JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a colt cobra from 1962 with factory hammer shroud not long ago, and I have to say, amazing trigger. Double action is pleasant single action is amazing. This is however, clearly not a range toy with its snub nose.

I am not the greatest fan of .38 special in general, but this gun feels something special. What loads would be recommended to shoot out of this little guy? Defensive loads that won't damage it. I have a feeling this one could be a carry favorite as it just feels right.

I recently watched a video of Jerry Miculec talking about using 125s instead of 158s. I am curious what the consensus is for .38 snubbies. Currently it is loaded with critical defense. Any thoughts?

Use 158 gr SWC's loaded to standard pressures.
That old collectible can't stand up to pressures required to drive even the lightest slug fast enough to expand.

I picked up a colt cobra from 1962 with factory hammer shroud not long ago, and I have to say, amazing trigger. Double action is pleasant single action is amazing. This is however, clearly not a range toy with its snub nose.

I am not the greatest fan of .38 special in general, but this gun feels something special. What loads would be recommended to shoot out of this little guy? Defensive loads that won't damage it. I have a feeling this one could be a carry favorite as it just feels right.

I recently watched a video of Jerry Miculec talking about using 125s instead of 158s. I am curious what the consensus is for .38 snubbies. Currently it is loaded with critical defense. Any thoughts?
May want to use the mouse-gun approach with very light bullets and only standard pressures with such a nice revolver. Some .32 & .380 pocket guns carry only FMJ or the Underwood solid copper light-for-caliber "extreme defender" ammo.

Would like a picture of yours :D

May want to use the mouse-gun approach with very light bullets and only standard pressures with such a nice revolver. Some .32 & .380 pocket guns carry only FMJ or the Underwood solid copper light-for-caliber "extreme defender" ammo.

Would like a picture of yours :D
That is what I was getting at. light weight, lighter load might keep pressures down

43650D36-6779-4B22-87DA-A73190258302.jpeg A7DB46CF-B2A8-49D0-9628-7BFB4E8BCC0A.jpeg

IIRC this is an alloy frame? Years ago the one I had loved standard pressure 125 lead. Also discovered a particular steel 4" Diamondback that surprisingly preferred 148 DEWC out to 60'!!!

Last Edited:
IIRC this is an alloy frame? Years ago the one I had loved standard pressure 125 lead. Also discovered a particular steel 4" Diamondback that surprisingly preferred 148 DEWC out to 60'!!!
60'? you use wadcutters out to 50 yards in PPC shooting.. they are very accurate.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top