Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Civil War numbers

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Good Looking Rifled Musket...nice to see what appears to be a original sling as well...very cool.

Your question , while a good one , may be difficult to answer , if there are no other unit markings...Lots of "K" Companies and 10th Regiments...during the war and after , at both the State and Federal level.
The 1864 series of Rifled Muskets were used well after the war as well...so it could easily be a Post War number....

Something else to keep in mind here..just because its a Rifled Musket , does not mean that it was actually issued to a Infantry Unit...plenty of Cavalry units , again at both a State and Federal level were issued "Infantry Arms"...

Or it could be a "rack number" of some sort , not a Unit ID...
It may even be a foreign marking...as many of these arms were sold overseas after the war...
( That said , it appears to my eye as a US stamping of some sort )

I'll look through my books today and see if I can add to the confusion...
Andy

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Yeah 60-80 grains of 2F and a .58 mine ball will solve most any issues one can run into...:D
Again neat rifled musket...and I am glad to hear that it still goes out hunting...
Andy

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online