JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dad had a Colt Woodsman when I was growing up. I inherited a Browning Medalist from my uncle around 1965. Somehow they both got away from me over the years. I finally settled on a Ruger MkII stainless slabside. Never shot a more accurate pistol. Traded it for a Ruger R1S 1911 and then went out and bought a single six. I had lusted after a Ruger single six for 50 years and finally scratched that itch.

RugerMKIIIb.jpg GunInv2021Rugerss22-2.jpg

Spitpatch,

Would you know if the S&W Model 41 is based on the Colt Woodsman Match Target?
They always looked nearly the same to me.
Great stories btw. Thanks for posting them.
Since I dirtied up a pile of guns here, it was incumbent upon me to dismantle them and clean thoroughly, and (re-) familiarize myself with the guts.

Your question I cannot answer, though having shot a Smith 41, it is the vacant stall in my stable here. BUT: your question made me recall (in the process of dismantling all these in a relatively short time frame) that the Woodsman shares the HI-Standard HD method of recoil spring retention for take-down.

Screw it up and Brother, YOUGOTTAPROBLEM.

Last Edited:
Greetings, Sportsfans.

An "Extra Bonus Feature" was promised, and as is often the case, it is only a re-run.

In the second round of two groups (and as ALL here who guessed from experience), that pesky Ruger did something like this for both of its last chances:

1653102902967.jpeg

The one dead-center at 12 o'clock is actually two.

So, what does all this prove? I instantly fall back on my disclaimers of any level of scientific procedure. However...

A Theorem going in was that I am a Piss-Poor Pistol Shot. This Theorem rang true, and remains unchallenged.

A Hypothesis was that the Smith revolver, with its long sighing radius and impeccable reputation and fine trigger might sweep the field against autos. Not with this ammo, anyway.

A Speculation that the Nomad did not belong in this league of examination was proven entirely false. The little gun held its own, and the award for best trigger is significant.

The best Hypothesis proven true was that should a snowy evening in Silver Lake, Oregon present itself again with an attractive stretch of Juniper rimrock, healthy winter Cottontails might be braving the sub-zero temperature, venturing out in the cover of twilight for a morsel in windless cold.

And any one of these guns can do a head-shot at 25 yards.

Since I dirtied up a pile of guns here, it was incumbent upon me to dismantle them and clean thoroughly, and (re-) familiarize myself with the guts.

Your question I cannot answer, though having shot a Smith 41, it is the vacant stall in my stable here. BUT: your question made me recall (in the process of dismantling all these in a relatively short time frame) that the Woodsman shares the HI-Standard HD method of recoil spring retention for take-down.

Screw it up and Brother, YOUGOTTAPROBLEM.
There has been quite a few ways of correcting the problem over the years. Up to and including guys milling off the slide and replacing it. There is a neat trick with a piece of wire that usually can undo the problem.