JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, I normally go up Memaloose to shoot, but don't have any kind of car that can make it up the road this time of year. Also, I'm tired of having to drive for an hour just to be able to shoot a few rounds, and can't afford to join a gun club right now (maybe I should have bought a membership instead of another gun...).

Does anybody know of a spot just outside city limits where I can get just 10-20 yards for some plinking? Nothing fancy, just needs a backstop and to be technically outside city limits. Gas prices plus ammo are getting to be kind of steep, and I'm not picky either.

Any help is appreciated.

Jordan

I just recently went there with a buddy and it's tits! I def recommend the english pit, It's my new favorite official range spot. Only $15 all day, you can leave and come back, and it has a dedicated pistol range next to the .22 range, and a 50y and 100y rifle lanes.

I am also looking for a legal Outdoor spot close to Portland. Preferably on the East side.

English pit may be great, but not looking to pay.

I am looking for about the same thing as the OP is. If anyone knows a good spot, let us know please!

if u guys dont mind driving up by larch correctional in hockinson...there is a rock pit up there i shoot at when our departments range isnt open. if u come to the last intersection to head to larch correction there is a road that heads east up and turns into a gravel road...when u get to the top u will see a rock pit on the left. if there are any forest guys patrolling, some will say u can only shoot paper targets and clays (trying to keep down on the junk from peoples garages they bring up to shoot and leave there). perfect plinking spot, just bring ur targets and shoot.

they raised their rates . I think it is now about $17.

I have been over a couple of times. Better than going out to the coast range

Check calender on web site - they also do LE training there during the week

I really like TCGC; the member initiation is long-winded and, well, long, but it's worth the price of admission. If you go to the pit x10, then the gun club membership will have paid for itself. Just another option (paid). But yeah, let's hear some more 'free' outdoor areas...

I just join TCGC the other day.
Using English Pit was fine if you are going to use one couple times per year.
I hope they continue ther operations.

However, as gas has gone up, and I am only 10 mi from TCGC I finally joined.
Means I can go over for 1-2 hours of shooting vs driving 1-2 hours.
I believe It pays for itself in about 7 trips vs driving to English Pit.

I believe there are others on the east and south east side of town.

Yes - the orientation is very long - but I understand their logic.

I've been to English Pit once and liked it. It was well organized and the RO not only was a nice guy but offered some suggestions that helped my accuracy (not pushy at all, just made an observation and offered a suggestion). I'll most likely go back again.

I've also though about TCGC but the $300 up front is hard to swallow. I don't go to the range enough to make it worthwhile at this point. Maybe if I spent the money I would go more often, but really , it's not the $17 gate fee that keeps me from shooting more often so I doubt it.

I used to go to The Pit as far back as the early 80s. In the early 2000s, they still had annual member fees that were hella low. Since it went private, I haven't been there again. No more annual memberships, which is super lame. I want a place I can go all the time, especially in the morning when I work swing shift. I've been to Clark Rifles once, and it's facilities are awesome...but membership spots NEVER open up. Seriously, I've been waiting 3 years to become a member and it just isn't possible. Every time I contact them they say the same thing, 'if any members don't renew, we'll fill their spots with new members...' To bad no one EVER leaves. :( IMO they need to get their bubblegum together on memberships. It'd be easy to sell some 1-day-of-the-week memberships that would keep over-population well under control, but nooooo. At this point, I'd like to just find a place in the boonies.

You fellas really should check out Wolverton Mt. gun club,about 25 minutes East of Woodland,Wa. They are open to the public one sunday a month. 5 dollar range fee for non members.It has been my home club for over 15 years,I really like it,...except for the drive,but it's geeting harder and harder to just 'go shoot' any more.
the last 3 public days the place was a ghost town,I had it all to myself.
3 covered ranges...pistol, , 50 yard,and 135 yard. covered shooting houses,wood stove.

I'd be glad to meet anyone who wants to shoot there,we could meet at the intersection of the Lewisville hiway and the road to Cougar..used to be a reastaurant there..Jacks'.
I'm semi-retired right now so weekdays are easy for me too.

memberships are easy,quarterly payments possible I believe. Any day the range is not allocated,just go in and shoot,and pick up after yourself. NO junk please.

June 17th is next open day,but this Sunday we are having a work day if u want to just come see the place. You can get there by going up thru Battle Ground,or going East frm Woodland.

there is a cowboy shoot tomrrow,u can come watch and see the range tomorrow if u'd like.

sorry to sound like an advertisement,but i"d like to see us grow,and see the range used more

100ydhousewithnewbaffles.jpg

^^^ rifle range, 135 yds.

JeffandtheWinchester357TrailsEnd.jpg

Kenjo,thought the info was online,but no,so have email in to club Secretary.Shold have an answer this evening.
the buy-in can be spread out to make it easier,and I think the yearly dues are 75.00,but I'll find out for sure.
Mike

just found a facebook page,joining the page is immediate.Some posts are oold but nice pics on there,and contact info.

i've been trying to get ahold of someone from your range for a couple days now but no reply. i emailed whom ever the contact person was. i'd like to know what the yearly membership is and if i could come check out the range sometime during the week (i work weekends).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top