason to buy either, They are reliable, powerful, but inaccurate beyond 20 feet. Has a pretty good buck, and too many safetys. If your using this for personal protection, safetys are a nuisance, by the time you undo all those, you could be dead!

I'm not sure where you get your information?

If you want to consider resale value then commander size is probably the way to go. Since it seems they are a little more popular for concealed carry they probably have a slightly higher demand. I don't think the slide/barrel length have as much real impact on concealability as the frame size. An officer's size 1911 would conceal better (IWB) even if it had a full length slide than a full size.

Even though you have a G27 for carry you might find yourself wanting to carry the 1911 every once in a while, or more, if you get a commander size alloy frame model. They are just nice and slim and great for carry it seems.
At this point I am pretty sold on the Commander size, although I can see having both eventually.
I was told by a gun store owner that the alloy frame may be a weak point that he has replaced a couple frames due to cracking. I have a friend who swears by the alloy frames for balance and lighter wieght for carry. Any opinions on durability of the alloy frame models?

-Steve

They are made more carry than shooting.

But if you run hard or softball loads thru them, it'll last you many years.

Stay away from +P stuff though, as it wear the frame fast. Fire some rounds thru it to test the reliability of your given carry round, just don't plan on running 100's of them.

They are made more carry than shooting.

But if you run hard or softball loads thru them, it'll last you many years.

Stay away from +P stuff though, as it wear the frame fast. Fire some rounds thru it to test the reliability of your given carry round, just don't plan on running 100's of them.

something to think about when going over the numbers interms of the trade off between carry and range when it comes to weight...steel DW CBOB 34 ounces....aluminum kimber pro carry II 28 ounces...polymer glock 21 26 ounces...polymer glock 30 24 ounces... something to consider is that the 30 gives a full grip with its 10 round magazine (which holds 2 more than most 1911 magazines) but weighs 4 whole ounces less than an aluminum 1911. what's 4 ounces? well what's 6 ounces from an aluminum to a full steel 1911?

Don't get me wrong. the 1911 is a beaut I love them to death, but there is no way in aluminum nor steel, 3", 4.25", nor 5" am I gonna make it my EDC. I carry my glocks or my airweight snubnose about 20x as much as a 1911.

So go big and go for the 5" steel. make it a special day of carry when you strap on the 1911.

something to think about when going over the numbers interms of the trade off between carry and range when it comes to weight...steel DW CBOB 34 ounces....aluminum kimber pro carry II 28 ounces...polymer glock 21 26 ounces...polymer glock 30 24 ounces... something to consider is that the 30 gives a full grip with its 10 round magazine (which holds 2 more than most 1911 magazines) but weighs 4 whole ounces less than an aluminum 1911. what's 4 ounces? well what's 6 ounces from an aluminum to a full steel 1911?

Don't get me wrong. the 1911 is a beaut I love them to death, but there is no way in aluminum nor steel, 3", 4.25", nor 5" am I gonna make it my EDC. I carry my glocks or my airweight snubnose about 20x as much as a 1911.

So go big and go for the 5" steel. make it a special day of carry when you strap on the 1911.

I understand what you are trying to say but the Pro Carry weight is 28 oz with an empty magazine. The Glock weight you listed, 24 (actually 23.99) oz is with NO magazine. The Glock weight is 26.49 oz with an empty 10 rd magazine. Also, with ammo the two extra rounds are 1.52 extra ounces.

Kimber Pro Carry, loaded magazine, 8 rd: 34.08 oz
Glock 30, loaded magazine, 10 rd: 34.09 oz

For choosing between those two I'd recommend using the one you make hits with most the carry choice. In capacity vs. round placement, placement wins.

A full size steel Kimber Custom II is 38 oz with empty magazine or 44.08 oz with loaded magazine. Ten ounces isn't a back breaking difference but would be noticed.

A Stainless Pro Carry HD (stainless slide and frame) is 41.08 oz with a loaded magazine.

I understand what you are trying to say but the Pro Carry weight is 28 oz with an empty magazine. The Glock weight you listed, 24 (actually 23.99) oz is with NO magazine. The Glock weight is 26.49 oz with an empty 10 rd magazine. Also, with ammo the two extra rounds are 1.52 extra ounces.

Kimber Pro Carry, loaded magazine, 8 rd: 34.08 oz
Glock 30, loaded magazine, 10 rd: 34.09 oz

For choosing between those two I'd recommend using the one you make hits with most the carry choice. In capacity vs. round placement, placement wins.

A full size steel Kimber Custom II is 38 oz with empty magazine or 44.08 oz with loaded magazine. Ten ounces isn't a back breaking difference but would be noticed.

A Stainless Pro Carry HD (stainless slide and frame) is 41.08 oz with a loaded magazine.

I might have gotten a couple figures mixed up. But the point is a few less ounces on one big heavy gun vs. a different slighter heavier big heavy gun will still leave him a pegged legged pirate limping cowboy after 8+ hours of carrying in a day.

there's a reason why airweight j-frames are so popular. like u said, its not capacity its placement. but the name of the game is 1911's. and what a 1911 does best is in its steel 5" govt form.

I have a full size and a cco(commander slide, officers frame) size pistol. Both are great and plan on picking up a commander size eventually. CCO size gets carried more lately, the shorter barrel is more comfortable when sitting, but doesn't make a huge difference as far as concealing it is concerned.

As far as alloy is concerned, I sold my alloy officers size after it passed 5,000 rounds and replaced it with an all steel CCO sized. Don't plan on any more alloy frames unless it was full sized. I've learned that I don't like my carry guns to go under 30 oz due to the snappier recoil.

I'm not sure where you get your information?
+2 radkng i trained with 1911's for a while and can tell ya that you will never see me take the safety off of the gun it was done halfway up to target. it's a very natural way to point and aim with your controls exactly where they need to be.
as for not being accurate? no one would want to stand in front of any 1911 at any distance. i shoot out at 50 ft that's all my range has and hit the target every time in the black every time:winkkiss: what else can you ask for.most people who don't train for a stessfull situation will miss with anything they shoot doesn't matter what it is.
my favorite 1911 is a full size but i don't mind a commander. the officers model is a little small for my hands.

I finally bought a 1911! I found a used Kimber Pro CDP II. Looks cool but I want to change the grips to something a little more tactical, but man does this thing shoot! I am impressed with the accuracy which I'm sure has a lot to do with the great trigger. The recoil is actually less than I expected, nothing bad to say yet other than why did I wait so long to buy this thing?

Anybody have input on grips, magazines, or holsters let me know.

-Steve

I finally bought a 1911! I found a used Kimber Pro CDP II. Looks cool but I want to change the grips to something a little more tactical, but man does this thing shoot! I am impressed with the accuracy which I'm sure has a lot to do with the great trigger. The recoil is actually less than I expected, nothing bad to say yet other than why did I wait so long to buy this thing?

-Steve

Holsters are a completely personal choice. I have a Don Hume cheap little leather clip on IWB that I like for my Walther P99. Others rave over Allessi or Milt Sparks, etc. I'm sure I'd be happy with one of those too but I just haven't gotten around to ordering one.

For magazines you will want a magazine with a closed follower rather than the split, shelf type. The split followers have a tendency to dig into aluminum frames.

I like Wilsons. Tripp Research gets good reviews also. Store any Kimber mags you got with it away.

Grips are going to be personal preferance too. I like the soft Kimber rubber grips on my Pro Carry. I also like the slim, smooth, wooden grips I got on an RIA compact.

-Steve

I recommend Chip McCormick mags...especially if you want to get a +1 mag.

For holsters, I recommend Galco Stow-N-Go IWB holsters or if you want something sturdier try their Summer Carry model.

Stow-N-Go
PM40carry.jpg

Summer Carry
Belt2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany