JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I forget who did it, but there was a 1911 pattern pistol that "Improved" upon it using the BHP double action trigger system. it worked, but had reliability issues!
While it's certainly possible to design a double action system for the 1911 series, I argue that its a waste of time and energy, the 1911 is about as close to perfect as one could want, especially with it's superior single action trigger system! I see no real practical gains or improvements by trying to make the 1911 into something else, especially when there are other designs which already exist that accomplish the same goals! Still, it's kind of cool to see where the development could have taken the much beloved 1911 design had it been developed that way, I'm sure J.M. Browning could/would have solved it in his typical manor, made it look so simple and easy, why didn't anyone else figure it out!

I remember the conversion for this. At the time I was not interested but understood why. Back then there was not a lot of choice in the full size .45 and a LOT of people just could not carry "normal", Cond 1. I have lost track of the number of other shooters who cringe when they see my 1911 in a belt slide because they can see the hammer. If someone just can't be confident to carry like this they really should just have something else. So for those who really wanted to carry a 1911 but could not bring themselves to carry the "normal way" the conversion was great. Now days of course there is so many choices for those who need to have no hammer seen or have it down that they can pick a great one they like.

Hmmm, was there ever a kit/fix/part to put on a 1911 to hide the C&L hammer from pantywaistes?

Joe
For a while a guy made a conversion that would cock the pistol when you squeezed it. I got to handle one once and it of course was not for me but was "interesting". Cavelle or something like that? Been a long time. Even with it the hammer had to be at the half cock notch but for most they would not notice that. :s0092:
I long ago just looked at it with a big shrug. The 1911 is certainly not for everyone. Back then there was not a lot of choice though for people who wanted something that was D/A.
I remember one of the first alternatives I really liked was imported by Astra. .45 with a D/A - S/A action that really did impress me. FAIK they are still importing a newer version of them that is still nice. Only real downside to them is the damn mags. Last time I was looking at one the mags cost so much you could buy a cheap gun for what a few extra mags cost. :eek:
Now days there is of course a BUNCH of choices for those who want an auto loader in larger caliber with some other kind of action. People who want to carry need to be totally comfortable with their choice of carry.

But, but,.....................its a GLOCK!!:s0170::s0170::s0140:
Triggered much? Go be a snowflake some other place.

Since you clearly dont know the history of the 1911 being accepted by the army. Some of changes from the 1907 to the 1911 that the army demanded was, external hammer and thumb safety. Many modern firearms, yes glock being the first and most widely accepted, have proven to be irrelevant requirements.

Triggered much? Go be a snowflake some other place.

Since you clearly dont know the history of the 1911 being accepted by the army. Some of changes from the 1907 to the 1911 that the army demanded was, external hammer and thumb safety. Many modern firearms, yes glock being the first and most widely accepted, have proven to be irrelevant requirements.
My humor often does not come through in writing.

Anyone who knows me know I have never been a Glock fan as I have been a 1911 fan all my life. I have said many times though that if I had to run into a gun shop and grab a pistol to fight with that I could not try? I would not run to the 1911 counter, I would grab a Glock. There is a reason they have the market share they do and it's not because they do not work.

Because of this there has from the beginning been a lot of ribbing between Glock owners and 1911 owners. If my house caught fire one of my 1911's would most likely make it out with me. I have long said if they invent a Phaser we can carry I will probably still have a 1911 with me. Even I have long said though they are a very old design and FAR better stuff has been made. I don't claim to be using logic in my choice. It's just blatant favoritism from me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top