JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a lefty, so I don't know if I would prefer the side charge or not. A LRBHO would have been perfect. But AK mags and all probably makes it not a viable option.

Oh well. I just wanted to make a thread about guns, not politics. Novel idea it seems these days.
They make it non-viable... Look at AR mags, they have a lip in the back specifically for the BHO feature. The PSL was also designed to have a BHO feature, and their mags also have that extra lip in the back... BHO AK mags only hold the bolt open while the mag is inserted. Once removed, the bolt slams shut.

For a lefty, a right side charging handle would have been better as far as charging it goes.

Last Edited:
Ask @bilge pump about it... He has one I think. Though he's currently looking for sights and an optic I think.

I prefer an AK myself, all about combloc goodness (and don't ask how much I appreciate the side rail unless you want an essay), but the M10X is leagues ahead of the CMMG mutant. The M10X fills different niche market, one that would be more applicable to your situation.

I did mention the M10X earlier too so... o_O

Another option is the Galil Ace, but that makes zenit furniture look cheap... Either one would be better than the mutant. But with the M10X I think you can switch the side the charging handle is on.

I saw the meltdown videos fully now... Looks like the Mutant no like drum magazines. o_O

The vepr's handguards caught on fire, so instead of heat dissipating it stayed more constant which lead to an earlier downfall. With a metal handguard it would have likely lasted a bit longer. I say metal, because even with the heatshield in the polymer handguards, the polymer would still melt. Which probably wouldn't do anything significant but... Who knows.

I saw the meltdown videos fully now... Looks like the Mutant no like drum magazines. o_O

The vepr's handguards caught on fire, so instead of heat dissipating it stayed more constant which lead to an earlier downfall. With a metal handguard it would have likely lasted a bit longer. I say metal, because even with the heatshield in the polymer handguards, the polymer would still melt. Which probably wouldn't do anything significant but... Who knows.

Yeah, the drums were a no go. But 400 rounds past any of the AR's and AK's tells me it a good rifle. Replace that tube and I'm sure it would keep on chugging. :)

Yeah, the drums were a no go. But 400 rounds past any of the AR's and AK's tells me it a good rifle. Replace that tube and I'm sure it would keep on chugging. :)
Context though, the AK's wood handguard did catch on fire. So with metal it might have gone a bit more.

But if you really want that as a standard of a good rifle... The AUG will keep chugging until the barrel literally bulges from heat... And the AUG uses a heavy barrel CHF barrel. :eek:

Yes, but I was looking for an AR type rifle in 7.62x39mm. Thought the mutant might be an ideal option....

It would have been if they had a side charging upper... Like I said, the M10X would be more ideal from the ergonomic standpoint. If all the mutant has over the AK is a thumb safety, while the M10X has a charging handle that can be switched to the other side and thumb safety, then there's really no point to go with the mutant.

Ok, so I thought about that. Side charge vs. charge handle. What is REALLY the big advantage. You have to go through the same motions pretty much. They both have to be pulled rearward and released to charge the weapon......

Ok, so I thought about that. Side charge vs. charge handle. What is REALLY the big advantage. You have to go through the same motions pretty much. They both have to be pulled rearward and released to charge the weapon......
As they say in real estate, location location location. The charging handle in the rear is inconvenient as you have no choice BUT to move the gun away from you to chamber a round. Whereas on the side charger you can keep it closer to reload. In addition to that, the motions are not pretty much the same. A charging handle in the rear is a different motion than just using the charging handle that's on the side.

If you shoot left handed, your right hand is the support. Your right hand is right there to charge the handle after you put a mag in. Vice versa for the right handed people. When its in the rear, you put a mag in then put your hand back. Not only does this take more time, but its extra motion. As in, more inconvenient. If the prices will be similar, why go with less convenience when you can go with more convenience, and have the picatinny rails, and have the thumb safety?

I've had both side charging rifles and an AR. If it wasn't for the bolt release, I would have gotten tired of the charging handle fast. If that matters.

Last Edited:
Thought I would chime in....

I have a pistol AKS8 with the Krink muzzle device and absolutely love shooting it. It eats all ammo and loves polymer mags. It doesn't like steel mags and assuming it won't like the drums either.
I'm waiting for my Dead Air suppressor to get out of jail so interested to see how that performs without an adjustable gas system. I have never had a failure with that firearm. I put an Eotech on top and it is relentless from 100 yards. I also have the shockwave brace and thinking about adding a law tactical folder so I can maybe keep it as a truck gun or backpack gun since 7.62 is easy and cheap to come by.
The recoil is manageable on follow up shots and it feels just as good if not better than shooting my PAP92. I also have a couple of Arsenals and can totally tell the difference in the way the gun shoots hence the difference in the operating systems.
My only gripe would be the scarcity or actually non existence of aftermarket parts for the mutant especially an oversized and/or ambitextrious charging handle since it is not mil spec.
If you can get a good deal, which is what I got, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. I'm actually waiting for the right opportunity to get the 13" version. I saw that video as well and was very impressed. Hope this helps and good luck.

assuming it won't like the drums either.
It doesn't, none of the drums worked on the CMMG mutant in that video. With the vepr, the vepr at least took everything until it got way to hot (notice how the wood caught on fire, vs the mutant which didn't have anything that could catch on fire?).

Tbh my gripe is you can't go just get a side charging upper and use that. There's a reason why guns that don't have a BHO never had a CH that far back... Far forward, in one case, but not far back.

I'd get the M10X if it wasn't for the fact that it doesn't really offer me anything.

But if I had to choose between this and the mutant, I'd just go with the M10X.

As they say in real estate, location location location. The charging handle in the rear is inconvenient as you have no choice BUT to move the gun away from you to chamber a round. Whereas on the side charger you can keep it closer to reload.

This.

And it just plain feels weird rocking in an AK mag and then performing what in my eyes is a AR15 malfunction clearing technique to charge it.

When I shoot ARs and perform reloads, I never touch the charging handle. It's purpose is to initially charge the weapon, and assist in clearing malfunctions.

Just an opinion though, you may be good at the palming technique and could utilize this to charge the gun after each magazine.

Another plus for side charging... Palming it is faster and more convenient. Like I said, if it wasn't for the fact that neither rifle does anything for me (as in they don't offer anything I need) I'd at least go with the M10X.