JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a CMMG 9mm Rifle today, I have done the Tactical Matches at Tri-county a few times which needs a PCR, I feel in love with them. I started with a JR Carbine, loved it, no issues but sold it to move into my Kriss Vector. I love it, its just purely awesome, but I miss shooting cheap 9MM and I have a lot of it, so the chance came along to grab this rifle which i have read great things about, but was wondering if any of our group had any real world reviews? Seems like a great gun so far, can't wait to get a few down the pipe

I had one of these and generally liked it. It ran reliably with any ammo I tried and it shot accurately but it did have a few downsides, one of which I really couldn't quite get past. Mainly I am referring to the weight, I thought it was surprisingly heavy for it was. Not that it was truly heavy; I didn't weigh it but it felt like it weighed more than many 5.56 AR's or even some AK's. I guess my thinking was if it's gonna be the same size and weight, may as well go for the more powerful cartridge, especially since steel-cased .223 or 7.62x39 ammo is relatively affordable. Ultimately I sold it and ended up getting a Beretta CX-4 Storm as my 9mm carbine. Sure, it's less attractive, contains more polymer, but is surprisingly solid, perfectly reliable, accurate, ambidextrous, very lightweight, and more affordable.

I had one of these and generally liked it. It ran reliably with any ammo I tried and it shot accurately but it did have a few downsides, one of which I really couldn't quite get past. Mainly I am referring to the weight, I thought it was surprisingly heavy for it was. Not that it was truly heavy; I didn't weigh it but it felt like it weighed more than many 5.56 AR's or even some AK's. I guess my thinking was if it's gonna be the same size and weight, may as well go for the more powerful cartridge, especially since steel-cased .223 or 7.62x39 ammo is relatively affordable. Ultimately I sold it and ended up getting a Beretta CX-4 Storm as my 9mm carbine. Sure, it's less attractive, contains more polymer, but is surprisingly solid, perfectly reliable, accurate, ambidextrous, very lightweight, and more affordable.
The CX-4 is a great platform, i shot a tactical 3 gun match and a guy had one with an eotech mounted, the only and i mean only thing i don't like is the fixed sight wells and the location of the mag well, so thats 2 things, but its a Beretta and right out of the box, its an awesome gun. I took mine to the range on Thursday and ran about 60 rounds, its good, i put a magpul moe grip/hand guard and k grip on it and its great. I just weighted my AR and it and its actually about 6 ounce lighter than my AR, but I could see it if you have a quad rail or something like that one it. The buffer is a little loud but whatev, i am going to finish it with a MFT miminalist stock, that will continue to lightnen it up. Good info, thanks for the reply

Yeah it's definitely a matter of preference, I certainly can't objectively claim the Beretta is better than the CMMG, it just fits my preferences better. I think most 9mm carbines are objectively pretty lousy though!

I'm still holding out for the perfect 9mm carbine. I've owned a CX4. Went down the Sierra papa modding route, sold it. Almost jumped on a TNW ASR. I really want a Glock mag, AR parts, carbine. Just not up to putting one together myself. I'll probably end up having to scratch build it though to get all the boxes checked off.

Other than than OP you should have plenty of fun with it. I secretly miss my CX4! Too much fun in a little 9mm.

The Vityaz looks fun. Though I dont think it will ever get imported

stEjOAN.jpg

Yeah it's definitely a matter of preference, I certainly can't objectively claim the Beretta is better than the CMMG, it just fits my preferences better. I think most 9mm carbines are objectively pretty lousy though!

I think the blow back in a carbine is the issue, I would love to see someone actually build something solid. My Vector just keeps getting better, my first mag of 25 was lousy, then, its getting so much better. No issues since my first outing and a good lube job on the tracks makes it better. To be honest, i like the idea of the CMMG running cheap SMG mags. 25-32 per mag is not bad.

I think the blow back in a carbine is the issue, I would love to see someone actually build something solid...

True. I think the inherent simplicity of a straight blowback carbine allows for a lot of makers like TNW (among others) to come out with badly executed variations on the idea. As a result you often hear about things such as sub-par construction quality and materials resulting in things like broken firing pins and so forth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top