JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1100
Manufacturer
Other / Not Listed
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Beaverton
State
Oregon
Zip Code
Please note: If you are looking for a rifle you can just pick up from the FFL, swing by Bi-Mart for some ammo and head off into the woods, this is NOT the rifle for you :)

But that being said, this MIGHT be the rifle for you! If you have never seen one of these before, they were made about 10 or 15 years ago, got pretty good reviews in the gun mags and for whatever reason they were never produced in any great numbers. Part of the reason was likely the reputation of poor accuracy which had two main causes, the first being the Lyman sight they chose was only sort of adjustable for elevation and had no windage adjustment. That would be ok if it was chambered for 357 or 45lc or something, but terrible for the 38-55. More problematic was whoever was responsible for polishing the tang was super heavy handed and the tang slopes to the right, which tips the rear sight to the right causing the gun to shoot to the right and with no windage adjustment the front sight had to be drifted to the right, but on some of them the tip was so bad the front sight was hanging on by a hair!
This is complicated by the SN being stamped on the tang so you can't really grind the tang flat so the rear sight needs to be shimmed or the sight base can be filed/milled and in the case of the sight I picked up for it, glass bedded to fit the tang after it it is squared up The Soule XL Middle Range Creedmoor sight has windage in the base and is vertically adjustable so that it can be set perpendicular to the bore.
The front sight on this one has been drifted and you can tell someone tried to peen the slot to hold it in place. A better solution is to replace it with a sight with a built in bubble level. I will stick a link to some of this at the bottom of this ad
The barrel is drilled for a period correct scope mount, the plug screws are missing. The bluing is in gorgeous, the wood to metal fit is very good and there are only a few small scratches on the wood. There is also a small rust(?) spot on the butt plate that I haven't made any effort to clean up.
I don't have any 38-55 ammo so I have not shot it, but I loaded 4 primed 30-30 cases and they all fired, 2 with the unset trigger and 2 with the set trigger. For all they got almost right on this the set trigger is a thing of beauty!
Handloading for this is likely a must and from what I have read Starline brass is the way to go.
Also, this is a 3/4 ish scale Sharps and it's tiny so if you are over 6" tall of have extra large hands it might be too small for you. I included a photo comparing the trigger guard area to a 1911

Picked this up by a tequila inspired accident because I have always wanted one, got the Soule sight, and ran out of cash and motivation (mostly cash :( ) to finish it.

Asking $1,100 for the rifle and sight, I think I might have 50 or so once fired 30-30 cases that can be fired formed into 38-55 that I'll include if I can find them

Not really interested in trades at this time

I'm sure I forgot something, so feel free to ask any questions you may have

No bubble level in this one

Lyman 01.JPG

Lyman 02.JPG
Lyman 03.JPG
Lyman 04.JPG
Lyman 05.JPG

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
I found 60 once fired 30-30, been deprimed and tumbled and I have 50 CCI 200 LRP I'll include as well. The process of fireforming is pretty easy, the recommendation is either to shoot straight up or down to avoid the case setting a bit off center in the chamber and coming out lopsided
Here's a video on it and apologies in advance, I tried to find the least 'gun guy in his garage' video I could, but the genre is what it is

I was asked how much would it cost to finish this, so I thought I would add that info here as well, and the answerer is, not all that much :)

If you are even halfway handy, shimming the rear sight is really just getting some brass from a hobby store or even cutting up and folding a aluminum can and by trial and error finding the correct amount required under the right side of the rear sight base to bring the staff vertical.
Some old timers on forums that deal with Sharps and other rifles that have tang sights recommend using oiled paper, like business cards on the theory brass and aluminum might corrode but they also think business cards are a thing :s0114:

The front sight would likely be this one for $98.00

Not that handy? I haven't gotten quotes on this particular job, but in the past I have had stuff like this done and it has never been over $200.00, so even if it was that high and adding some for 'just because' figure paying a 'smith to do this would almost certainly be under $300.00

The follow up question was "If it's so cheep, why haven't you finished it?" Fair question, and the answerer is that I Am Poor. :s0092:

We lost a bunch during the recession and because the march of time only goes one way, focusing on retirement and keeping non-firearms bills in check is the #1 priority and all my fun/gun money needs to come from selling other firearms and nothing else I have put up for sale lately has sold, so here we are. There are some other projects and guns I want to do and selling this will let me do those things.

And eventually I will be bored of those things and want to get something else so those will be up for sale

Circle-Of-Life.gif

I know this sounds stupid, but I forgot I had dies for this! :s0114:

Brand new unused Lee 3 die set and a Lyman M die are now included and I'm dropping the price $100.00 :)

New price with dies is $1,100.00

3855dies.jpg

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.