Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Chinese reaction to American gun rights

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by spengo, Oct 5, 2010.

1. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

MANLY TEARS

How Guns Are Sold In American Wal-Marts, Chinese Reactions – chinaSMACK

2. gettersideways

gettersideways PNW New Member

Interesting view points... I like the one from the site that says their countries population would be halfed within 10 years if they had the same access to guns as americans.

3. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Very, very intesting.

Keith

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

The Chinese people seem to understand the right to keep and bear arms better than half our own society does...

5. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

could it be because the chairman said "real political power comes out of the barrel of a gun"

6. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

The Mao quote is:
    "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."
    "Problems of War and Strategy" (November 6, 1938), Selected Works, Vol. II, p. 224.

I see this guy's opinion as the flipside of our old bromide, "An armed society is a polite society."

The Chinese aren't polite because they don't have to be. Nobody will paste you one in the nose if you try to cheat them, cut in front of them in line, or serve their food cold. Strangely, theirs is a pretty low-stress interchange, since nobody takes it personally.

It's even reflected in their driving styles, the way everybody cuts everybody off, everybody leans on the horn, nobody gives anybody a break even when it would help all concerned, and yet the drivers don't seem to get mad - or get even. They just accept it.

China is a whole nation of chiselers who are better capitalists than Americans in the most Machiavellian sense, but they're trapped by the stereotypical Asian fear of failure. They reward success, but they punish failure so much more severely that their senses of creativity and inspiration are utterly extinguished by their family and educational norms.

Here's an interesting example: Remember the tainted baby-formula scandal? Nobody in China cared so long as the dead babies were all foreigners, but as soon as Chinese babies started to die, they had to find a few businessmen to try and execute for their crimes. Flash forward a year or so, and the Chinese babies start to die again. Somebody used the same load of tainted powder to make formula all over again! Sure enough, businessmen knew they'd end up tried and executed, but they just couldn't resist the temptation of a quick buck.

I've travelled extensively in China and Korea over the past five years, usually with native speakers, and I even married myself one.