JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I plan to purchase a 1911 style .45 pistol soon. Looking to hear opinions on which version to buy, full size or commander size? I have shot a friends 4.25 barrelled, alloy frame colt and really liked the way it felt. Are there good reasons to buy a 5 inch full size gun instead?

Thanks- Steve

What are you using it for HD, concealed carry? I prefer the 4.25" vice the 5", just personal preference, it was easier to carry vice the 5".

+1 Purely personal preference. I carry a 4 1/4" Commander length, but also own a full size 1911. Prefer the Commander for carry, but would carry the full size pistol if that was all I had.

What are you using it for HD, concealed carry? I prefer the 4.25" vice the 5", just personal preference, it was easier to carry vice the 5".

Mostly home defence and range use, I have a glock 27 for concealed carry.

Is there any advantage of the 5 inch over the 4.25? I'm thinking that the commander size may be the way to go.

Any opinions on steel or alloy frame?

-Steve

I like steel frame for reduced muzzle flip and alloy for carry or all day shooting. There is no right or wrong it's whatever you shoot the best and are most comfortable in shooting. I have various sizes, makes and models of 1911s and they are all good shooters. If you are doing range use I like the longer sight radius of the 5" but then again it depends on the distance you practice at. I have an EMP that I shoot better than anything up to about 30 feet. After that I usually step up to a longer slide.

I carry a commander size iwb and a full size sometimes undershoulder. I seem to enjoy the weight as a reminder that Im carrying. there several 1911 posted in the calssifieds.
(mabe you should look at the sig sauer <-----shameless plug)
No seriously, a 1911 is a personal preference like all firearms. So be sure you try out more than one size, because one size does not fit all.

If it is just for home defense and range the full size will have some small advantages. I personally prefer commander sized though. I think they feel more balanced and I am more accurate with them because of this. :)

I prefer the full size Gov't with 5" barrel. I've used both Government and Commander pistols in training and competition and I get a better result with the Government configuration 1911. Personally, I think the Commander results in greater perceived recoil.

Many longtime, dedicated 1911 shooters don't like deviating from the standard design due to slide mass and slide velocity which does translate into how reliably the pistol cycles. That is not to say a Commander doesn't cycle reliably. However as one chops down the slide and barrel, the design becomes increasingly plagued with cycling issues. Going below 4" generally requires a change in the bushing, barrel, and recoil set up just to make the gun function.

I believe that is an indication that going shorter with the design takes it away from its optimum configuration.

I'm sure you enjoy yours, but no thanks. I'm very happy with the full size versions I have. I do have one Colt Combat Commander that has had a lot of custom work to get it in shape, but I shoot better with the Government style guns I have than the Commander I have. -The only reason I haven't sold the Commander is I doubt I'd be able to recoup the money that's been sunk into it to make it a carry gun.

I prefer the full size Gov't with 5" barrel. I've used both Government and Commander pistols in training and competition and I get a better result with the Government configuration 1911. Personally, I think the Commander results in greater perceived recoil.

Many longtime, dedicated 1911 shooters don't like deviating from the standard design due to slide mass and slide velocity which does translate into how reliably the pistol cycles. That is not to say a Commander doesn't cycle reliably. However as one chops down the slide and barrel, the design becomes increasingly plagued with cycling issues. Going below 4" generally requires a change in the bushing, barrel, and recoil set up just to make the gun function.

I believe that is an indication that going shorter with the design takes it away from its optimum configuration.

Thanks for the reply Outrider, I knew there must be people who feel the full size was the better option I just wasnt sure if it was just tradition and sighting plain of a longer barrel and slide or if there were other issues.

-Steve

No good reason to buy either, They are reliable, powerful, but inaccurate beyond 20 feet. Has a pretty good buck, and too many safetys. If your using this for personal protection, safetys are a nuisance, by the time you undo all those, you could be dead!

Mostly home defence and range use, I have a glock 27 for concealed carry.

Is there any advantage of the 5 inch over the 4.25? I'm thinking that the commander size may be the way to go.

Any opinions on steel or alloy frame?

-Steve

I have a Glock 40, which is black steel with plastic handles. I love it. It's easy to care for, and the most accurate handgun I have ever shot!
It is very finely balanced and dead on the mark at 50 feet!
I used this very gun to go thru my safety class and obtain my carry and conceal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top