JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've recently come across this gun while sorting through some family possessions. The gun appears to be a Colt Pocket Positive with a 2 1/2" barrel. The finish (bluing) appears to be uniform with no blemishes, rust or wear aside from a little bit on the tip of the barrel. The caliber says "32 Police CTG".

Grips are in excellent condition with no cracks.

Serial number is 156,XXX. I believe that this indicates that the gun was produced in 1937 but I may be wrong.

In addition, there is a four digit serial number that is stamped on butt of the gun. This four digit number has not correlation to the factory serial number. It's my understanding that this was originally a Seattle Police Department gun so I'm wondering if this number could be part of the police departments inventory system.

I am looking for any and all information that I can get on this gun including market value and collectability. Your help, insight and comments are appreciated.
thumbnail-13.jpeg thumbnail-17.jpeg thumbnail-12.jpeg

I can't help you but just need to say, what a cool find, and a fantastic little gun to slip in your pocket when you just want a little something extra. I had to pay a good sum for my pre M 36 S&W Chief's Special.

Just a little bit of confusion, my gun has a 2.5 in barrel, not a 2" barrel. In addition, I believe that this is what's considered a "round butt" gun instead of a square butt. Is this what makes it a "pocket positive"?

Just a little bit of confusion, my gun has a 2.5 in barrel, not a 2" barrel. In addition, I believe that this is what's considered a "round butt" gun instead of a square butt. Is this what makes it a "pocket positive"?

Don't ask me! As far as round butt/square butt. Take off the grips and if the back bottom of the grip is rounded it's a round butt. I would guess it is considering the grips are rounded at the back bottom. And I would guess "Pocket positive" was a name given to it because it fit well in a pocket. The S&W "Pre M36" was coined "Chiefs Special" presumably because it was the chiefs back-up gun. And others too, of course. But I believe it's actual designation was M&P, for military and police. I'm open to being corrected, as usual.

I've recently come across this gun while sorting through some family possessions. The gun appears to be a Colt Pocket Positive with a 2 1/2" barrel. The finish (bluing) appears to be uniform with no blemishes, rust or wear aside from a little bit on the tip of the barrel. The caliber says "32 Police CTG".

Grips are in excellent condition with no cracks.

Serial number is 156,XXX. I believe that this indicates that the gun was produced in 1937 but I may be wrong.

In addition, there is a four digit serial number that is stamped on butt of the gun. This four digit number has not correlation to the factory serial number. It's my understanding that this was originally a Seattle Police Department gun so I'm wondering if this number could be part of the police departments inventory system.

I am looking for any and all information that I can get on this gun including market value and collectability. Your help, insight and comments are appreciated.
This model was introduced in 1905 and dropped 1940. Double action available in 32short colt, 32long, 32 colt new police which is interchangable with S&W 22long and short. 6 shot cylinder available in 2, 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5, and 6 inch barrels. 7.5" overall length with 3.5" barrel. rear sight groove milled in topstrap, rounded front. positive lock system, hard rubber grips, blued or nickle. based on new pocket model.
There are first and second issue models defined by july 4 1905 or oct 5 1926 last patent date on barrel. this happened in 1927 (second came out) would also have stippled and matted top strap as second issue.
I can not say what it is worth but finding a buyer that is into that caliber 32long may take some time. The fact that it is a Colt from the time period when hand timing was done and most lock up very well is a plus in my mind. If you were in Oregon I would be interested in it for sure. Kind of reminds me of the small model i frame S&W 32's, probably close in size.

Look up the serial here..... http://proofhouse.com/colt/popo.htm

Thank you for the response and for the web site for looking up the serial number. We may decide to sell, it just depends on the value, how much demand there is, among other things like I have too much stuff already and I'm supposed to be down sizing. That said, don't plan on making any quick decision today! Cheers!