JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just wondering if someone on here could give me a brief idea of whats involved as far as paper work, and fees and anything else involved in getting a class 3 license? What kind of wait time? Class 3 is needed for full auto correct? Any help is appreciated

Do you want a Class 3 license or do you just want to be able to buy NFA items? They are very different things, one is a business and one is personal.

For Class 3 dealer you need to have your 01 FFL meaning store front, then you can apply for your SOT which IIRC is $500/year and more requirements.

If you want to buy an item then you have to find one for sale. Then you pay for the item. If it is local you fill out your Form 4 (similar to a 4473) and supporting documentation and send it off with a $200 check to the ATF. If it is from out of state then you follow the same steps but it has to be sent to a local SOT first.

Here is some more NFA info, GunBroker.com Message Forums - Basic NFA FAQ (update 4-6-11)

Unless you become a manufacturer and pay for your SOT, you will not be legally building an MP5. You could buy an MP5 but your looking at a price of maybe $17000 plus. that's a lot to pay to go out and shoot Full Auto. That being said, the value of them does generally go up as time goes on so you shouldn't lose a bunch of money.

Ryan

He could build one out of a part kit, including rolling a receiver. Do a form 1 and build a SBR. Then buy a transferable sear and put in for full auto. This, or buy a real MP5.

He could build one out of a part kit, including rolling a receiver. Do a form 1 and build a SBR. Then buy a transferable sear and put in for full auto. This, or buy a real MP5.

Then that is still not building a full auto, that is installing an already registered Machinegun (the sear) into a semi auto rifle. I understand your point though.

A sear IS the machinegun, the only way to get one is to buy a legally registered one and they are in excess of $10,000.

Then that is still not building a full auto, that is installing an already registered Machinegun (the sear) into a semi auto rifle. I understand your point though.

A sear IS the machinegun, the only way to get one is to buy a legally registered one and they are in excess of $10,000.

Ok so go with me on this, i found an hk mp5k parts kit that is a full auto version that appears to come with everything but a receiver, if you were to buy this and build/ buy a receiver would that be legal and what form are we talking here? There's just too much bs involved i tell ya, can't we just go to walmart and buy full autos with no paper work already sheesh.

The only way to build a full auto firearm legally is to be an 07FFL and pay your SOT. The gun then belongs to the business and can only be transfered to a law enforcement agency, military, another SOT with a demo letter, or another 07FFL/SOT should you go out of busness. There is not a way to do it otherwise. Also, when you give up your SOT, you do not get to keep the gun.

Ryan

Ok so go with me on this, i found an hk mp5k parts kit that is a full auto version that appears to come with everything but a receiver, if you were to buy this and build/ buy a receiver would that be legal and what form are we talking here? There's just too much bs involved i tell ya, can't we just go to walmart and buy full autos with no paper work already sheesh.

Legal ONLY if you build it in SEMI auto ONLY along with a 16" barrel (if you are including a stock unless you going to do the paperwork for a SBR). There is NO Form or legal way for a civilian to build a MG.

To be legal for civilians the MG had to be made AND registered prior to 1986 just like in the link I posted the first time with all the details.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top