JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend had one for a while. Its a fun way to shoot 7.62x39 using AK mags instead of AR mags.

But he ended up just getting rid of it and is looking at an AK now instead. Tbh, it felt like a rifle that only made sense if you had an AK and a lot of AK mags.

Ok, but I wasn't asking about an AK. I've owned a couple. The ergos aren't really my thing.....

I know, its just the rifle doesn't make much sense if you don't already have an AK.

As for ergos, you only really get the safety. Sure there's handguards, but there's also long handguards for the AK as well.

The mutant does not have a BHO, so you have to pull the charging handle. Might as well just live with the downsides of the AK, or get the M10X.

I know, its just the rifle doesn't make much sense if you don't already have an AK.

As for ergos, you only really get the safety. Sure there's handguards, but there's also long handguards for the AK as well.

The mutant does not have a BHO, so you have to pull the charging handle. Might as well just live with the downsides of the AK, or get the M10X.

Again Bobo, I don't want an AK....

I GET that you don't (you only needed to say it once). I'm saying the whole point of he CMMG mutant is that niche, where a person has an AK with a lot of mags and wants another rifle that uses AK mags.

Other than that, its just an expensive AR that requires getting other mags. The only thing it has over the AK is that it has a thumb safety. There's no BHO, unless you use Yugo or Croatian BHO mags. But once you take the BHO mag out, the bolt is released.

I've shot the pistol variant.

Was tons of fun.

It felt AR15 like.

Weighed AR10 like.

I guess AKs are heavy so it makes sense.

If I were to add the 7.62x39 back to my caliber list I would consider it a contender.

The bolt is the best part of the rifle. It is freaking huge. Compared to a milled 556 bolt, it should never break. Like the AR15 bolts can chambered in 7.62x39.

My only complaint is there is no bolt hold open as AK mags are not made for such a thing. Kind of defeats the point for me to have the AR since that's what an AR does. Combine that with a charging handle, it kind of sucked for reloads compared to an AK. With an AK you swipe the empty, rock the new one in, and come under to cycle the charging handle. I know this. I've done it many times when I shot and owned AKs. Having to do the swipe, rock, then come back and grab an AR charging handle felt stupid.

Just my thoughts on it.

Hope it helps.

I GET that you don't (you only needed to say it once). I'm saying the whole point of he CMMG mutant is that niche, where a person has an AK with a lot of mags and wants another rifle that uses AK mags.

Other than that, its just an expensive AR that requires getting other mags. The only thing it has over the AK is that it has a thumb safety. There's no BHO, unless you use Yugo or Croatian BHO mags. But once you take the BHO mag out, the bolt is released.

Well if I only needed to say it once, why did you keep suggesting it? o_O

I didn't make this thread to argue, nor did I make it for people to suggest I get an AK. I asked about a SPECIFIC firearm and anyone that has had experience with it. Is that ok, or should I still just buy an AK? :rolleyes:

I've shot the pistol variant.

Was tons of fun.

It felt AR15 like.

Weighed AR10 like.

I guess AKs are heavy so it makes sense.

If I were to add the 7.62x39 back to my caliber list I would consider it a contender.

The bolt is the best part of the rifle. It is freaking huge. Compared to a milled 556 bolt, it should never break. Like the AR15 bolts can chambered in 7.62x39.

My only complaint is there is no bolt hold open as AK mags are not made for such a thing. Kind of defeats the point for me to have the AR since that's what an AR does. Combine that with a charging handle, it kind of sucked for reloads compared to an AK. With an AK you swipe the empty, rock the new one in, and come under to cycle the charging handle. I know this. I've done it many times when I shot and owned AKs. Having to do the swipe, rock, then come back and grab an AR charging handle felt stupid.

Just my thoughts on it.

Hope it helps.

It does, thanks man. :)

I always contemplate getting back into 7.62x39 since it can be purchased for so cheap.

I'd likely go with an SKS if I did though. Internal mag nostalgia, and it was my first semi back in the day.

Well if I only needed to say it once, why did you keep suggesting it? o_O

I didn't make this thread to argue, nor did I make it for people to suggest I get an AK. I asked about a SPECIFIC firearm and anyone that has had experience with it. Is that ok, or should I still just buy an AK? :rolleyes:
picard-facepalm.jpg
You missed my point.

Do I need to mention why it doesn't make sense when it fills a niche that wouldn't matter to someone who didn't already have an AK and a bunch of mags again? Or will that be read as a suggestion again? :rolleyes:

View attachment 477438
You missed my point.

Do I need to mention why it doesn't make sense when it fills a niche that wouldn't matter to someone who didn't already have an AK and a bunch of mags again? Or will that be read as a suggestion again? :rolleyes:

OK, here's more...

I like the AR platform. I like that optics are way easier to mount and use on an AR. I also thought maybe having an "AR" in 5.56 and one that takes AK mags would cover nicely if SHTF. You could grab either off the sheep or bad guys and be GTG.

OK, here's more...

I like the AR platform. I like that optics are way easier to mount and use on an AR. I also thought maybe having an "AR" in 5.56 and one that takes AK mags would cover nicely if SHTF. You could grab either off the sheep or bad guys and be GTG.
And... M10x would make more sense than the mutant. An AK with siderail would also make more sense. If it was just an ease of mounting an optic thing.

If they didn't manage to make it LESS ergonomic by forcing you to require the standard AR charging handle and had a side charging handle instead, it would have done more than fill a specific niche for those with an AK and a bunch of mags. My friend only kept it for a short period of time... Both of us grew tired of it on the long range day we had with it because of the charging handle. For more context: This was when I PREFERRED the AR over the AK.

If you already have a .300 BLK, and don't have an AK with a bunch of mags already, then you'd be better off by taking that one grand or so and spending that on more ammo instead.

My biggest issue with the mutant is that they really screwed the pooch with the charging handle... They managed to take an AR and make me prefer the ergonomics of an AK with enhanced lever... Back when I didn't like AKs.

They really should have made the upper a side charging one. Because you can't just take a side charging upper and put it on the lower.

I'm a lefty, so I don't know if I would prefer the side charge or not. A LRBHO would have been perfect. But AK mags and all probably makes it not a viable option.

Oh well. I just wanted to make a thread about guns, not politics. Novel idea it seems these days.