JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What can you guys tell me about this Colt Bisley in 38 W.C.F. (38-40)? It has no SA prefix or Suffix and the serial number is 298xxx

IMG_20220320_143353__01.jpg IMG_20220320_143452__01.jpg

Yep , a case hardened finish on the frame should be there.

Again a re-finish is not always a deal breaker....for me.
Since I don't know the condition of the firearm before the re-finish or the reasons thereof.

Do I like the firearm...Do I understand what I am actually getting and is the price something that I can live with...
Are more important to me.
Andy

Last Edited:
All good points.
It was an inherited firearm from my grandfather whom received it from his father. Is it possible to have the original finish restored or to return the gun to it's original condition?

All good points.
It was an inherited firearm from my grandfather whom received it from his father. Is it possible to have the original finish restored or to return the gun to it's original condition?
Anything is possible.....given enough time and money. :D

If it were my revolver...I'd leave it as is....Since the re-finish is part of the gun's history.
Enjoy it and shoot it well.
Andy

Is it possible to have the original finish restored or to return the gun to it's original condition?
While this may have been refinished at one time it might have originally been blued.

Not all Colt SA guns had case hardened frames. Some were nickel plated as well and some were sent 'in the white' to custom finishers due to special orders which might have included engraving and gold and silver plating. A letter from Colt may be in order.

Leave it as is and shoot it!

If you wanted it refinished, These are the people to do it.
But I would not . I would enjoy it as Great Grandpa's gun.
I'm not against refinishing guns that are worn or deteriating. But I would not refinish a gun just because it was not the original finish. Each time you buff and refinish you take away some of the metal. And at the end you still have a refinished gun. Thanks for showing it, DR

My luck, I would have spent thousands of dollars to have Turnbull make it look brand new and I would then drop it onto concrete the first time I held it.
I would keep it just the way it is.

As a Colt's collector, you are getting VERY good advice here that I cannot find fault with. The gun is beautiful in its current condition, as Grandpa owned it, and you will realize NO benefit by having it "retro-restored" to it's original manufactured condition. The persons here that advised you of Turnbull toward a restoration (AWAY from when grandpa owned it), are very spot-on toward that corporation, but NOT what you want to do.

Such a restoration cost would gain you nothing toward resale, since any collector would know it had been done.

Keep it. Preserve it as Grandpa owned it. Shoot it. (the .38-40 was obsolete and neglected, now somewhat popular amongst Colt's Single Action shooters).

Beautiful gun. You are privileged and among the very few in this nation that have the chance to revere a piece of American history that their ancestors were a part of.

Please save it. If you knew your Grandfather, he would smile at your having done so.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top