JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, I'm a little bit jealous. My Colt is older and modified some too, but it's sights aren't this good. Mine does shoot to point of aim with the ammo I like to feed it, but these Bo-Mars would be really nice to have.

I had my Colt Mark lV Officers 80 series lowered and flared because it jammed up the spent casings.
Fixed that right up.

You buy a new gun. And do what you want or need to do.

It's 30 years or so later when certain guns become more collectible.
And then only clean and unaltered examples demand top dollar.

Altered guns are just cool shooters. :rolleyes:

It would have been nice to have a crystal ball back in the 80's. :D

Last Edited:
My reasoning for altering the pistol was that I couldn't trust it as a carry piece with it jamming so bad.

colt 80's  Mark lV officers 004.JPG

If you bought it at a store, I think that's a very fair price. Private party sale, that "may" be a little high, but that all depends on what you value in your old Colt.
If you want one to collect, use this one to trade up. The blueing loss really hurts and I believe the ambi safety is an aftermarket add on. And what about those sights?
If you want a shooter, you're set, especially if you shoot left handed. I would check the barrel bushing for cracks if it's a collet type, but wouldn't bother to change it without reason.
I think you should shoot it, and shoot it alot.

Yep. The collet was made for a long time. Only a few failed and there was a reason for it, poor QC. Of course when one did some would of course take pics of it and publish them. Not to mention if someone gets one and wants to replace it, very easy to do or have done. I did not know Colt had started making these again. I guess they finally figured out they were losing a lot of market with the totally unneeded anti lawyer pin block.
To the OP get that sucker to the range! Let us know how it works for you. I suspect you will enjoy. As I said these pistols can become like potato chips. Can't have just one. :D

... Stock recoil spring is 16lb, I personally like a 17 lb because my handloads run a little warm, :eek:@900fps w/230gr. YMMV. Brownells or Midway carry a variety of recoil etc springs. Good luck, enjoy!
A very good advise, and I suggest shock buffers if you are planning to use hot rounds for self defense. Spring replacement is very essential to maintain 1911 for a long term use. You already paid for it. No worry about the value unless you are planning to sell it now. Just enjoy it and have a fun life with it :)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top