Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Colt 1911 MKIV

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Pistols' started by Aispuro, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Aispuro

Aispuro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hello just purchased this 1911 about an hour ago ,paid $999 did i pay too much ? What are your thoughts?

20170110_172432.jpg 20170110_172443.jpg

Sgt Nambu, orygun and Alexx1401 like this.
  2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Does this have a collet barrel bushing, or a standard solid type?

Aispuro likes this.
  3. Aispuro

Ill have to check an ill get back to you. Whats that indicate if you dont mind me asking

4. Alexx1401

Alexx1401 Pierce County WA Well-Known Member

Have not seen one of those in a long while. As to price are you happy? If so who cares? Those have a certain amount of "collector" appeal if that is all factory. When you shoot it see how you like it. Does it still have a "light" recoil spring in it? If so and you are not planing on using low powered "target" loads I would swap that out first. Let us know how it shoots.

Aispuro likes this.
  5. Alexx1401

I take it you mean the question about the Collet bushing" ? If so in the 70 series Colt tried going to a bushing that had 3 "fingers" and the barrel was a slight bell. The idea was to make the bushing to barrel tighter without fitting one. When they hit some were not heat treated right and would break in use. Gave them a bad name. Easy to replace is it still is and you wish too.

Aispuro likes this.
  6. jbett98

You need to know how a 70's series collet bushings works in relation to the barrel.
    Most folks try and remove the collet off the barrel and mess them up.
    Read this thread about the proper way to take down your pistol.
    It looks like some work was done to the pistol and they might have changed the barrel and bushing already.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...shing/&usg=AFQjCNFHl2BlJqp_63QNuBkVcVgDAExI_A

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfs67phrnRAhVJhlQKHQAmACoQFggaMAA&url=https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=273149&usg=AFQjCNGGLFeFzRUXOP-iQ_N5H09jwTufDQ

Aispuro and Alexx1401 like this.
  7. Aispuro

Yes im happy with it i got it on trade an some cash , hopefully the bushing is already swaped out then. Ill have to check on the spring i guess i didnt do much research befor buyin.

Alexx1401 likes this.
  8. jbett98

Is this your first 1911?

9. Aispuro

Thanks for the link ill definitely check it out befor taken it down .

10. Aispuro

Would anyone happen to know the year i cant figure it out the serial number is 85653B70

11. Aispuro

I have a 1991 Colt comander 1911 style but i would think this one is the real deal as far as 1911 goes

12. Alexx1401

As long as it works you will be fine. If not it's most likely simple fixes. If the extra stuff was not done factory then it's just a matter of who did it and how well. Only way to know will be to shoot it. Let us know how it performs when you get to punch some papers with it.

Aispuro likes this.
  13. Alexx1401

Your Comander is a 1911. Only difference is the slightly shorter version. So sounds like you've caught the very contagious 1911 bug. You now have 2 and they tend to make you buy more.:D

14. jbett98

S/N 72990B70 to 99999B70 - 1981 -

15. Aispuro

Thanks for that, couldn't figure it out, the guy at the pawn siad a 70's but wasnt sure .

16. jbett98

The 70 series was first introduced in 1971, hence the 70 designation, but it was still in production until the early 80's when the firing pin safety was introduced and the detested 80 series started.

Alexx1401 and orygun like this.
  17. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

orygun likes this.
  18. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you bought it at a store, I think that's a very fair price. Private party sale, that "may" be a little high, but that all depends on what you value in your old Colt.
    If you want one to collect, use this one to trade up. The blueing loss really hurts and I believe the ambi safety is an aftermarket add on. And what about those sights?
    If you want a shooter, you're set, especially if you shoot left handed. I would check the barrel bushing for cracks if it's a collet type, but wouldn't bother to change it without reason.
    I think you should shoot it, and shoot it alot.

Alexx1401 and Medic! like this.
  19. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

While I don't know all configurations.
    I don't remember 70's having such a low ejection port?

The national match did have a factory lowered ejection port. But it was also flared.

orygun likes this.
  20. jbett98

But not with the collet bushing.

Medic! likes this.