Cerakote DIY

Reactions
With the right tools you can do the job like a pro. And these tools you can use forever , no throw away crap from harbor freight. I purchased a Devilbiss startingline touch up gun, charbroil 30" electric smoker , and I built a backdraft paint booth. The spray gun is everything, .08-1.0 tip and the gun paint adjustment is easy to put the perfect atomized the paint perfectly. Make sure you purchase a good water/oil seperator for your compressor.

Here is my first rifle I just finished and plan on doing many more.. tungsten metallic
IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG
IMG_4581.JPG

OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
IMG_0881.JPG And the smoker, take all the crap out and seal the vent system on it and your ready to go. Holds 300 plus degrees very easily. This makes doing long barrels and long handguards much easier. Amazon has these smoker cheap and Prime shipping. Do waste your whole weekend building some locker box water heater element bs oven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions
link to the smoker please, nice job by the way, been coating with duracoat for a couple of years now, wanting to do cerakote also but the baking has always got in the way. Youll also find that perfect prep leads to amazing outcomes. I also use an airbrush with 2 oz bottles, makes getting in the all the little cracks easier without overspraying everything else.

Reactions
With the right tools you can do the job like a pro. And these tools you can use forever , no throw away crap from harbor freight. I purchased a Devilbiss startingline touch up gun, charbroil 30" electric smoker , and I built a backdraft paint booth. The spray gun is everything, .08-1.0 tip and the gun paint adjustment is easy to put the perfect atomized the paint perfectly. Make sure you purchase a good water/oil seperator for your compressor.

Here is my first rifle I just finished and plan on doing many more.. tungsten metallic
View attachment 337691
View attachment 337694

View attachment 337696
View attachment 337697
Looks DAMN nice. You could no doubt get the money back doing some of these for others.

OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
Almost went with the binks, just like the stainless parts on the Devilbiss since cerakote requires never to touch plastics with the mixed paint. The atomization I get with this devilbiss is pretty unbelievable. Binks makes a really good gun, try to stay away from their plastic gravity cups feeds though.

Looks good, OP.
I got a brand new Binks and guns I should test out

Reactions
Yeah. I'm sure a rebuild kit is available for it. The Binks units were the rave. Still very highly rated.
there's probably cobwebs on the dang thing...lol

OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
Ya they have been the Ferrari of HVLP for a long time and if I remember they invented the LVLP gun.

Yeah. I'm sure a rebuild kit is available for it. The Binks units were the rave. Still very highly rated.
there's probably cobwebs on the dang thing...lol

Velzey

Reactions
Looks great! What type of blasting media did you use prior to coating? And the all important degreasing. What type of solvent did you use?
The smoker will also work great for degassing prior to coating!

OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
120 aluminum oxide blasting @ 90psi for metal parts, 60 psi for plastic or poly parts. Pre-gassed at 300, acetone bath prior to pre-gas and after pre-gas. Built a stainless tank for the acetone bath, big enough for a 24" barrels. Blow off acetone immediately with clean air. If you let the acetone air dry or evaporate it leaves a weird trail what looks like a moisture dry trail. (If that makes sense) It also helps that all my parts are brand new and never used.

Looks great! What type of blasting media did you use prior to coating? And the all important degreasing. What type of solvent did you use?
The smoker will also work great for degassing prior to coating!

Reactions
Wish you were close. I'd chat with ya about the possibility of doing my new set.
You mention media blasting with aluminum oxide. I'll assume this is performed on anodize? Or raw?

OP
KeepnitReel
Reactions
It works on all coatings, I do purchase all my 80% lowers in raw billet and my uppers as well. Some people say you only need to etch the coating on your parts, I blast them to the raw, but it's easy when you have a compressor putting out 25cfm at 90psi

Wish you were close. I'd chat with ya about the possibility of doing my new set.
You mention media blasting with aluminum oxide. I'll assume this is performed on anodize? Or raw?

Reactions
I was thinking your application was on the raw. I'm just beginning the looking into getting my anodized set done. I've a hard time justifying the application of any coating will adhere well without etching. Then, is it similar to say, scotchbriting (<word) paint where the "tooth" diminishes if said topcoat is not applied in reasonable time? As I said, my looking into the process has recently, just begun. I like to know exactly how the process works. Type 3 HC anodize is hard to beat for durability/longevity. Also, my compressor in my shop is compared to non-potable drinking water to paint application.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Helpful and Handy
    I have shopped, transferred, bought, browsed, or merely stopped in for a friendly hello or two, and every time without fail I left feeling better...
    • 10mm
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Definitely recommended
    friendly people, great prices on guns ammo tools, jewelry, other pawn shop stuff, always been easy to deal with
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Responsive, courteous, great comms and absolutely reasonable!
    Bought a firearm from a local NWF's member and as I live in Idaho it had to transfer through a local FFL. The Seller picked A Cut Above... The...
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Another sterling experience A+
    Tyler is a great man and this place is a treasure. Reasonable fees and excellent service. Kind and polite. No BS. I will keep coming back.
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Great FFL Gun Transfers.
    Last Saturday morning. Me & the wife bought a pistol from another great Northwestfirearm's member. Meet up A Cut Above pawn shop. Wife had a...
Top Bottom