JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like I have one of the better frames.

frames and cylinders of the SAA began to be made of materials resembling modern low-medium carbon steel. By SN 180,000 (mid 1898) frames and cylinders were made of medium range carbon steel. By 1900 Colt had improved on their heat treating processes so they factory warrantied the SAA for Smokeless Powder. Shortly after this Colt began stamping the letters VP in an upside down triangle on the front left side of the trigger guard. VP stood for Verified Proof and signified the revolver was safe to fire with Smokeless ammunition. This information comes from Jerry Kuhnhausen's The Colt Single Action Revolvers A Shop Manual, Volumes 1&2, a very authoritative book on the Colt SAA.

Screenshot_20230328_024707_Chrome.jpg

If my great grandson sold one of my guns for $20, I'd be inclined to suddenly resurrect and kill him myself. No doubt it went to an 18 pack or some other nonsense. No shade at you, arakboss, however that's one disrespectful family member right there and another fine example of why I don't want any of my family to get any of my stuff when I die.

If my great grandson sold one of my guns for $20, I'd be inclined to suddenly resurrect and kill him myself. No doubt it went to an 18 pack or some other nonsense. No shade at you, arakboss, however that's one disrespectful family member right there and another fine example of why I don't want any of my family to get any of my stuff when I die.
I think his great grandpappy will be looking down with admiration after I drill and tap it for rmr and an accessory rail.

Thanks, the serial look up section of Colt's website came back with 1923 so it's probably one or the other. Wolf & Klar started selling lots of Colts around 1920 so it all seems to fit together timeline wise.
My book is by R L Wilson, Colt an American Legend. List all the Colts made up until the book was published.

It has 1923 serial numbers ending in 344500
It has 1924 serial numbers ending in 346400

Pretty sure it's made in 1924.

You are right, I didn't read it right. The numbers were the start of the years production, not the end.

Last Edited:
If it turns out to be a really valuable firearm, I may trade it away for an equal value of budget firearms. The condition of the plating is really poor so it's difficult to compare it to other sale prices I have seen. Valuable firearms and my ownership don't really mix well.

These guys can help you on your path, they sure helped me.

If it turns out to be a really valuable firearm, I may trade it away for an equal value of budget firearms. The condition of the plating is really poor so it's difficult to compare it to other sale prices I have seen. Valuable firearms and my ownership don't really mix well.
I have a Colt SAA from 1919 that is in much worse condition than that. It still shoots but looks like it was drug behind a horse. In 2019 it was appraised at $1400 for a new insurance company. It has honest wear and originality on it's side, but yours looks pretty good for a 100 year old survivor. Before you do anything get a good appraisal! DR

I'm NO EXPERT. BUT, But, but.......

1701581482561.png

Awwwww.......Come On Man
Note the photo of the Pat. dates.
Why would a revolver produced in the 1920s have 1970's Pat. dates on it?

1701581326582.png

This photo is of my 2nd Gen SAA.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
That is a gun, I would get a Colt letter.
Wolf & Klar guns have a cult like following.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top