JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Good or no good?

• Amazing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mediocre

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Piece of Sh*t never ever buy

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • What the hell are you talking about?

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have been thinking about getting a muzzle brake for a future rifle that I am getting (Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag) and I want to put a muzzle brake on it. One problem, the muzzle is not threaded and I don't feel like paying $130 to get the muzzle threaded. I did some research about brakes that don't need the gun to be permanently modified and stumbled across these. Has anyone ever owned, built, or shot a gun that has had one of these? If so would you recommend them or are they just a waste of money?
Links to the websites:
#1 Choice:
<broken link removed>
#2 Choice:
<broken link removed>

I looked into these once. I would have selected the Witt Machine one based on posts I've seen about it on other forums.
If you think about the taper of the barrel, the clamp, and the direction of greatest force on the assembly, my experience in similar force situations says it will come off over time - I'd stake it myself once clamped in place.
That said, I ordered a new barrel instead, with the muzzle threaded.

[edit] You are ordering a 7mag? I don't think you'll find the recoil on a 7mag to be all that bad. At least I hope not. If you're hoping to use the brake to reduce your recoil to the point that you can see your hits, like some folks do when putting a brake on a 308, I think you'll be disappointed.

Last Edited:
Waste of money.....will end up down range with a hole in it.
:D
And before that happens it will be living on your muzzle looking very cheesy.

Assuming this 7 mag is going to be a hunting rifle, there are some downsides to having a brake on it :

Blast.
The shooter gets it and anyone beside you at the range REALLY gets it.
Trying to hunt with ear pro makes no sense, IMO.

Accuracy.
Barrelmakers have said that the act of threading a muzzle will swell it at the threads.
The muzzle is the last thing to influence bullet path on the way out.
This is why competition riflemen usually have no muzzle devices on their barrels.

On the upside :
A properly designed/installed brake will tame a big magnum in reducing felt recoil and muzzle rise.
Any lost accuracy would most likely be acceptable for hunting.

If recoil from a 7 mag bothered me, I would find a different cartridge before resorting to a brake.
First one to come to mind would be a Rem 280 or a 280 Ackley.

Those Mossbergs look very nice for the money.

I have been thinking about getting a muzzle brake for a future rifle that I am getting (Mossberg Patriot 7mm Rem Mag) and I want to put a muzzle brake on it. One problem, the muzzle is not threaded and I don't feel like paying $130 to get the muzzle threaded. I did some research about brakes that don't need the gun to be permanently modified and stumbled across these. Has anyone ever owned, built, or shot a gun that has had one of these? If so would you recommend them or are they just a waste of money?
Links to the websites:
#1 Choice:
<broken link removed>
#2 Choice:
<broken link removed>

If you belong to a range, brakes are obnoxious. I try to go when no one else, or very few other shooters are there, and I will go to the end of the bay.
If you haven't shot a 7mag, or cannot remember the recoil, you're welcome to shoot mine and see whether or not you want that kind of kick. I can shoot multiple boxes of ammo through it without any discomfort (well, at least a year ago I did).
We can then shoot my 308 unbraked, and then attach the brake, and you can see what difference it makes.

If you belong to a range, brakes are obnoxious. I try to go when no one else, or very few other shooters are there, and I will go to the end of the bay.
If you haven't shot a 7mag, or cannot remember the recoil, you're welcome to shoot mine and see whether or not you want that kind of kick. I can shoot multiple boxes of ammo through it without any discomfort (well, at least a year ago I did).
We can then shoot my 308 unbraked, and then attach the brake, and you can see what difference it makes.
I have shot a 7mm rem mag many many times throughout my life but thanks for the offer!

Waste of money! and they always mess up the finish of the barrel.

Who is charging $130 to thread a hunting rifle? :eek: I will do it for $40 less than that btw
I decent break with very efficient recoil reduction will be $50, and it's not a break that directs all the gases out the sides...Those are annoying to other shooters.
Also breaks can be unscrewed and a small cap installed if you want to shoot it unbreaked.
Some breaks do direct gases back to the shooter, and again it all depends on which brake is installed..As a gunsmith I always ask what the rifle is going to be used for.

And yes long ago some so called gunsmiths were threading barrels and the pitch diameter was within .025 or less of the rifling, and that caused problems. Nowadays I thread barrels and I guarantee you will not have accuracy problems. The only problems you will have is wanting to shoot your rifle even more, because there is almost zero recoil.

*Resurection Spell Cast*

I'm interested in one of these clamp on brakes: Clamp-on Muzzle Brakes – Kahntrol Solutions

I would be interested in direct experience. I don't care if it looks ugly: function over form. I don't care if it makes me a wimp, I already must be because I have 300 WSM that caused me six months of elbow and wrist pain coming down from my shoulder that was severe enough that I could barely use a mouse let alone shoot even a .22. I was developing a load for it and may have shot it a bit much over the course of a month or two (~30-50 rds/weekend) but that's what I like doing -- without some recoil management, I will probably not use it again.

Right after WWII the military was looking to standardize their sniper rifles. One of the options was the M1D. This rifle had a clamp on flash hider that attached to the bayonet lug. By all accounts I've read the clamp on device effected accuracy to the point that they were discarded.

While technology has improved in the past 60 years I don't believe there should be anything clamped to the muzzle of a barrel.

Ross Schuler Muzzle Brakes
These are not clamp-on but they're worthy of mention because they are very well done, have a great rep and pricing is very reasonable. You would want to get with @Velzey or one of his compatriots to have it installed.
I've seen some of these installed and they look magnificent.
I have two of these also. They are CNC'd by a machinist named Nathan Wright. Great person to work with. Haven't attempted to figure out why, but I perceive them to be much quieter than a tanker brake I used to use.

I will add to this thread....Since this thread is a couple years old allot of improvements have been made in the clamp on muzzle brake game.
There are some decent low profile brakes available now.
And that M1 carbine flash hider has always cracked me up. I love seeing that WING NUT on the end of the barrel.

A few people I know who are also, like me, Swiss rifle shooters, have applied the Swiss Products clamp-on muzzle brake to their K31 rifles. These precision-made devices are so finely-made that it is very difficult to see that they are not a permanent and intrinsic part of the end of the barrel. I've fired a K31 - not mine - without it, and then with it, and the difference is remarkable. The K31, shooting GP11, feels somewhat like a .30-06, and when you see that it is shooting a 174gr bullet at 2650 fps, you can see what I mean. Adding the muzzle brake to that gun reduces recoil, according to Swiss Products of Kalispell MT, by about one-third, making prone shooting somewhat easier on the shoulder for those for whom it would otherwise be problematical.

This image is from the web page of Swiss Products, to whom I am indebted for its use.

1581634488517.png

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads