JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never even shot an AK, but have owned and shot 2 SKS rifles. My only complaint with the SKS is length of pull, or rather, lack of. The stock is pretty darn short and puts the thumb of my firing hand right in my face.
Both I owned were 100% reliable and were accurate enough for their intended use.
SKS stripper clips are readily available and they charge quickly. Maybe not as quickly as swapping a 30 round mag, but fast enough to be acceptable.

SKS's are good guns but I see too many people fall prey to "SKS math."

They can't quite afford an AK, so they buy a $350 SKS instead. As more funds become available, they "upgrade" it with "tactical" aftermarket stocks, 30-round duckbill mags, clamp-on bipods, dust-cover or gas-block scope mounts, and el-cheapo NCstar scopes. Because we all know that real "operators" use SKS's for "tactical" missions.

Then they find out the hard way that those 30-round duckbill mags constantly jam, the clamp-on bipods wobble, and that scopes mounted on dust covers or gas blocks will never hold zero and must be removed in order to clean the gun.

So they put the gun up for sale and learn a hard lesson in "SKS math", which is that if you take an SKS that is worth $350 and add $200 worth of "tactical" accessories to it, you now have an SKS that is worth....about $300. And the value drops to $250 if you cant find the original 10 round magazine.

I agree with soberup's "SKS math" analogy. I've seen a bunch of them that someone was trying to do with it what it wasn't designed for. I can understand finding out a way to add length of pull, but everything else screams "Bubba"!

A couple months ago there was a new member who posted a classified ad for one of the most hideously Bubba'd SKS's that I have ever seen. It was an abomination, even by SKS bubba standards, with a scope mount that "needed work" to install, a vertical foregrip/monopod thingie, and a collection of assorted "tactical" parts thrown in. Utterly hideous. He wanted $900 for it. I suspect his lesson in "SKS math" was a rather harsh one.

Last Edited:
lol, 'SKS math'

I think Bubba isn't doing that math as often as the SKS's aren't $80 anymore. Not to mention there are plenty of 'Bubba'd' examples out there to purchase so ruining a perfectly stock example which usually demands more $$$ is not likely. I too see the prices for SKS to continue to climb. Anyone have a Russian with laminated stock they're willing to part with for cheep? :s0139:

Just the fact anyone would even consider putting a $900 price on a SKS is pretty telling of the madness involved.

I remember that SKS and shaking my head at the time.

To be fair it's not exclusively a SKS phenomenon. I have seen plenty of ridiculously accesorized Glocks, AR's and what not. Maybe the worst one are "Tactical" 10/22's? I mean how many $500-$700 10/22's have you seen with not a single accessory you would appreciate and see as adding value? Your $150 AR wannabe stock and rubberized optic with both a laser AND a RMR plus a flashlight with pressure switch and 13 Butler Creek 30 rd mags. All junk any sane person would immediately strip off and throw in the corner never to be used again

I wouldn't let my Norenco SKS go for less than $650 but that's with the pristine stock and an aftermarket Tapco stock everything and all matching numbers.

It's a 1964 from the original factory 26 all Mill no stamped parts.

Maybe I'm crazy but that's what it's worth to me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads