JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After looking over CG's gear list for their classes, I have a couple of questions for @Cerberus Group... I'm posting them as a thread instead of an email or PM so that everyone can get involved and we're not all asking the same questions privately. These pertain specifically to the NWFA Run The Gun Course(s).

1) You mention pads or a mat. Will a drag bag suffice? Is this a fairly static course of fire, or would knee/elbow pads be better?

2) Is this geared more towards "real world" equipment? Like a solid belt, holster, mag carrier setup, a USPCA rig, or a battle-belt 'n plate carrier Gecko45 deal? I know which one I'm ready for (I do not currently own an armor-plated briefcase).

3) August in south central Washington... Hot AF, or dress in layers? Shorts a no-go on your course? Rocks? Monsters? Just quit being a baby and wear long pants like a grown-up?

4) Coolers allowed? BYOB accepted, but with considerable gear-toting involved, is parking close enough to run out to your vehicle for a water bottle during breaks, or best to consider the cooler as essential on-site equipment?

There's probably other questions. Most of us will be traveling a couple of hours or more so forgotten or overlooked gear is gear "not on hand" for the duration. I'm not looking for hand-holding, just want everyone involved (including @Cerberus Group personnel) to have an enjoyable and educational experience while not having to deal with a bunch of noob mistakes and/or oversights.

Thanks, guys,
Jonny Y

Good questions;

1 - A static course, no mat or pad needed.

2 - I tell folks to bring what they use. We do not critique gear unless a few things arise;
1- The gear presents a safety issue
2 - The gear interferes with efficiency of running the gun
3 - We are asked to critique

There are two theatres of operation, public and home. Public, you won't be slinging a rifle, so concealed is about the only option. At home, there's two areas of concern, day and night. Day, you'll most likely grab what is available and respond to deal with the situation. Night.. underwear and fuzzy slippers, you'll also grab what's available...train accordingly.

Am not saying don't train with plates, vest etc., as it's imperative to know how things will function in harmony with how you operate, but the focus of your training is how you'd respond now with the time given to do so.

3 - It gets hot, shorts are ok.

4 - Parking is close by, but coolers on the range off to the side in designated areas are ok.

To more elaborate on the class. Some folks confuse the name of the class as Run n Gun, instead of its actual name, Run the Gun.

I came up with this course years ago after seeing people flounder in classes where their caboose is on fire while sliding under vehicles etc, yet when something stopped with their weapon(s) they stopped or hesitated. Then observing them fix the problem, a lot of nervous fumbling etc, when smooth deliberate action was needed. I also saw this with members of entry teams.

This class is static, learning to run your weapon so it does not run you. Running it with efficiency and confidence. When we get to that point, we can light the caboose on fire.

Most classes can be taught without firing a round, as most is weapon and body manipulation. Pressing the trigger is the last part to learn, yes very important...but if you don't get the other stuff down, the trigger press is all for naught.

Last Edited:
First NWFA Member training combo class offered is this Friday, June 22 0830 runs for 8-10hrs, and covers both rifle and pistol.

If you've ever thought about attending any training, or thought about training with me, this is a good introduction.

Low key, intro to basic weapon manipulation and street skills that lay the foundation for further skill building.

Came here to ask the same questions. Well done, Jonnyuma. Sounds like we're not expected to be setup for high speed low drag, which is good as I'm not quite there yet. Need to lose another 50 pounds and my bubblegum will drag much less. :)

No, not setting the caboose on fire with this class. Will not need any pads, and I run a 2-point sling, so you're in good company.

The "Run the Gun" classes are my favorite to instruct...as it gets people ready for running and gunning. But this class will prepare you for wherever you go to do that, be it with me or another school.

Came here to ask the same questions. Well done, Jonnyuma. Sounds like we're not expected to be setup for high speed low drag, which is good as I'm not quite there yet. Need to lose another 50 pounds and my bubblegum will drag much less. :)
I changed my "load-out" to just EDC type of stuff and a couple of spare guns in case mine (or somebody else's) goes down.
No battle-belt or comp stuff.
Still looking for ammo deals... my Father's Day Sales plan was a bit of a bust... couldn't find much. I may have to dig into my personal reserves. O well, they'll make more.

I'll have ammo here for sale if folks need anything, what are you wanting?
I've been looking for deals on 9mm... most of the places I usually go to are about on par w Bi-Mart plus shipping... around $100/500.
What have you got on sight for brass cased 9? I like a heavier slug, but 115gr is fine too. That's what usually has the lowest cost per rd.

I've been looking for deals on 9mm... most of the places I usually go to are about on par w Bi-Mart plus shipping... around $100/500.

There was a guy here (Badclam?) who was selling 9mm and .223 in anticipation of a move for good prices. Don't know if he's still here.

And there is Target Sports USA with free shipping on bulk ammo.

And there is Target Sports USA with free shipping on bulk ammo.
These are the guys I'll probably go with if I don't find something locally.
I got 5.56 from Brownells, pd under $150 for 500 on stripper clips, in a metal can. The clips are important to me because I load off them... I don't have a fancy gizmo for AR mag loading so I'll pay a little more for those.
The other scenario has me loading loosies into clips (or magazines) until my eyes glaze over...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top